Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
How the hell would we have won with those teams? Roy would not have won with those teams either. Again, he never won as a huge underdog either.

Absolutely true that the 86 and 93 Habs weren't expected to win. But he didn't play the Oilers or even the Flyers in 86 nor did he beat the Pens in '93. He played evenly matched tams or worse the whole way.
Biggest challenge in 93 was Quebec.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Biggest challenge in 93 was Quebec.
Yes. 2nd biggest was probably Hartford.

Not going to refute your argument about Price and the '14 Boston series, but Roy and the Avalanche beat the 131 point Red Wings in the '96 Conference finals. If that isn't a huge upset, I don't know what is.
Not a huge upset by any stretch.

He plays great once every 5-10 games and people still think he deserves his contract :huh:
He has a bad game once every 5-10 games.

You can tell because it's the only time this thread gets bumped.

Roy won two Stanley Cups almost by himself in 86 and 93....
He was unreal for sure. Those Conn Smythes were well deserved.

But he didn't have guys misplaying pucks all over the place in front of him either. Great defensive team. Once the team headed South in Montreal, he bolted for Colorado. He never played a season with a team as bad as Price has had over the course of most of his career.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
see above post. Bennington was part of a good team that peaked at the right time.
Life can be unfair. Bennington right place at right time and played very very well.
Price in the playoffs, I havent been as impressed.
You're impressed by one run of .914 vs five playoff runs averaging .922.

Okay...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
How the hell would we have won with those teams? Roy would not have won with those teams either. Again, he never won as a huge underdog either.

Absolutely true that the 86 and 93 Habs weren't expected to win. But he didn't play the Oilers or even the Flyers in 86 nor did he beat the Pens in '93. He played evenly matched tams or worse the whole way.
From Roys first cup in 86 to his next one in 93 no goalie had his numbers in the playoffs. GAA of under 2.2 and save percentage of .929 like he did. Let that sink in when talking about clutch.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Umm...sorry, since the last time we have won the cup, I have yet to watch a Habs team that I thought, "wow, that's a pretty good team". Not one season where I thought we had a sniffing chance at the cup. Or even get far in the playoffs. And those years we actually done well? Well, I was mostly astonished (truly truly shocked) we actually done well, considering the team that was fielded. Sorry, maybe my standards are higher but I have never felt we had a good team in front of Price. One that was trending up and promising? Sure. But actually good? Let alone great? Nope. Sorry. I mean, we haven't even had a true good #1 C during that period of time. Let alone a star #1 C. Heck, a star forward. We haven't had one of those during Price's time either. Again, sorry but at least to me, we have only had, at best, an average team that may have over achieved in front of Price, if not, and in most years, a crappy team in front of Price.
Well this is an opinion board and you've stated yours . That's fair and I respect that.
but the objective data points to you being wrong.
Price had teams that were 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall. Those are not bad teams and surely ones a superstar goalie could have led on a long run and perhaps a cup.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm more impressed by the cup win.

You’re on Binnington hard thinking he’s amazing. He won a cup with a save % lower then Price’e career save percentage that extends 11-12 years. Just step down. You’re making a fool of yourself. It’s a team game. Wake up.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You’re on Binnington hard thinking he’s amazing. He won a cup with a save % lower then Price’e career save percentage that extends 11-12 years. Just step down. You’re making a fool of yourself. It’s a team game. Wake up.
And you guys are using my one example of Bennington to deflect the fact that the "great" Carey Price has never sniffed the cup or taken his team (2nd, 3rd and 7th overall) on any type of run.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
From Roys first cup in 86 to his next one in 93 no goalie had his numbers in the playoffs. GAA of under 2.2 and save percentage of .929 like he did. Let that sink in when talking about clutch.
Absolutely wicked. Kudos to him, he deserved the Smythe.

He also didn't have a big upset in any of those series wins. We were evenly matched at least in all of them.

And Roy LOST us a lot of series against Boston btw. His two great runs were amazing but he sucked against Boston. We got murdered by them even when we were outplaying them. When was the last time we lost a series because of Price?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Absolutely wicked. Kudos to him, he deserved the Smythe.

He also didn't have a big upset in any of those series wins. We were evenly matched at least in all of them.
Carey played on Hab teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall. None of those would have been upsets for him to win the Cup in those years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Carey played on Hab teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall.
And those teams were bottom third in all things not goaltending.
None of those would have been upsets for him to win the Cup in those years.
Depends on who they would've played.

We were expected to get blown out in '14 and we pulled the upset there. I can't think of Roy ever doing something like that over the course of his career. Somebody mentioned '96 but the Avalanche were huge contenders there, it wasn't a huge upset with that team either.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
And you guys are using my one example of Bennington to deflect the fact that the "great" Carey Price has never sniffed the cup or taken his team (2nd, 3rd and 7th overall) on any type of run.

Who gives a **** if he never sniffs one? The contract is Bergevin’s fault. You’re trying to make this insane claim Binnington, a nobody is better then Price because he won a cup when Price has better career stats in the playoffs which is fact while also attacking him at the same time for not accomplishing the same because of... I don’t even know what your argument is. There is a 19-20 player roster that needs to be good enough to win. Stop whining about Price, who isn’t hurting us cap wise and has never had a team as good as St. Louis. Two other goalies in Florida have broke the high salary mark and more will continue. You can stop whining about that too. That’s the market with the cap where it is.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Carey played on Hab teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 7th overall. None of those would have been upsets for him to win the Cup in those years.

If you think Desharnais and Plekanec as top 2 center is good enough to win the Cup based on the regular season….then you really don't know much about hockey. Win the middle , win the game.

You can't name me one goaltender that brought a mediocre team to the Stanley Cup
And you can'T name me one team that made it with that crap of a center line.

All you theory is based on what Roy did 30 years ago….unless you don't understand the notion of parity that has transform this league into a different beast or you simply can't let go of the past.

And once again: The Cup is won by a team, not a player.
That's really basic you know.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Who gives a **** if he never sniffs one? The contract is Bergevin’s fault. You’re trying to make this insane claim Binnington, a nobody is better then Price because he won a cup when Price has better career stats in the playoffs which is fact while also attacking him at the same time for not accomplishing the same because of... I don’t even know what your argument is. There is a 19-20 player roster that needs to be good enough to win. Stop whining about Price, who isn’t hurting us cap wise and has never had a team as good as St. Louis. Two other goalies in Florida have broke the high salary mark and more will continue. You can stop whining about that too. That’s the market with the cap where it is.
Typical , blame MB. More excuses for Price.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Typical , blame MB. More excuses for Price.

It’s the opposite. What has Bergevin done for Price in comparison? Give your head a shake. We could have a potentially awful contract several years from now from him carrying Bergevin on his shoulders so many years. You’re bringing up hall of fame teams while throwing the only guy who would be a sure thing hall of fame talent had he been born in the right era. What the **** has Bergevin done other then lateral trades with wins in areas that don’t tip the scale at all. I don’t get how anyone can still be so blind to the truth.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Playing on bad teams is not an excuse.

Is it an 'excuse' to say McDavid plays on a crappy team and that's why he never makes the playoffs? I don't think so.
Price played on teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 7th overall. Last time I checked that was pretty good. Who wasnt the playoff performer?

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Price played on teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, and 7th overall. Last time I checked that was pretty good. Who wasnt the playoff performer?
Finishing 2,3,7 is a team stat but not making it far in the playoffs is a price stat. Which one is it?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Finishing 2,3,7 is a team stat but not making it far in the playoffs is a price stat. Which one is it?
opposite. I got posters saying it was Price who led the team to these great finishes and that we had crap teams.
So I say if it indeed was Price responsible for the great regular season why not Price be responsible for winning a championship or a long playoff run ?
You cant have it both ways.
We clearly had a TEAM that could finish that high with our goalie being our best player.
Yet playoff time comes and.....

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What about the 2-3-goals from the blue line to Cam Neely per Bruins series? Roy was nothing special 89-92 inclusive Mike Vernon, Lemelin and Andy Moog all outplayed him by a wide margin. Had the Sabres not pulled off a minor miracle in 93, Bruins would’ve again taken the Habs out let alone Pens.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I find his playooff performances to be somewhat of a letdown too. I find his entire career to be completely over hyped. He's in the mix as the top goalie of his career, but ppl act like he's the clear choice. I don't buy it and I don't buy all his teams were a mess.

He's a very good goalie. He will never be top 5 or top 10 all time like many seem to act like he is. Patrick Roy he'll never be.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I find his playooff performances to be somewhat of a letdown too. I find his entire career to be completely over hyped. He's in the mix as the top goalie of his career, but ppl act like he's the clear choice. I don't buy it and I don't buy all his teams were a mess.

He's a very good goalie. He will never be top 5 or top 10 all time like many seem to act like he is. Patrick Roy he'll never be.

He is top 5 or top 10 of his generation….Roy is two generation ago and he was one of the best, if not the best goalie of his generation. Is Price top 5 all-time, nope he's not….but that doesn't take away the fact that there's not many goalie i would take ahead of Price in the last 5 years.

The sad thing about Price's career is that he won everything…..EVERYTHING, except for the Stanley Cup and unless someone can convince me (good luck) that even in one year we had half the team to do it, i'm not blaming him for this since it's a trophy given to a team. If he had the team to do it and never been able to go far in the PO, then it would be on him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Roy is a HOF and major factor in last two Habs Cups...but how many HOFers did he play with on the Habs and Avs vs Price?

Price never had a Gainey or Big Bird to help as a rookie or a Forsberg, Sakic et al just sayin..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad