Player Discussion Carey Price - Who's Your Daddy? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Price is signed for seven more seasons. Even though he had a good bounce back season, it may be another two or three seasons before he tastes Conference Final action.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price is signed for seven more seasons. Even though he had a good bounce back season, it may be another two or three seasons before he tastes Conference Final action.
Not sure if the Habs will ever build the right type of team for this to happen.
If we beat the Leafs saturday, we will have finished with just 3 less points than the Leafs. Let that sink in for a minute. All of their firepower considered...

Price deserves better. Playing 29 out of the last 30 games. Nice. What a joke we have become. The haters will be out in full force any day now, chirping about Price, and saying squat about a clown running the show.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Stephane Waite, Shea Weber's return, the replacement of Alzner, Ouelette and Schlemko with NHL-caliber 4/5/6 defenders.......it's been a fantastic 2019 for Price and the team D.

What might have been had we had a backup who could have scraped one extra win.
I wouldn't say it was a fantastic year for our D. We give up way too many shots in close. That improved somewhat with Weber's return but we were still among the worst in the league.

Reactions: Andrei79

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Stephane Waite, Shea Weber's return, the replacement of Alzner, Ouelette and Schlemko with NHL-caliber 4/5/6 defenders.......it's been a fantastic 2019 for Price and the team D.

What might have been had we had a backup who could have scraped one extra win.

It looks like they should have at least rolled the dice with Lindgren once they lost confidence in Niemi. The team basically finished the season without a backup goalie, which is insane.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I wouldn't say it was a fantastic year for our D. We give up way too many shots in close. That improved somewhat with Weber's return but we were still among the worst in the league.

No kidding.

Even last night...sure they only gave up 2 goals but Washington easily could have put that game away. It was like that on a lot of nights where Price would bail out his crappy defense.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Shots in close don’t bother me. We get a ton of shots in close and it means nothing. Goaltenders nowadays can cover the net with size. It’s the deflections, screens, missed coverages, etc that’s killing us. And it’s because we don’t have enough horses in the race when it comes to talent on defence, in regards to both forwards and defenseman.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK

OK, perhaps it's because the first half of the season was so diabolical making the second half team D performance look stellar ;-)

Reactions: Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OK, perhaps it's because the first half of the season was so diabolical making the second half team D performance look stellar ;-)
We were 3rd worst in letting in close shots as of around Jan and I think we improved to 5th worst by the end of the year.

I'd agree with you that the coaching staff probably got the most it could out of that group but ultimately it's still a weak group as a whole. The entire blueline needs a major upgrade.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Calling him winning the Vezina. Get your salt bags and shovels ready.

Luongo lost his Vezina because of his team in 2004. And he dominated that year. Carey stands no chance with us being where we are. Fair or not. He’ll lose votes for the simple reason we’re on the outside looking in. Atleast he showed he’s still capable of being the best.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It bothers the goalies....

I don’t think so. Carey would probably prefer it. Helps the save percentage. It’s the quality of chances he’s more then likely upset with. He can keep the shot clock down by himself just from his rebound control and ability to play the puck. Shots in close have never been a problem. It’s the defence leaving him out to dry with the things I mentioned that drive goalies nuts.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
66 games played this season. Heavy, heavy workload for #1, which can mean any and/or all of the following things:

1. Backup sucks
2. Defense sucks
3. Goal support sucks

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
66 games played this season. Heavy, heavy workload for #1, which can mean any and/or all of the following things:

1. Backup sucks
2. Defense sucks
3. Goal support sucks

Pretty much, and who would the voters vote for over Carey? Darcy Kuemper, lol? The finalists will be Kuemper/Vasilevsky/Price and i expect Price to take it. Mainly because of workload/weak team/stature.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t think so. Carey would probably prefer it. Helps the save percentage. It’s the quality of chances he’s more then likely upset with. He can keep the shot clock down by himself just from his rebound control and ability to play the puck. Shots in close have never been a problem. It’s the defence leaving him out to dry with the things I mentioned that drive goalies nuts.
It doesn't help the save percentage at all. Goalie save percentages drop dramatically when it's shots from in close. Remember a goalie can make the first save, the second save and then get scored on a rebound. In close shots are killer.

The Habs were actually above average in preventing permeter shots. But we were among the worst at allowing shots in close. It's the main reason why Price's save percentage was so low before Weber came back. With Weber it improved at least until he got hurt. We went from third worst in the league for in close shots to 5th by the end of the year. It makes a big difference.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pretty much, and who would the voters vote for over Carey? Darcy Kuemper, lol? The finalists will be Kuemper/Vasilevsky/Price and i expect Price to take it. Mainly because of workload/weak team/stature.
Kuemper has less than 30 wins but a great save percentage. He should get some votes. Andersen will get votes for sure. Price being out of the playoffs shouldn't factor into the Vezina but it will.

I think at best, Price finishes third. I'd have zero problem if he finished second though. He's had a pretty wicked year considering the team he was behind. But I don't think that the voters are going to dig that hard to figure out things like the D.

You can see it even on this board with people who think Price only started playing well in December... they haven't considered that Price's rise in numbers coincide exactly with Weber's return. That's why I thought it was good to post some of those pre-December games where Price has some rough numbers. Watch them and you see what he was dealing with. Anyways, top five in Vezina should happen for sure. Anything lower and something's wrong. He might get third. Where Ben Bishop lands will affect this greatly. Unfortunately for Bishop he can't seem to stay healthy. Great numbers and he's a really solid goalie but he also has less than 30 wins and only managed to get into 45 games. He'd have been the clear winner if he could've played more games and kept those numbers anywhere close to where they were. At 45 games though and less than 30 games, he's basically a platoon goalie.

What sucks is that I think Price probably would've been top ten in Hart voting if we'd made it. Too bad on that front.

Last edited:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Bought a Price ticket for Hart trophy at 45-1. If Habs made it, sure he had a shot at it. Last year Hall, wild card team.

Without Price playing lights out, team is bottom 5.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Also people need to realize that a quick close shot is faster than the time the brain can see it so goalie will play the odds with position. Now if you force the goalie to move side to side with lateral passes you take away the good positioning and make it very difficult to stop a shot.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Bought a Price ticket for Hart trophy at 45-1. If Habs made it, sure he had a shot at it. Last year Hall, wild card team.

Without Price playing lights out, team is bottom 5.
If Habs had made it, I'd say you might have had a better chance of him winning the Hart than Vezina.

To be clear, I don't think he would've won either. But you'd have gotten some people who'd have looked at it the way they looked at Hall last year. 'Where would they be without him.' I predicted he'd be somewhere in the top ten for Hart if we'd made it.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Carey Price has 84 millions reasons To chill out. Why should he care?
Winning worth all the money of the world. Been doing it since day 001. There's no better sensation than that. Be part of the history. Write a new page of his book records. He's more ambitious than just getting his paycheck. All alone he can't do it by himself. We're in our rights to obtain some Price'rs players on each others positions.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Had time to digest. It's a lot better but once the PO starts then it gonna hurt again... It's always hard to watch others people do what you want to be doing.”

“Just the way we respond this year, I thought we were responding in the right way. We came out with the right attitude right away from training camp. I don't see why not... The guys should've a lot of confidence after a great season. I think moving forward everybody needs to realize what we made us successful and continue that.”

“Last year was obviously very tough but this season is also though because we played so well and still come up short. Right from the gueko, we all had the attitude to prove everybody wrong. I think everybody was on board with that and even when things gets tough we've still stucked together and that's a good sign for our team. So at the end of the day it's not really that easier but we've more optimism this year.”

“I had a lot of milestones this season so it's kinda a really fun season in that sense. I enjoyed it. I thought we were managing my practices well. You know in that sense it's fatiguing sure but at the end of the day I had a lot fun during that stretch. But at the end of the day whit all that accomplishment all that success we had it's still come short the way we did. It's still disappointing...”

“We all expect to make the PO next season. That's should be everybody goals. With all the trainings and preparing. It's never a great thing to have a long summer like we do. But since we've we must well put it to a good use. Managing our time and our efforts well. Prepare the best we can for next season. You don't wanna a long summer but that can be a asset in the long term. We all need to improve. I don't feel like to put on one thing or one individual. As a group, we all need to be better.”

“All I can say it's a great place to play. Our team has a lot of potentials. You should definitely consider us. The window is growing smaller and I really want to win more than ever. I think that should be a pretty good indication of how badly we want to win here...”

“Overall, I don't really think it's a big surprise. It's just the way we responded in tough situations in the right way and the character that came to through this season. I like to say that I'm surprised but I'm really not. I feel we're starting to have that team identity.”

“I won't be going to World Championship. I feel like I played a lot of hockey over the last couple of months and I've a young family at home that I want to stay with them over the course of the next month.”

“Absolutely, I thought it was a great atmosphere. I think everybody is sharing that same enthusiasm that our team has toward next season. Yeah it seems to be the recipe for us. A lot of speeds on our team. Whenever we using that forechecks or even using it to taking time and space away from the others teams it's an asset for us.”

“I didn't really know Max much before the season obviously. But even when he wasn't putting pts on the board he brought a great attitude and a great work ethic. That's important for any player even when they're not feeling at nights. He didn't go through many of those stretches this season. He brought a consistency work ethic to us.”

“Antti is the partner I respect the most of all the partners that I've had. Just the way he carries himself this whole season, he's a guy that is a champion.”

“Drouin: Just keep believing in yourselves. Everybody get through tough stretches. He's still put a lot of great numbers for us but just tryna keep that consistency effort.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad