Player Discussion Carey Price - Who's Your Daddy? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Price allbyhimselftypicalMTL cup run was cut short by injuries in 2014. He was great that year and had all fans believing.

I still believe in him and he gives us a chance to win every night but at some point some fans need to understand the difference between goalies is razor thin and its only over a long sample that it shows. Our team is average and its a 31 teams league its stupid that he should be judged only on stanley cups.

A lot of hate he receives is undeserved and should be directed towards our GM.

Read alot of the post and i saw only 1 poster who made comments that could be seen as hatred, as for our GM well i think that there is no shortage in the hatred comments department :laugh::laugh:

It seems that as soon as someone dare to make a comment that is anything less than saying that CP is a god.....he is seen as a hater

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
LOL.. Okay he was shaky but had a .947 save percentage.
Got it!!
Obviously not since you are still quoting numbers against it. A goalie can get a shutout and look shaky. The poster even said he looked shaky first few games and was great in the last 2 games.

Edit : I am not even commenting on Lundqvist but more your lack of understanding of how a goalie can look shaky and post a good sv pct.

Reactions: ArtPeur

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Obviously not since you are still quoting numbers against it. A goalie can get a shutout and look shaky. The poster even said he looked shaky first few games and was great in the last 2 games.

Edit : I am not even commenting on Lundqvist but more your lack of understanding of how a goalie can look shaky and post a good sv pct.
A goalie can look shaky on a few saves.
A goalie with a save percentage of .947 would never be described as shaky in the series (which is what he said )
He later clarified it was the beginning of the series (after some more excuses).
You're welcome.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A goalie with a save percentage of .947 would never be described as shaky in the series (which is what he said )
He later clarified it was the beginning of the series (after some more excuses).
You're welcome.
I don't think he was wrong.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
You're welcome.

Habs routinely make shaky goalies look great.

With regards to the bolded did you read the second sentence I wrote because I said the same thing. You're welcome.

Reactions: ArtPeur

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
The Price discussions can get nauseating. I don’t know who is worse, those that can’t bring themselves to critique him on anything or those that blame him for everything.

Keep hearing lunqvist was lucky in that series, that’s part sour grapes and part delusional. If there is a goalie who has worked his ass off without much help it is him. He is a superior money goalie than price is at the moment. Price has improved though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You're welcome.

Do you know who look shaky?

Brobovsky last night. Despite the win, despite beating the Habs and "winning the big game".
Let in 2 horrible goals (Both worst than any of the 6 allowed by Price) and still won the game.
Price also made better saves than Brobovsky last night on top of that.

Here's a brutal fact: Price is the best we have at any position no matter how you hate him.

Oh yeah, he didn't won the Cup.....of course let's not talk about the fact that Habs center lines in front of him wasn't good enough to even make the PO to begin with but we made the PO because of Price. Weither it was Gomez, Plekanec, Desharnais, Danault......that's not good enough to be a PO team without Price.

Size problems, center problems, left hand D-side problems, Scoring problems.....Habs never put a freaking team in front of him to even make the PO and you are ripping the one guy that brought those crappy teams in the PO.

This is why we can't have nice things.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
In last night's game against the Blue Jackets, I was astounded that Carey Price didn't go bonkers when his forwards and defensemen left him high and dry to the tune of five goals allowed. We hope that for the next seven seasons, Price just won't be content to cash his monthly paycheques.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Price discussions can get nauseating. I don’t know who is worse, those that can’t bring themselves to critique him on anything or those that blame him for everything.

Keep hearing lunqvist was lucky in that series, that’s part sour grapes and part delusional. If there is a goalie who has worked his ass off without much help it is him. He is a superior money goalie than price is at the moment. Price has improved though.
Problem is that any critique of Lundqvist is viewed as a staunch defense of Price.

Separate the two. Lundqvist's performance has nothing to do with how Price played. And in my opinion he did not play well for most of that series. Our scorers simply didn't show up. Lundqvist was great in the last two games.

It's not "sour grapes" or "delusional." I think Lundqvist is an awesome goalie and a sure 1st ballot HOFer. If I thought he'd played well the whole way I'd say it. I think he was mostly helped by our incompetent players who couldn't shoot their way out of a paper bag. If that comes across as a Price defense so be it. Anyways this has gone off the rails...

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
another "day at the office" for "the great carey price". that flubbed glove save was really something. way to lay an egg in the most important game of the season carey.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is the kind of crap I was talking about earlier. Brutal how people so easily flip on the guy. We finally land HOF talent and we chase one guy out of town while bashing the other when we lose. And folks wonder why players shy away from Montreal when it's free agency time. It's because of crap like this.
Not flipping on Price at all! Just stating facts. The Colombus game was absolute 100% must win. Team came out strong in first period. Dominated the play, Habs appeared well prepared to play such a crucial game. But Jackets score a couple, get back in the game. You could see the wind come out of the Canadiens sail. It was over after that.

I stop watching after this game, looking at the draft and free agency now. For we have Tampa, Toronto left, and another tough team forget who right now. While Colombus has Rangers, Ottawa and Detriot I believe. A much easier path to playoffs. I think the only way we make the playoffs is if Carolina collapses. But see slim to none chance that happens. Their storm surge act seems to be a pressure relief for them. Whatever their reasons it seems to be working.
Price never could win the big game. Even back to '08 playoffs against the Flyers. Canadiens out played Philly but Denis took him to school.

Price is a good goalie but doesn't have the right personality to play under pressure. He tries to do too much, starts over sliding, opening himself up more. Which generally spells the end for the Canadiens. Price has a different mentality than a Roy, Dryden or Sawchuk. They were masters at clutch. Andy Moog and Rogie Vachon were decent money goalies also, to a lesser degree. Vachon in '60s he was outstanding in playoffs, '76 Canada Cup he stood on his head also. But neither had Price's skill.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So who thinks Price will get a nomination for the Vezina this year? It might still depend on what happens the last two games of this year. It's really a weird year for the Vezina. Lots of goalies have played under 50 games or just a little over 50 games this year.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
We are stuck with that idiotic contract for the next 8 years. If for which ever reason, Bergevin decides to trade him, he would have to retain, cause no GM would want that contract without retaining

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So who thinks Price will get a nomination for the Vezina this year? It might still depend on what happens the last two games of this year. It's really a weird year for the Vezina. Lots of goalies have played under 50 games or just a little over 50 games this year.
I don't think so. And he's still got two really tough games that will likely drive down his numbers. But he's had a great year.

Bishop's an interesting case. His numbers are fantastic but he's only played in 45 games and he's got 26 wins. That's basically a platoon goalie and his counterpart has similar numbers. He'll get votes but he's had too many injuries to win the award. I think Vas wins it and he deserves to.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We are stuck with that idiotic contract for the next 8 years. If for which ever reason, Bergevin decides to trade him, he would have to retain, cause no GM would want that contract without retaining

Then it's a good thing that 98% of the fans don't even want to trade him at all.
That 2% can still come here and write idiotic post about it for the next 7 years.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Then it's a good thing that 98% of the fans don't even want to trade him at all.
That 2% can still come here and write idiotic post about it for the next 7 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Carey Price and I want to see him succeed and hopefully win the Cup in Montreal, but it’s the contract I hate not Carey

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don’t get me wrong, I like Carey Price and I want to see him succeed and hopefully win the Cup in Montreal, but it’s the contract I hate not Carey
The contract hate is overblown. For the past two seasons we've had a guy named 'open capspace' that has been close to our highest paid player.

10 mil isn't huge in the grand scheme of things and it will only get better as the cap rises. You could argue that Price won't be as good in the future as in the past (and you might be right) but Price has been one of the most impactful players in the NHL for a while now. I have no problem paying superstars 10 mil.

The contracts that kill you are the Lucics who take up 6 mil have NMCs and don't produce. THAT is a horrible contract. You're getting absolutely nothing for your money and you're stuck with the guy. At least with Price you're getting great goaltending on a regular basis. He's a horse who's going to log 65+ games for us this year and (I would argue) he's been much better than his .917 number this year. It's just a shame we haven't surrounded him with very good teams otherwise we'd have some cups here.

As for teams not wanting him... I'm pretty sure Winnipeg would love to have him. Ditto with St Louis or Edmonton... You think Buffalo wouldn't want him? Tons of teams would love to have this guy. He'd be a huge difference maker and could probably win a cup with the Jets.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

The contract might be 2 millions too much but that is it and even then.
I look at Drouin and Petry at 5.5M, Weber at 7.8M.......Price is worth a lot more than them.

The contract is only burden if we would desperately need Cap Space to sign or get top players, but it's really not the case. If you hate only the contract so much that should be in the Bergevin's thread.....but all that hate for 2M$ ?

Alzner's contract should drive you insane, not Price's contract.

Reactions: FrankMTL

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Let’s leave the contract situation on the side for a moment, and let’s be honest, the year that we could have won the Cup was in 2014, Carey was basically unbeatable, and that injury in the ECF, was intentional, Kreider could have easily stopped, but he had to crash into Price. If he never gotten injured, we would have went to the Finals....and who knows what could happen, but nonetheless, it would have been a great series vs LA

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Let’s leave the contract situation on the side for a moment, and let’s be honest, the year that we could have won the Cup was in 2014, Carey was basically unbeatable, and that injury in the ECF, was intentional, Kreider could have easily stopped, but he had to crash into Price. If he never gotten injured, we would have went to the Finals....and who knows what could happen, but nonetheless, it would have been a great series vs LA
That's one way of looking at it.

But how about since then? What if we'd had decent teams in front of him? I mean seriously he's played in front of mediocre to bad teams his whole career. It's a f***ing shame. Even now he's .925 since Weber's return and that's with a very mediocre D. What if we'd actually had good teams without huge holes? We've squandered this guy and it's such a huge waste of talent.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Do you know who look shaky?

Brobovsky last night. Despite the win, despite beating the Habs and "winning the big game".
Let in 2 horrible goals (Both worst than any of the 6 allowed by Price) and still won the game.
Price also made better saves than Brobovsky last night on top of that.

Here's a brutal fact: Price is the best we have at any position no matter how you hate him.

Oh yeah, he didn't won the Cup.....of course let's not talk about the fact that Habs center lines in front of him wasn't good enough to even make the PO to begin with but we made the PO because of Price. Weither it was Gomez, Plekanec, Desharnais, Danault......that's not good enough to be a PO team without Price.

Size problems, center problems, left hand D-side problems, Scoring problems.....Habs never put a freaking team in front of him to even make the PO and you are ripping the one guy that brought those crappy teams in the PO.

This is why we can't have nice things.
I love Carey Price as our goalie and it's a privilege to watch him play as a sports fan.

I'm just pointing out he's won nothing in the playoffs no matter who's fault that is. Most great goalies prove it in the post season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I love Carey Price as our goalie and it's a privilege to watch him play as a sports fan.

I'm just pointing out he's won nothing in the playoffs no matter who's fault that is. Most great goalies prove it in the post season.
And Connor McDavid is the best player in the league. Most of the time the best player in the league makes the playoffs...

You can't win without a decent team behind you.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
And Connor McDavid is the best player in the league. Most of the time the best player in the league makes the playoffs...

You can't win without a decent team behind you.
I'm merely looking at the great goalie's I knew and made a statement that most of them made their mark in great playoff runs.

What does Connor McDavid have to do with that argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad