Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
People saying we are better off without him have really short memories. This game was less than 10 months ago. Look starting at the 4 minutes mark, big saves he made. They kept off the save he made on a penalty shot at the end of the 3rd period to save the game as well for some reason.

He had a save percentage up of 93,5% in 6 of the 10 playoff game. In only two games he was under 90,9%

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
People saying we are better off without him have really short memories. This game was less than 10 months ago. Look starting at the 4 minutes mark, big saves he made. They kept off the save he made on a penalty shot at the end of the 3rd period to save the game as well for some reason.

He had a save percentage up of 93,5% in 6 of the 10 playoff game. In only two games he was under 90,9%

Sad, when people come on here, when their narrative suits them, and forget how this guy has covered over so many terrible issues with the organization, suck coaches and a clown GM....the organization has failed Price 10 times over compared to the reverse.
We need this guy to bring his game to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sad, when people come on here, when their narrative suits them, and forget how this guy has covered over so many terrible issues with the organization, suck coaches and a clown GM....the organization has failed Price 10 times over compared to the reverse.

My issue is Price went for the max deal and therefore, he deserves to be held to a high standard. $10.5M is insane for a goalie cap hit. I'm a huge fan of Price but I have no issues with being hard on him cause he could have left some money on the table for the team and still be set for life.

And you are right, we need both Price and Weber to perform better if we are going to be a tough beat in the playoffs. Rest of the teams is actually playing very solid. It's our leaders that have let us down

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
So let's say hypothetically they want to trade him and/or he wants out. How do you guys think this can happen? Certainly the no trade clause plus the fact he'd want to go to a team with a shot at the cup makes this situation very difficult if not impossible.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Price is a bottom tier goalie now, it’s about time to accept that his best days are long behind him. If we could get rid of this contract we would. It’s the worst contract in the league. 10.5 million for replacement level and below goaltending. You can argue all you want, for the last 3-4 years this is what we’ve got. If you prefer to be stuck in 2014-2016, by all means, go ahead.

Reactions: WinterLion

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So let's say hypothetically they want to trade him and/or he wants out. How do you guys think this can happen? Certainly the no trade clause plus the fact he'd want to go to a team with a shot at the cup makes this situation very difficult if not impossible.
It can’t happen. There isn’t a team in the league trading for this anchor of a contract.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price is a bottom tier goalie now, it’s about time to accept that his best days are long behind him. If we could get rid of this contract we would. It’s the worst contract in the league. 10.5 million for replacement level and below goaltending. You can argue all you want, for the last 3-4 years this is what we’ve got. If you prefer to be stuck in 2014-2016, by all means, go ahead.
He dominated just last year, in the play-ins and the playoffs............We couldn't score goals...and lost to Philly
Let's hope he can do this again this year, only we don't get shut out half the time....here's hoping we can score a few goals this time...

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
My issue is Price went for the max deal and therefore, he deserves to be held to a high standard. $10.5M is insane for a goalie cap hit.

Not sure where you work but if they offered you the $ would you take it?
Yes occasionally someone restructures a deal to help but there is often something in it for them also ;) A quid pro quo you dont always hear about.
No one made Habs give him the $. Not his fault at all.
Is it a tough contract to work with for the Habs. Sure is but in no way do I blame Price. He has earned the $ over his career.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My issue is Price went for the max deal and therefore, he deserves to be held to a high standard. $10.5M is insane for a goalie cap hit. I'm a huge fan of Price but I have no issues with being hard on him cause he could have left some money on the table for the team and still be set for life.

And you are right, we need both Price and Weber to perform better if we are going to be a tough beat in the playoffs. Rest of the teams is actually playing very solid. It's our leaders that have let us down
His cap hit was right in line with Lundqvist's. At the time of his signing he was top ten in Vezina 6 out 7 years or something like that. He'd won everything in 2015. In 2016 it was looking even better when he got hurt. 2017 he comes in 3rd... He earned the dough and would've gotten it anywhere.

Then we decided that he was so good, he didn't need a blueline anymore. :laugh: But think of all that open cap space that went into Molson's pockets. Definitely worth it.

Apr 28, 2010

This team still needs Price SO BAD. It's his overall presence that makes a difference. I think he's only really struggled against Tampa and Philly and that's about it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He isn’t bottom tier at all. He’s also far away from his prime. This team has sucked the life away from him four years straight. He sold out so I get why no human should feel sorry from that aspect. He’s essentially paid to be this teams scapegoat whenever the team results predictably suck.

Reactions: BLONG7

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
His cap hit was right in line with Lundqvist's. At the time of his signing he was top ten in Vezina 6 out 7 years or something like that. He'd won everything in 2015. In 2016 it was looking even better when he got hurt. 2017 he comes in 3rd... He earned the dough and would've gotten it anywhere.

Then we decided that he was so good, he didn't need a blueline anymore. :laugh: But think of all that open cap space that went into Molson's pockets. Definitely worth it.

Excuses.. He's been a mediocre #1 goalie in the past 3-4 years and we don't have the 30th worst defense in the league. So what do you want, giving a 30M defense squad in front of a 10.5M goalie? Anyways, I should have stop debating with you the moment you said that he was good in 2017-2018 and no other goalie in the league would have done better. That was not objective at all...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Excuses.. He's been a mediocre #1 goalie in the past 3-4 years and we don't have the 30th worst defense in the league. So what do you want, giving a 30M defense squad in front of a 10.5M goalie? Anyways, I should have stop debating with you the moment you said that he was good in 2017-2018 and no other goalie in the league would have done better. That was not objective at all...
I've already posted this. Our D has been terrible for years. That's just a fact.

The past couple of years we've given up high danger shots at a rate that's worst in the league. This year it's been better but it's still a horrible group back there.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He isn’t bottom tier at all. He’s also far away from his prime. This team has sucked the life away from him four years straight. He sold out so I get why no human should feel sorry from that aspect. He’s essentially paid to be this teams scapegoat whenever the team results predictably suck.
.918 and .909 behind those clubs is nowhere near bottom tier. Especially when you factor in the crazy workload.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
.918 and .909 behind those clubs is nowhere near bottom tier. Especially when you factor in the crazy workload.

You spent the whole thread debating with me that save % doesn't mean anything and your bringing up theses stats?
Ok, so how about 2017-2018 and 2020-2021? And btw, Price's numbers have been very mediocre in the past few seasons in all advanced stats as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You spent the whole thread debating with me that save % doesn't mean anything
No.

I said that save percentage has limitations and you should put it in context. When you have one guy who plays behind the best defense in the league and another who plays behind the worst, you should take it into consideration when comparing save percentages between the two netminders.

I posted an article for you to look at. Waited for a reply and you came back with "Lolol he suckz" type replies. So I stopped replying to your posts...

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
I've already posted this. Our D has been terrible for years. That's just a fact.

The past couple of years we've given up high danger shots at a rate that's worst in the league. This year it's been better but it's still a horrible group back there.

Goalie 1: Stops 8 out of 10 high danger shots in a game
Goalie 2: Stops 7 out of 11 high danger shots in a game

Which goalie is better? It's not that because you have 1-2 more danger shots each game that you have to give up more goals. There are advanced stats for that, and Price's numbers (Goal saved above expected) and he's not even in a top 20 once over the last 4 seasons (#24, #37, #22, #63)

How come a goalie which you still consider "elite" posted stats that bad in the category you consider the most important? Our D have been mediocre in the past few years, bad not as bad as you would think (not 30th in the league, that's for sure)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Goalie 1: Stops 8 out of 10 high danger shots in a game
Goalie 2: Stops 7 out of 11 high danger shots in a game

Which goalie is better? It's not that because you have 1-2 more danger shots each game that you have to give up more goals. There are advanced stats for that, and Price's numbers (Goal saved above expected) and he's not even in a top 20 once over the last 4 seasons (#24, #37, #22, #63)
We've already been through this. You can't compare a guy who plays 60 games to a guy who plays 10.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
No.

Waited for a reply and you came back with "Lolol he suckz" type replies. So I stopped replying to your posts...

When did I he suckz??? Where???
You keep bringing that Price is still among the best goalie in the league, but his numbers say otherwise because of this, because of that....
If he's still among the best in the league, his numbers wouldn't be among the bottom tier of the league.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When did I he suckz??? Where???
You keep bringing that Price is still among the best goalie in the league, but his numbers say otherwise because of this, because of that....
If he's still among the best in the league, his numbers wouldn't be among the bottom tier of the league.
Okay man. Great talking to you. Let's not do this again. Have a great night.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
We've already been through this. You can't compare a guy who plays 60 games to a guy who plays 10.

None of the goalies played less than 10 games in a season.
Those are the rankings for Price in the past 4 years for Goals Saved Above Expected in the last 4 seasons (minimum 10 games played)

2020-2021: 24
2019-2020: 37
2018-2019: 22
2017-2018: 63 (The season you said he was great and no other goalie would have done better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad