Player Discussion Carey Price - Who's Your Daddy? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
He generally has been playing very well... not getting alot of offense help lately :(

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I don't know if stopping breakaways is his forte. He's never been outstanding at shootouts. It's like he has too much time to think whereas other stuff is just reactionary.

Anyway congrats Daddy Price on your new family member.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
He generally has been playing very well... not getting alot of offense help lately :(

i dont understand comments like this,

even if you put his contract aside, and have it be a non factor,

he is 38th in SV% and 36th in GAA

how can that be playing very well?

there are only 31 teams FFS

even if Price was making 2 Mil a season, its still not "playing very well"

boston fans crap on rask, washington fans crap on holtby, dallas fans crap on bishop and they are all ranked ABOVE PRICE....yet price gets a free pass around here no matter how bad he plays

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Andhe's pretty much close to the top of the league since Weber is back (for a starter)
What are the use a defensive squad? Answer this and then tell yourself that we pretty much have the worst defensive squad in the league.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Andhe's pretty much close to the top of the league since Weber is back (for a starter)
What are the use a defensive squad? Answer this and then tell yourself that we pretty much have the worst defensive squad in the league.

i dont believe this defense nonsense excuse,

good goalies dont need a good defense to make them look good,

torontos defense sucks balls.....yet andersen puts up great numbers

excuses are for losers

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

excuses are for losers

I would take Toronto's defense ahead of Habs defense any day of the week
But hey, Tampa, Nashville, Calgary are all dumb to pay those great D then and made giant trade to get them.
Imagine those dumb teams drafting D in the first round.....they are all out to lunch, then?

Unless you'Re happy with Schlemko and Alzner.

The day you will be able to name me our top 3 and Price sucks, then you'll be right.
But you can't even tell me you is our top 3. And for the last year, you are not even able to name our top 2.

There's teams who have a better #6 D than our actually partner that is on the first pairing with Weber.....and that include Toronto with Hainsey.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

excuses are for losers

Yes, but Toronto has a steamroll offense that gives Andersen an added psychological advantage, whereas Price is in a position where he can't falter or the team does.

You're both right, but too extreme in your views.

Price should indeed do much better, but does so recently since the D got upgraded.

I expect more of Price, but I also understand the position he's in, which is probably one of the toughest in the league. Market with high expectations and media attention. A demolished D with limited puck possession/playmaking skills.

But in the end he agreed to that contract, so he's responsible for following through with it, but at the same time, what was he promised by Bergevin other than the terms? A good D?

Reactions: Drouin92 and BLONG7

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
But in the end he agreed to that contract, so he's responsible for following through with it, but at the same time, what was he promised by Bergevin other than the terms? A good D?

it doesn't matter what promises your made.....if your paid as a STAR PLAYER you need to PERFORM LIKE A STAR PLAYER regardless of your team,

do you think if matthews, mcdavid, crosby or ovi only got 60 points in a season they would blame it on their team mates?

would their fans say "well their line mates and team are to blame!!".....NO!!....Franchise players need to PRODUCE!! ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016

boston fans crap on rask, washington fans crap on holtby, dallas fans crap on bishop and they are all ranked ABOVE PRICE....yet price gets a free pass around here no matter how bad he plays

I suppose I am basing off the eye test since his return. Early in the year he was awful but the team was scoring.
He came back after a small amount of time off and seemed to be playing much better. Scoring dried up but we still were playing roughly 500 hockey.

Some of the goals were a bit soft last night against st louis, but to me and my eye test it comes down to the fact that our D core gives up so many god damn odd man rushes, break aways, prime scoring chances that it is very challenging for him.

Maybe I should have worded it differently and used "Improved " instead of " very good " because your are correct in that he isn't "Very good" . Good maybe but not Very Good. He wasn't worthy of the all star nod. He still f**ks up but this D core is so bad that ... I'm lost for words on how to describe other then something something F**king Barginbin.

Hes doing better but as you have stated his play isn't lights out but he isn't stinking either His play has improved while the rest of the team seems to be falling short.

Once you consider his contract , then yeah it hurts.... but then again I look to blame the architect of the team rather then the goalie on that one...

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
to me and my eye test it comes down to the fact that our D core gives up so many god damn odd man rushes, break aways, prime scoring chances that it is very challenging for him.

goaltending is very challenging everybody knows that,

but price is paid to be a star player, the franchise player, a difference maker.....and he isnt any of that

when you say price is playing "very well" with the numbers he has,

that would be like having Tavares (random example) with 20 points right now and toronto fans saying "he is playing very well"

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
goaltending is very challenging everybody knows that,

but price is paid to be a star player, the franchise player, a difference maker.....and he isnt any of that

when you say price is playing "very well" with the numbers he has,

that would be like having Tavares (random example) with 20 points right now and toronto fans saying "he is playing very well"

Here, I'll take this from my post again where I changed the wording because I was agreeing with you.

"Maybe I should have worded it differently and used "Improved " instead of " very good " because your are correct in that he isn't "Very good" . Good maybe but not Very Good."

As for his payment, Again I would go back to that its insane that Marc even considering paying price that but you seem to want to gloss right over that fact.
No one ever is going to say " NO GM ____ your paying me to much, I'm really only worth half of what your offering. " Prices Agent said 10.5 and Marc said where do I sign.

You want to blame carey for that, be my guest. I blame marc for that one.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You can't have the cake and eat it too! :(
giphy.gif

:laugh:

Reactions: Censored Toad

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, but Toronto has a steamroll offense that gives Andersen an added psychological advantage, whereas Price is in a position where he can't falter or the team does.

You're both right, but too extreme in your views.

Price should indeed do much better, but does so recently since the D got upgraded.

I expect more of Price, but I also understand the position he's in, which is probably one of the toughest in the league. Market with high expectations and media attention. A demolished D with limited puck possession/playmaking skills.

Let's look at the D he's been behind this season.

All these players were waived at one point or another:
Schlemko
Mete
Alzner
Juulsen
Oulette
Kulak

Those guys go along with
Benn, Petry and Reilly.

That's an absolutely horrible group. Even with Weber it's still very weak.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

excuses are for losers
So let's follow your logic here for a second...

According to you KK is a future 3rd line center and nothing more. You go on and on about how terrible this team is. And then when you talk about Price you say the team in front of him isn't an "excuse"...

If the team sucks then how the hell can any goalie bail them out? How is it that when Weber returns and we see less of Benn on the first line Price's numbers bounce back up to .920? This isn't coincidence... yet you talk about "free passes" after crapping all over the team that you now say shouldn't be a factor. Which is it?

And is there anything that you think is good about this team at all?

Last edited:
Reactions: Milhouse40

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Price has not gotten a free pass at all. That would include his own criticism of himself. He has played much better since Weber has returned and you know it...so does everyone else.

Reactions: Vachon23

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

excuses are for losers
Excuses are for losers...........you just describe Marc Bergevin and his old buddy, Michel Therrien...

The Leafs score goals in buckets, and are almost never behind in a game...big difference for a goalie and his confidence.

Really sorry about Price kicking your dog...you are pretty predictable...habs win you are nowhere, habs lose and you are back....

Good work,

Reactions: Tuggy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price has not gotten a free pass at all. That would include his own criticism of himself. He has played much better since Weber has returned and you know it...so does everyone else.
I don't think he's played better since Weber returned. His numbers have improved but his play has been pretty consistent. That's not to say he hasn't had some bad games (and he'll have more bad ones in the future) but overall he's played well.

Here's an interesting article looking at whether or not his save percentage can return to elite levels this season.
Analyzing Carey Price's save percentage: Can he become elite again? - Sportsnet.ca

Since Weber's come back Price is second in the league in this stat.

Given the scoring chances he's faced an average goalie would have a save percentage around .904. Price's numbers are significantly better than that. This season Montreal gives up the third-highest percentage of shots as scoring chances in the league. The only goalies who face tougher shots on average are Cam Ward and Carter Hutton. That makes sense considering the fact that shot numbers wise we're actually pretty good but we give away the puck in our own end a lot more than we should.

The one area he could improve is rebounds. It's gone up and he needs to fix that.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad