Proposal: Carey Price to the Avalanche

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Ok since it's the start of the season lets go over a Moneyball lesson for everyone. When you determine a player's value think to yourself "would I sign that player to his contract today?" If the answer is no (within 10% or so of their money) then unless we're talking trade deadline pending UFA's then that player isn't getting your team back anything of value

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
just compliance buyout carey when the new cba rolls in a couple years. price >>>>varly+grubs.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Price is not arguably the best goalie in the world anymore. He was. But not anymore. Habs can keep him we are fine in net. Don't want that contract, not even a little bit. If you wanted to shell out that much money for a goalie you could get Bobrovsky for free in the summer and he is still on top of his game and not injury prone.

I have to agree with this.
I think Price is over rated at this point.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Habs are not going to get back what they think price is worth because of that **** contract and him have back to back down years. They will get a deal around what EK got for the sens and they will be pissed. Never going to happen.
120225office-rainn-wilson1.jpg

Correction

One down year, he was third in Vezina voting in 2017

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I can't see any team wanting to pay for Price unless he's in Vezina contention. He's got to justify that contract, being good isn't enough...he has to be great.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... the simple fact of the matter is that any Price trade proposal in the near immediate future has to be done with the knowledge that a big return for the Habs would include the longterm cap relief. Habs would probably have to eat 25-50% of the contract and give up a prospect or two for the deal to even be remotely palatable for the term alone. So, it'd be something like....

To [insert team here]
Price (Habs 1/3 retained)
Really good prospect
Other good prospect
Middle/late round pick

To Montreal
Early/middle round pick
Decent prospect
2nd decent prospect
Random dude with a cap hit that's a tad too high but with a shorter term, probably a grinder with a French name

And even from that, I'm not sure either team would pull the trigger, and even if it was Habs fans would be mad about not getting much and fans of the team that got Price would be terrified of the term.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... the simple fact of the matter is that any Price trade proposal in the near immediate future has to be done with the knowledge that a big return for the Habs would include the longterm cap relief. Habs would probably have to eat 25-50% of the contract and give up a prospect or two for the deal to even be remotely palatable for the term alone. So, it'd be something like....

To [insert team here]
Price (Habs 1/3 retained)
Really good prospect
Other good prospect
Middle/late round pick

To Montreal
Early/middle round pick
Decent prospect
2nd decent prospect
Random dude with a cap hit that's a tad too high but with a shorter term, probably a grinder with a French name

And even from that, I'm not sure either team would pull the trigger, and even if it was Habs fans would be mad about not getting much and fans of the team that got Price would be terrified of the term.

This is horrible for the habs honestly. It makes little sense.

The whole idea of retaining money is to up the value. So habs have to retain 3.5 mil, add 2 good prospects and get 2 decent prospects in return...with an overpaid player.

So again...Habs trade Price, retain 3.5 mil, get a cap dump in addition and give the better prospects.

The best part is after basically after letting a team have Price for 7 mil and giving them better prospects and taking their cap dump they need to find a G as good as price...which will cost anywhere from 5-7 mil and they'll end up spending the same amount of money on a worse goalie whilst giving up assets to do it.

Genius. I'd keep price in a heartbeat if this was the offer....and don't assume I'm one pushing him out the door and being hypocritical. There's just no incentive to retain, take a cap dump, give better assets AND lose the best player in the deal. If a team isn't interested...so be it but this wouldn't get it done.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, that's the point I'm making. The only way that Price is traded with that much term is if the return for Montreal is awful.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I just don't see the point for the Avs. We won't need "best in the world" goaltending to be successful if the youngsters perform up to their potential, and we'll need the cap space to keep the good youngsters. We have 4 good players who will be RFAs after this season (Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Kerfoot) and Jost and Girard come off their ELCs the following year. We need them, long term, more than we need Price.

Varly/Grubauer should be good enough, and count $1.3m less against the cap hit than just Price (without retention).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, that's the point I'm making. The only way that Price is traded with that much term is if the return for Montreal is awful.

I get it...but it's extremely over the top is the point I'm making.

The only way you can trade Toews is if you retain 1/3 and offer your top prospects then take back a cap dump and marginal prospects.

Your response would be "But Toews at 7 mil shouldn't require us losing on the deal over and over" right?

Same concept. If Toews was at 7 mil(1/3 retained) he'd fetch a great return and Chicago wouldn't need to sweeten it any more.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Maybe, but you're comparing a player with five years left on his mega contract compared to a player with eight years left on his deal. Those extra three years are a world of difference even if you have a comparable point about their respective medical histories, especially as a forward is much more replaceable if they go down longterm versus a goalie.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Maybe, but you're comparing a player with five years left on his mega contract compared to a player with eight years left on his deal. Those extra three years are a world of difference even if you have a comparable point about their respective medical histories, especially as a forward is much more replaceable if they go down longterm versus a goalie.

Maybe so but I'm saying Toews would get a great return. I'm not saying Chicago would muster out a little asset. So even if Price's additional years are a negative(which is fair) I don't think it goes from great return to f***ing awful. Price wasn't great last year(neither were habs) but the year before he was still 3rd on Vezina voting.

It depends a lot on what he does THIS year because if he's vezina level this year(which is no easy feat) then it's hard to dispute he has some value...especially if you're retaining 1/3 of the contract.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Ottawa 1st ?
Jack Hughes for Jonathan Drouin? are you nuts? I'm kidding though I have high hope on that 1st even if it may end up a top 15-10 pick. Anyway if we had Drouin he would probably play in the second line same thing with Montreal playing with bunch of youngsters.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Price is not arguably the best goalie in the world anymore. He was. But not anymore. Habs can keep him we are fine in net. Don't want that contract, not even a little bit. If you wanted to shell out that much money for a goalie you could get Bobrovsky for free in the summer and he is still on top of his game and not injury prone.

You could offer up that money for Bob, but only one team will get him. Price might be overpaid by 1-2M, but he remains and impact player. Elite goalies tend to perform well until their late 30s, so I don't think the lenght is a real concern. He wasn't good last year in Montreal, but nobody was. I think he has shown enough in his career for last year to be considered an exception. I don't want Price traded away from us. People saying he's a cap dump are out for lunch. There are at least 5 teams that would love to have Price on their roster even if he's overpaid by a million or 2 (UFA price basically).

I don't agree he's worth one young good player + 1st + best prospect +++ , but he would still have significant value. Think at what Pacioretty, Nash, Schenn, Schneider got.... Anyway he isn't getting traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad