Proposal: Carey Price to the Avalanche

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
The difference is if, god forbid, Montreal trips over themselves and Kotkaniemi is a #1C and they get say Jack Hughes and another bad ass top 3 pick the next year.... All of a sudden that 5.25M that doesn't matter becomes a HUGE deal. Nevermind that you're asking ownership to pay 40M to a player to NOT play for them.

There is no way in ****ing hell that ANY team would retain 5M on a guy for 7-8 years. None. Even if they print money like NYR or Toronto. Nobody is paying a dude 40M over 8 years to have them gone and only getting one first es round pick for that trouble.

And Carey Price at 5.25M for 7 years? He gets you a HELL of a lot more than one first round pick, unprotected or not.
Vs the savings on that prospect's ELC, add a bridge, thats 5-6 years.

Getting a franchise cornerstone not to mention put your own team in tank mode by getting rid of Price, look at the big picture because today sucks or stay the course and have Price play you out of top ten picks?

Half measures = bad team that doesn't improve

Choice is obvious, Avs are the ones that should be hesitant.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Youre not.
Price is a great goalie on a lengthy contract nobody is giving 2 1's, Makar or equivalent plus a prospect. Think back to Roy who was better he never returned nearly that from the Avalanche. Goalies just don't ever return as much as positional players it just is like that. Price is 31 already and has 8 years remaining on deal would you trade that much for him??

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Habs heading into a rebuild with arguably the best goalie in the world under contract during his prime years. Probably in both the Habs and Price's best interests to get him out of there.

I think the Avalanche are a fit because they could afford him now and post raises coming up, as well as being a team very much on the rise.

Assuming Varly is let go and assuming Grubauer doesnt step up and take the #1 spot, Price would be a dream option.

Now what would Habs fans want and what are Avs fans willing to give?

Price has a 10.5 AAV for 7 more years.

Actually, he has 10.5 for 8 more years. The season hasn't started yet.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Price is a great goalie on a lengthy contract nobody is giving 2 1's, Makar or equivalent plus a prospect. Think back to Roy who was better he never returned nearly that from the Avalanche. Goalies just don't ever return as much as positional players it just is like that. Price is 31 already and has 8 years remaining on deal would you trade that much for him??

Youre still not doing it right.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I was thinking about this myself the other day and I see a few problems:
- Prices cap hit, it’s not something any team will easily wanting to take on or give Montreal a good return.
- Montreal would likely have to retain serious cap (2-3mil/year) in order for them to maximize the return and with 7 years left I don’t think that would be overly appeasing to Montreal.
- If retaining that much, would Colorado be filling to work up what Montreal would want in order to makeup for the cap hit.
- Finally Price has a NMC which could make everything void.

My proposal is the following:

To Colorado:
Price at 7.5mil (3mil retained)

To Montreal:
Varlamov
Timmins
Kamenev
Colorado 2020 first
Colorado 2019 second

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I hope the Habs never trade him. This way for 8 years they will draft between 10-14 and never have a true rebuild.

A decade of purgatory for the habs would be amazing lol

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
MB isn't quite Dorion/Melnyk level, They would probably get good value.

That said, I wouldn't be interested in that contract or the cost to obtain Price. We have Varly for a year along with Grubauer and Francouz, we should hopefully be alright in goal for awhile.

Did you see the Weber / Subban trade ?

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I was thinking about this myself the other day and I see a few problems:
- Prices cap hit, it’s not something any team will easily wanting to take on or give Montreal a good return.
- Montreal would likely have to retain serious cap (2-3mil/year) in order for them to maximize the return and with 7 years left I don’t think that would be overly appeasing to Montreal.
- If retaining that much, would Colorado be filling to work up what Montreal would want in order to makeup for the cap hit.
- Finally Price has a NMC which could make everything void.

My proposal is the following:

To Colorado:
Price at 7.5mil (3mil retained)

To Montreal:
Varlamov
Timmins
Kamenev
Colorado 2020 first
Colorado 2019 second
I wouldn't even give you Ottawa's 2019 3rd for Price.

Reactions: milehigh11

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I hope the Habs never trade him. This way for 8 years they will draft between 10-14 and never have a true rebuild.

A decade of purgatory for the habs would be amazing lol
But but but the Habs arent rebuilding. They have a really really good NHL caliber roster...

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I mean.
..last time Colorado acquired a high end Goalie from Montreal it worked out well for them...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Habs heading into a rebuild with arguably the best goalie in the world under contract during his prime years. Probably in both the Habs and Price's best interests to get him out of there.

I think the Avalanche are a fit because they could afford him now and post raises coming up, as well as being a team very much on the rise.

Assuming Varly is let go and assuming Grubauer doesnt step up and take the #1 spot, Price would be a dream option.

Now what would Habs fans want and what are Avs fans willing to give?

Price has a 10.5 AAV for 7 more years.

Doesn't make sense for the Avs at all. Why would they go out of their way of paying for Grubauer and then get Price?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Same thing was said about EK65.
We know how that worked out.

Dorion is an idiot

Bergevin may not be the best gm around but he doesnt sell assets low and never has. And he also values Price VERY high.

I don't think a trade gets done or even discussed regarding Price anytime soon - but if it did the price would definitely be high. EK trade is not the proper comparison

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Dorion is an idiot

Bergevin may not be the best gm around but he doesnt sell assets low and never has. And he also values Price VERY high.

I don't think a trade gets done or even discussed regarding Price anytime soon - but if it did the price would definitely be high. EK trade is not the proper comparison

Hes done it multiple times. In fact, he gets owned in most major deals he makes (Subban, Drouin, Galchenyuk trades, Subban/Price contracts).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hes done it multiple times. In fact, he gets owned in most major deals he makes (Subban, Drouin, Galchenyuk trades, Subban/Price contracts).

Im not saying he has a great track record of big trades but the returns in most of those trades are decent.

Weber is a fantastic defender with a lot of value. Subban never should have been traded but its not like he was traded for a Larsson or some random prospect and 2nd round pick.

People around the hockey world were very very high on Drouin. He stumbled a bit last year but i dont think thats a bad trade still today.

Galch - sure maybe. I think hes better than Domi - but again Domi is a decent enough player and they had all but given up on Galch in montreal.

Bergevin values Price higher than any of those assets. My argument has less to do about discussing Bergevins trade record than to say theres no way he trades Price for a low return.

If Bergevin were to trade Price in the short term (barring some unexpected drastic change in circumstances) - expect a VERY high return.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I don’t think Price’s contract gets picked up on waivers, let alone paid for in actual NHL-quality assets. I’d offer Allen, Steen & a depth defender...but even then $2.5M would need to be retained, and I’m still scared shitless of that contract if I’m STL. Bergevin got backed into a corner and would’ve been better off trading Price as a pending-UFA than hand him what will very likely be the worst contract given since the league put a time-limit on contract lengths.

Hope it’s warm, because MTL is going to be laying in the bed they’ve made themselves for quite a while.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
...what?

He sold Subban for cheap and got punked in the Sergachev deal. What do you mean he never “sells low”?

I literally explained myself like 5 posts up lol.

Weber is a great return. Yes Subban is better and worth more and he NEVER should have been traded - but it's not like the return itself was horrible. And I still think Drouin's potential is immense, so disagree on that one

Neither are anywhere near comparable to Karlsson. In fact i'd argue sens got less for Karlsson than Montreal got for either Subban or Sergachev - and Karlsson's value should have been much higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad