4th - 23 yo : 5th
5th - 24 yo : no votes
6th - 25 yo : 10th
7th - 26 yo : 4th
8th - 27 yo : WIN - 1st
9th - 28 yo : injured
10th - 29 yo : NOMINATION - 3rd
11th - 30 yo : no votes
12th - 31 yo : not nominated.. assuredly top 10, maybe top 5.

Carey Price Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
In Price's 12 year career here are his vezina finishes as voted by NHL GMs :

1st - 20 yo : 9th
2nd - 21 yo : no votes
3rd - 22 yo : no votes
4th - 23 yo : 5th
5th - 24 yo : no votes
6th - 25 yo : 10th
7th - 26 yo : 4th
8th - 27 yo : WIN - 1st
9th - 28 yo : injured
10th - 29 yo : NOMINATION - 3rd
11th - 30 yo : no votes
12th - 31 yo : not nominated.. assuredly top 10, maybe top 5.

Carey Price Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Where's the love? No big deal...

What I respected for Price mindset is that's not what he's looking for. All proved it in that aspect. He's not showing off. More focusing on the collective stuffs. He made enough things to this team. As a return, this team haven't shown up anything. Remains to put pressure on him GM. To get a competitive team alongside him.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Where's the love? No big deal...

I merely posted facts. If you choose to see the facts as me not showing love then I guess that tells us your evaluation of those facts ?

What I respected for Price mindset is that's not what he's looking for. All proved it in that aspect. He's not showing off. More focusing on the collective stuffs. He made enough things to this team. As a return, this team haven't shown up anything. Remains to put pressure on him GM. To get a competitive team alongside him.

Not showing off, focusing on collective? He's a goalie. It's not like he has to sacrifice personal stats for better team results like a forward or dman could possibly have to do.

As for what he has done ? About the same thing other goalies like Lundqvist, Rinne, Brobovsky, Dubnyk, Bishop, Vasilevsky, Holtby, Quick, Murray, Fleury, Andersen, Crawford, Rask,etc have done ? The teams those goalies play for don't owe them anything more than our players owe Price. They're all pros and they all owe each others the best they can do given their talent level and ability to produce.

Last edited:

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
He deserved a nomination. If the GM's are using the playoffs as the baseline for them to be nominated, they really are out to lunch. Hell the players cast a vote and Price was voted top goalie by something like 30%+ of the players. Players know who's the best.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He deserved a nomination. If the GM's are using the playoffs as the baseline for them to be nominated, they really are out to lunch. Hell the players cast a vote and Price was voted top goalie by something like 30%+ of the players. Players know who's the best.
I thought he might get the nod because of his GP in comparison to other goalies. I don't think he was a top 3 goalie this year though, but he was likely 5-6th

Reactions: the valiant effort

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Sugar Domi said:
I merely posted facts. If you choose to see the facts as me not showing love then I guess that tells us your evaluation of those facts ?
Where's love of his peers. Like not being on Top 3... I guess IMHO, he did pretty well in this 2018/2019 season. I'm reseeing again the Pricer that I knew before. That being said, I accept their decisions tho.

Sugar Domi said:
Not showing off, focusing on collective? He's a goalie. It's not like he has to sacrifice personal stats for better team results like a forward or dman could possibly have to do.
He's sacrificing his personal career prime years. On being on an bubble team. Without showing off that he's bigger than our organization. Just being humbe as always. Or that he's the best goalie of the world.
Sugar Domi said:
As for what he has done ? About the same thing other goalies like Lundqvist, Rinne, Brobovsky, Dubnyk, Bishop, Vasilevsky, Holtby, Quick, Murray, Fleury, Andersen, Crawford, Rask,etc have done ? The teams those goalies play for don't owe them anything more than our players owe Price. They're all pros and they all owe each others the best they can do given their talent level and ability to produce.
What's the difference between Price and Lunqvist/ Rinne/ Brobovsky/ Dubnyk /Bishop /Vasilevsky /Holtby /Quick/Etc? One is not on the same situation than them. Producing miracles and help the team to be where they don't necessarly deserve to be. It's the indispensable player of the 1909. The foundation stone. If he collapses the whole team falls. All this franchise is build on him. Price let us a chance to win and steal games. He's more criticized than the other players whose their job is to score goals. Alone, he can't transforming the Montreal Canadiens into a contender. He's a goalie ffs. But in Montreal we depend on him. What he has done over the last nine years is superb...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Drouin must be operating under a different paradigm than the one you just described.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Drouin must be operating under a different paradigm than the one you just described.

I'm not sure what Drouin has got to do with this thread but Drouin is criticized heavily for his 3 pts during the last 18 games of the season where he was a passenger most nights. Not sure how he's operating under a different paradigm.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Vezina isn't really a "who's the best goalie" award though. It's who had the best year. And really it comes down to one stat... save percentage. Right or wrong that's how goalies are judged.

The one thing I don't agree with that creeps in with this award (as well as the Norris) is that votes are given/taken away if the team made the playoffs. I don't think that should have anything to do with it. That's why we have the Hart award. THAT I can see the playoffs meaning something.

As for this year, I had Price pegged in the top five not a Vezina finalist. I don't think Lehner should've been a nominee and I'd have said the same for Bishop but his numbers were simply too good to ignore. Personally I'd give it to Vasilevski but he's behind a stacked team so you could make a good argument that Bishop deserves it more. He had something like four shutouts in a row and his numbers went through the roof. The guy who I think really got boned was Kuemper. I don't get how he didn't get into the top three except his team didn't make the playoffs.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Where's love of his peers. Like not being on Top 3... I guess IMHO, he did pretty well in this 2018/2019 season. I'm reseeing again the Pricer that I knew before. That being said, I accept their decisions tho.

Yes it was reassuring to see Price play well again.

He's sacrificing his personal career prime years. On being on an bubble team. Without showing off that he's bigger than our organization. Just being humbe as always. Or that he's the best goalie of the world.

What you are praising as some noble act of sacrifice from Price is merely expected normal behavior from a professional athlete who has chosen to extend his career in Montreal for a very lucrative amount. He made a choice to stay in Montreal for money. It would be pathetic if he was acting bigger than the team after choosing to sign here. He had the chance to get out if it was so bad here. Now he must act like a professional. Not sure why you're setting the bar so low for him. The habs don't owe him any special treatment or consideration aside from his contract.

As for him being humble. I thought his answer to what he would say to UFAs to convince them to sign in Montreal was pretty revealing :

"I would tell them that obviously my window is growing smaller and I really want to win more than ever, so I think that should be a pretty good indication of how bad we want to win here" -Carey Price

I cringed when I read that. Talk about buying into your own hype. Does he think of himself as a Hasek, Roy or Brodeur that players should want to sign in Montreal before Price's window is over ? I would only excuse a comment as silly as "my window is growing smaller" with real legends which IMO Price is nowhere near of. Also quite the sale's pitch : UFAs, come one come all, sign here for 7 years quick since my window is growing smaller. But it's ok he wants to win more than ever, so I guess it proves how the whole team automatically does as well, it's only logical and not self-centered at all.

Not too sure how he's humble aside from saying the usual empty platitudes about how his teammates are playing well when he himself has a good game. At any rate, being humble is not very important. He can brag all he wants if he wins us a cup.

What's the difference between Price and Lunqvist/ Rinne/ Brobovsky/ Dubnyk /Bishop /Vasilevsky /Holtby /Quick/Etc? One is not on the same situation than them. Producing miracles and help the team to be where they don't necessarly deserve to be. It's the indispensable player of the 1909. The foundation stone. If he collapses the whole team falls. All this franchise is build on him. Price let us a chance to win and steal games. He's more criticized than the other players whose their job is to score goals. Alone, he can't transforming the Montreal Canadiens into a contender. He's a goalie ffs. But in Montreal we depend on him. What he has done over the last nine years is superb...

Some of these goalies are also playing or have played on bad teams. Brobovsky won the vezina while his team missed the playoffs a few seasons ago.

As for Price collapsing and the whole team falling, just look at the blackhawks. If your #1 goalie gets injured for the whole season and you have a crappy backup, even good teams will fall. It's not unique to Price or the habs.

Reactions: Da Grinder

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's a f***ing shame that we've had the gongshow that we have here. We've wasted this guy and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's a ****ing shame that we've had the gongshow that we have here. We've wasted this guy and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Price should have laid down the gauntlet about 2-3 seasons ago behind closed doors with Molson...that would have got us a real GM.

Price has now stated publically that his window is no longer as wide as it was, he has to win now....this was also said by Weber at the end of the year PC. The organization will no longer be able to hide behind low expectations, because the GM needs another 5-7 seasons...

As for the Vezina, Price and Fleury both deserved a nod.....but in the big picture, the Vezina nod is not really important to either.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
All the predictions were trending on the verge that the Habs sucking big time another year. He assured to the media he'll try to make all the people wrong. He reversed that situation into a real hope on being almost qualifying at the PO. Meanwhile, his backup partner shitted on his bed... So, they augmented his number of games. Despite the fatigue during that long stretch, Carey never stopped to be the #1 player by stepping up big time his game at the rink.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
His numbers were abysmal until Weber returned. Then he went All World again. The left side of the defense is not pretty. I can only imagine the numbers he'd generate if MB got some immediate left side help

Reactions: Milhouse40

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
His numbers were abysmal until Weber returned. Then he went All World again. The left side of the defense is not pretty. I can only imagine the numbers he'd generate if MB got some immediate left side help
Even before the Webs return. From when Price was benched for two straight games on November 2018. He rested well. From the 08/11 to the 14/11. Getting ultimately back his mojo for good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price should have laid down the gauntlet about 2-3 seasons ago behind closed doors with Molson...that would have got us a real GM.

Price has now stated publically that his window is no longer as wide as it was, he has to win now....this was also said by Weber at the end of the year PC. The organization will no longer be able to hide behind low expectations, because the GM needs another 5-7 seasons...

As for the Vezina, Price and Fleury both deserved a nod.....but in the big picture, the Vezina nod is not really important to either.
Hopefully it forces a decision one way or another.

I'd hate to trade Price but if it means a concrete direction for us to rebuild then it's probably better for him and us. If it forces things the other way that's fine too. But we can't just sit here doing nothing for another couple of years wasting him the way we have. It just sucks how we've handled things. He's a HOF talent and we've done nothing with it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hopefully it forces a decision one way or another.

I'd hate to trade Price but if it means a concrete direction for us to rebuild then it's probably better for him and us. If it forces things the other way that's fine too. But we can't just sit here doing nothing for another couple of years wasting him the way we have. It just sucks how we've handled things. He's a HOF talent and we've done nothing with it.
Absolutely agree..........how we have handled this, is a byproduct of having a team ala Torranna where the stands are filled, and the jerseys are bought, and the on ice product is secondary. Absolute Shame....Mol$on is at fault here....let's hope Price and Weber both gave it to them, at their exit interviews this year.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's a ****ing shame that we've had the gongshow that we have here. We've wasted this guy and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
He stayed loyal to his former team. This team didn't stayed loyal to her real identity of greatness. She's been used and persisting to their newest identity: the mediocrity & mediocrities. They putted him as a poster boy. Moving away, avoiding, deviating from the real problems by designating him as the main coupable at each of their debacles or collapses.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
What you are praising as some noble act of sacrifice from Price is merely expected normal behavior from a professional athlete who has chosen to extend his career in Montreal for a very lucrative amount. He made a choice to stay in Montreal for money. It would be pathetic if he was acting bigger than the team after choosing to sign here. He had the chance to get out if it was so bad here. Now he must act like a professional. Not sure why you're setting the bar so low for him. The habs don't owe him any special treatment or consideration aside from his contract.
His normal behavior been seen during his prime years. And after he signed that famous contract. Forget the money, he deserved that amount. I'm not talking about his first years as a rookie. Without the patience of the Montreal Canadiens I say maybe he wouldn't have known that same career . As a superstar and an reference for the goalie position around the National Hockey League. They prefered him over Halak. Despite all the negatives about that trade and the majority who weren't okay with that... He's grateful about that chances given. Not an ingrate person. There's players who whines a lot about their bad situations (on ice not off-ice) and would whine if they're at the place of CP. Definitely he isn't on that same category.
His normal behavior (on ice) was particularly present during his prime years. I'm not talking about his first years as a rookie. And after he signed that famous contract. Forget the money. There's other locigal reasons that he decided to stay with us. Without the patience of the Montreal Canadiens, I say maybe he wouldn't have known that same career. As a superstar and an reference for the goalie position around the National Hockey League. They preferred him over Halak. Despite all the negatives about that trade and the majority who weren't okay with that. He's grateful about that chance given. Not an ingrate person. There's players who whines a lot about their situations and would whine if they were at the place of CP (on ice not off-ice). Definitely, he isn't on that same category.
As for him being humble. I thought his answer to what he would say to UFAs to convince them to sign in Montreal was pretty revealing :
"I would tell them that obviously my window is growing smaller and I really want to win more than ever, so I think that should be a pretty good indication of how bad we want to win here" -Carey Price
I cringed when I read that. Talk about buying into your own hype. Does he think of himself as a Hasek, Roy or Brodeur that players should want to sign in Montreal before Price's window is over ? I would only excuse a comment as silly as "my window is growing smaller" with real legends which IMO Price is nowhere near of. Also quite the sale's pitch : UFAs, come one come all, sign here for 7 years quick since my window is growing smaller. But it's ok he wants to win more than ever, so I guess it proves how the whole team automatically does as well, it's only logical and not self-centered at all. Not too sure how he's humble aside from saying the usual empty platitudes about how his teammates are playing well when he himself has a good game. At any rate, being humble is not very important. He can brag all he wants if he wins us a cup.
It's in his right to demand a competitive team. We've to stop reading quickly between the lines without a time of reflexion and being reactive. Searching to deform his comments. That's what I'm not okay with us 1909 fans. If he wins us a cup? What’s about the others? Any goalie being lonely can’t win that damn Stanley Cup with that type of roster.
Some of these goalies are also playing or have played on bad teams. Brobovsky won the vezina while his team missed the playoffs a few seasons ago.
As for Price collapsing and the whole team falling, just look at the blackhawks. If your #1 goalie gets injured for the whole season and you have a crappy backup, even good teams will fall. It's not unique to Price or the habs.
There’s plenty of bad teams who were/are tanking by purpose. It ain't related to us. Their goal is to go at the PO even when we’re at all ready. When we're failing to go far at that damn PO, we’ll blame Price as always…

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s a shame. Guaranteed he gets a Vezina nod this year if we make the playoffs given who the finalists are. None of them started more then 53 games and two of them started less then 50. Great that he rebounded the way he did. The 17/18 season was very concerning given his contract extension but he bounced back perfectly.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It’s a shame. Guaranteed he gets a Vezina nod this year if we make the playoffs given who the finalists are. None of them started more then 53 games and two of them started less then 50. Great that he rebounded the way he did. The 17/18 season was very concerning given his contract extension but he bounced back perfectly.
The way Price bounced back from that 2k17-2k18 putrid season is sufficient in my eyes. Focused only on the rink part. Taken his role of leader seriously. Blamed himself during his long stretches. Found the right tips to getting out of this.

Many people gotten doubts about him. Into a sort of aggressive and definitive perceptions. I'm enjoyed when he's activating his IDGAF mode and going ahead of it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought he might get the nod because of his GP in comparison to other goalies. I don't think he was a top 3 goalie this year though, but he was likely 5-6th

Not a top 3 goalie when you include the part of the season when we had Benn, Schlemko, Ouellet, Reilly, Alzner playing D for us. Once the D stabilized, Price was most certainly one of the best. Circumstance matters. No goalie would of put of solid numbers with the D we had from Oct to end of Nov. At one point for 2 or 3 weeks in November, it was Petry and a bunch of 3rd pairing guys.

But the way Price played from Dec to end of the year was impressive. Some of the best we have seen from him and apparently he is not in his prime anymore to some :sarcasm:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not a top 3 goalie when you include the part of the season when we had Benn, Schlemko, Ouellet, Reilly, Alzner playing D for us. Once the D stabilized, Price was most certainly one of the best. Circumstance matters. No goalie would of put of solid numbers with the D we had from Oct to end of Nov. At one point for 2 or 3 weeks in November, it was Petry and a bunch of 3rd pairing guys.

But the way Price played from Dec to end of the year was impressive. Some of the best we have seen from him and apparently he is not in his prime anymore to some :sarcasm:

I don't wipe 1/4 of the season away for anyone though. His D at the end of the year was still pretty bad imo. His play wasn't up to par the first 10-15 games, I think Price himself would say that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't wipe 1/4 of the season away for anyone though. His D at the end of the year was still pretty bad imo. His play wasn't up to par the first 10-15 games, I think Price himself would say that.
He would say it but it wouldn't be true.

Weber comes back and his numbers immediately spike. It speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad