Player Discussion Carey Price - Who's Your Daddy? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
People don't want to believe that Price has significantly declined

Fact is, he will be an adequate goalie for the next while, with frequent subpar stretches.

He's being paid 11 million/year because he has the potential to sometimes have good stretches.

Do you actually believe this? If there was a best on best tourny starting tomorrow I’d bet everything I own that he would start for team Canada or any other team. He was incredible the last half of the season and goalies play well into their late 30s. Morr likely he wins another vezina then goes into a bad decline. If Weber start the season he probably is a vezina finalist last year.

You watched games last year and saw a decline?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Price peaked in the period 2014 through to 2016. He had a good three year peak. H

will never again experience such a peak.

Marty Brodeur won all of his hardware after the age of thirty. Same for Hasek. Same for Thomas. If you think a goalie peaks in his lat 20s you must be new to the game. Remember when Roy was washed up in the late 90s? He was top 5 in his mid 30s.

Price has his best hockey ahead of him imo

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Marty Brodeur won all of his hardware after the age of thirty. Same for Hasek. Same for Thomas. If you think a goalie peaks in his lat 20s you must be new to the game. Remember when Roy was washed up in the late 90s? He was top 5 in his mid 30s.

He's still well into his prime and has a lot of good years left. But they'll be wasted if we don't get him at least a decent D.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's still well into his prime and has a lot of good years left. But they'll be wasted if we don't get him at least a decent D.

There's no denying you can't ice Folin, Benn/Juulsen, Mete/Reilly and Kulak all at the same time. We need to find at least one real top 4 NHL LHD. Ideally even a top 2 cause we should expect Petry to revert back to his mean eventually.

Mete/Railly-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Folin-Benn/Juulsen

No goalie would do extremely well in front of that defense for 65-70 games unless Mete and Juulsen both make a huge stride this year. I believe in them but i also believe their progression wont be a logarith. If we can find a real top 4 LHD then price should be fine specially if Mete and Juulsen make some progression.

LHD-Weber
Mete-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen
Benn
Folin

This is potentially a good defense. Not great if the LHD is Edler but still more potent than the crap we had last year.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

100 percent, its criminal that we have the best goalie in world playing behind Benn, Kulak, Frolin. We have one legit NHL left d, and he, Mete, should be playing third pair. I’m not a MB hater but if he can’t wheel a top pair left d, he can screw off

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Then he must still have great value. Trade him to a team that needs top goaltending to become a legit Stanley cup threat. With the return we could we could luck out on a offensive top line player to compliment Kotkaniemi while we wait for Primeau to be our starter.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

If I am not mistaken, Brodeur had Stevens, Neidimyer, and f***ing Ken Denanko as teammates. Roy? Raymond f***ing Bourque and the crew looking to win a cup. It is not comparable IMO. Price? He’s on his f***ing own with us.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If I am not mistaken, Brodeur had Stevens, Neidimyer, and ****ing Ken Denanko as teammates. Roy? Raymond ****ing Bourque and the crew looking to win a cup. It is not comparable IMO. Price? He’s on his ****ing own with us.

Was Bourque really the guy you're going with there? He played basically one season for the avs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Doesn't that point to Roy still being a good goalie at an advanced age though?
No, it points to the fact that one of the all time greats was patrolling both blue lines... I’m not trying suggesting that Roy was not a “good” tender while older, but that he certainly did not win the cup on his own... this time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Then he must still have great value. Trade him to a team that needs top goaltending to become a legit Stanley cup threat. With the return we could we could luck out on a offensive top line player to compliment Kotkaniemi while we wait for Primeau to be our starter.
If we’re not going to go for it then this is what we should do. I’d hate to trade him but I’d rather do that than waste him.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I have full confidence that Price will remain at or near the top for a while, however it should be noted that goaltending was a slightly different animal even when Brodeur and Thomas were owning the old new NHL as senior citizens. Never mind when Roy was still at it.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If I am not mistaken, Brodeur had Stevens, Neidimyer, and ****ing Ken Denanko as teammates. Roy? Raymond ****ing Bourque and the crew looking to win a cup. It is not comparable IMO. Price? He’s on his ****ing own with us.
Jesus relax pal. Yes both guys had significantly better Dmen. Price would be racking hardware behind those guys. Cause he is a stud, which is my point. He’s good. Are we clear?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Of course he has good value.

Primeau as our starter? Lol. You want to trade the best goalie in the world hoping the #199 overall 2 years ago can replace him. Incredible, I mean come on you are joking right? Right?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
No, it points to the fact that one of the all time greats was patrolling both blue lines... I’m not trying suggesting that Roy was not a “good” tender while older, but that he certainly did not win the cup on his own... this time.

You clearly didn’t watch those playoffs. Bourque was a 40 yo dinosaur, basically a non factor and Roy was incredible. No one wins a cup on their own but the Avs don’t have that cup without Roy and Bourque did very little.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You clearly didn’t watch those playoffs. Bourque was a 40 yo dinosaur, basically a non factor and Roy was incredible. No one wins a cup on their own but the Avs don’t have that cup without Roy and Bourque did very little.

Detroit/Colorado/New Jersey were ripping apart the league during that time. And it wasn’t because of Roy that Colorado was as strong as they were, he simply helped. Their franchise was surrounded by HOF players. Name one hall of fame player on the Habs since Price entered the league. A end of his prime Kovalev when they played together while he was kid and growing? Please. No comparison. We’ve sucked.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Detroit/Colorado/New Jersey were ripping apart the league during that time. And it wasn’t because of Roy that Colorado was as strong as they were, he simply helped. Their franchise was surrounded by HOF players. Name one hall of fame player on the Habs since Price entered the league. A end of his prime Kovalev when they played together while he was kid and growing? Please. No comparison. We’ve sucked.

This....

In year one of his 10.5M contract, his opening day D was:

Karl Alzner
Jordie Benn
Noah Juulsen
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

Oh, and cap space lol

Organizational incompetence on full display. Credit to Price that he went out and re-asserted himself as one of the league best.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This....

In year one of his 10.5M contract, his opening day D was:

Karl Alzner
Jordie Benn
Noah Juulsen
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

Oh, and cap space lol

Organizational incompetence on full display. Credit to Price that he went out and re-asserted himself as one of the league best.
That is just an absolutely brutal group. And it’s pretty similar to the one we had the year before.

Honestly if improvements aren’t made then we should just deal him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad