Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnmtl

Jul 1, 2019
Worst contract in the history of the NHL. He should be in the AHL making $100k or retired.

There are great, good, average, inexperienced, and bad goalies. Coming in dead last, Carey Price.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Price got a concussion from that little
Bump??
Must be more to the story

He must have had a lot of undiagnosed concussions, because they are easier to get every time , like getting knocked out in the ring. You become susceptible to it. Not good , I would say he's one hit away from being done for good if that little bump is keeping him out.

Shawnmtl

Jul 1, 2019
Price got a concussion from that little
Bump??
Must be more to the story
He couldn't take the pressure anymore. Looks better to be hurt than to be poor at your job.

If he is really hurt than I wish him the best and hope for a speedy recovery. Then retire.

Reactions: Tanknation

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Both of our goalies play in front of the same defense.

Allen is 6th in the league in saves above expected.

Price is 20th.

But you don’t get the point. Price faces harderererer shots. Price is so elite that players try to shoot harder on him and all the goals were post-in. That’s called intangibles. Just like when Jonathan Toews was considered the best player in the game.

Reactions: azcanuck

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Worst contract in the history of the NHL. He should be in the AHL making $100k or retired.

There are great, good, average, inexperienced, and bad goalies. Coming in dead last, Carey Price.

As much as I like the guy, the Habs have a big decision coming up this summer.. Personally I would protect Allen and put Price on the expansion list for Seattle to take. It's time to turn the page, and let's be honest I don't think anyone touches that salary in a trade, unless it's for a worse player out there.

Time has come, let's move forward with Allen and Primeau

Reactions: dnl4ever

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As much as I like the guy, the Habs have a big decision coming up this summer.. Personally I would protect Allen and put Price on the expansion list for Seattle to take. It's time to turn the page, and let's be honest I don't think anyone touches that salary in a trade, unless it's for a worse player out there.

Time has come, let's move forward with Allen and Primeau
Price isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. He has a NMC.

And it also doesn't make sense to move him. To replace him you'll need a goalie who's going to make 6 mil if you want something decent. Plus you'll have to buy him out or eat a big piece of the contract. And no goalie is going to do any better than Price has behind this team. Allen (who has played well) is sub .900 since taking the starter's role.

Once again, our problem is that we have a terrible D. And it's not just our goalies that it's hurting. It's the scoring as well.

Spend the money on the D and the team will improve.

Reactions: Holystik

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's both surprising and disappointing he wasn't able to maintain his prime at least throughout his mid-30s. He should have been able to, having such excellent fundamentals.
No goalie is going to be successful behind that bad a D. Not a surprise at all that he dropped off behind that group.

The only thing that's surprising is that we let it get that bad on the blueline. And we did so with ten mil in cap space collecting dust.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Unpopular opinion warning:

My thought at the time of the Price/Halak debate was that we should keep Halak and trade Price, because at the time Halak was much more consistant and Price would bring back so much more in a trade.

It's been more than ten years since then and Price made me eat my words a few times over the years, but I still think in retrospect than trading him then for a young no.1 center (ex: Kopitar) would have been the best choice.

Lol common now. When you say you ate your words a few times, is a few times referring to the next 7 years following that trade? While Price was winning hardware and ranked among the elite, Halak couldn’t nail down a starters position anywhere he played and was being tossed around the league. It’s not even up for debate which goalie should’ve been traded. Price would’ve had slightly better trade value, but it wouldn’t have been a ton more then Halak at the time. We weren’t getting a Kopitar back in return. That’s just delusional.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
In negociations there is two parts. They reach at the middle so that means Price started asking 12 millions but he got 10,5 when Bergevin gave him the no movement clause. I'm just guessing, but it's not like Bergevin litterally gave him 10,5 when Price asked 8 millions.

Really i didn't know that.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Price isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. He has a NMC.

And it also doesn't make sense to move him. To replace him you'll need a goalie who's going to make 6 mil if you want something decent. Plus you'll have to buy him out or eat a big piece of the contract. And no goalie is going to do any better than Price has behind this team. Allen (who has played well) is sub .900 since taking the starter's role.

Once again, our problem is that we have a terrible D. And it's not just our goalies that it's hurting. It's the scoring as well.

Spend the money on the D and the team will improve.

.914 last 5 games for Allen.

Lots of talk about Price needing "lots of games to find his grove" (after spending the last three years talking about how overworked he was).

So lets be fair to Allen. He didnt play enough in the first part of the season. It's taken him a few games to really get into the grove of being number 1. And judging by the last 5 games maybe he's found it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lol common now. When you say you ate your words a few times, is a few times referring to the next 7 years following that trade? While Price was winning hardware and ranked among the elite, Halak couldn’t nail down a starters position anywhere he played and was being tossed around the league. It’s not even up for debate which goalie should’ve been traded. Price would’ve had slightly better trade value, but it wouldn’t have been a ton more then Halak at the time. We weren’t getting a Kopitar back in return. That’s just delusional.
There's no way we shouldn't have gotten a center. But again, the idea is to make yourself better. And in hindsight it's insane we didn't trade Chuck. 30 goal scorer, loads of trade value... we play him on the wing on the 3rd line.

Insane.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Team can't win a f***ing game without him.

Hopefully CC comes in and changes things up because we absolutely suck right now.

Reactions: BLONG7

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Ouf that contract is such a big anchor. Price is not gonna get any better. What we have is a very average goalie with the salary of a superstar in a cap control sport. Ouch , the poisonous gift from Bergevin. Will never have a good team with Price ,not only hes not that great anymore, hes not the leader we could expect from our highest paid player. His non verbal has been shit for a long time. Cant wait to have him out of the team. It will truly be a breath of fresh air and you will see the team starting to play better. He definitely is an elephant in the room. Players still have to say hes the best in the world, its quite ridiculous

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Ouf that contract is such a big anchor. Price is not gonna get any better. What we have is a very average goalie with the salary of a superstar in a cap control sport. Ouch , the poisonous gift from Bergevin. Will never have a good team with Price ,not only hes not that great anymore, hes not the leader we could expect from our highest paid player. His non verbal has been shit for a long time. Cant wait to have him out of the team. It will truly be a breath of fresh air and you will see the team starting to play better. He definitely is an elephant in the room. Players still have to say hes the best in the world, its quite ridiculous

Amen to that. I will open a cold one in celebration on the day he is gone. Hope we get a new GM with some balls to do it this summer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I got bumped like that playing pick up and was dizzy for several days. It doesn’t take much sometimes
My buddy got bumped playing volleyball. It's really how you get hit that matters. If your head snaps back then you're in trouble.

And unfortunately, this is the 2nd or third for Price. That could be a big problem going forward. They'd be smart to just shut him down.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I got bumped like that playing pick up and was dizzy for several days. It doesn’t take much sometimes

Same. I've been hit in the net with the hip just like that. People don't realize that its a hard impact.

With Price, Chiasson was probably going 10-15 km/h and had all of his mass centered around his waist right into the outstretched head of Price.

When I saw Price shaking his head and skating towards the bench after the play I thought he'd be done right then. Kind of silly of him to stay in.

The fact he isn't even scheduled to be on the ice yet is concerning.

Reactions: McGees

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Same. I've been hit in the net with the hip just like that. People don't realize that its a hard impact.

With Price, Chiasson was probably going 10-15 km/h and had all of his mass centered around his waist right into the outstretched head of Price.

When I saw Price shaking his head and skating towards the bench after the play I thought he'd be done right then. Kind of silly of him to stay in.

The fact he isn't even scheduled to be on the ice yet is concerning.
Anytime you have a concussion it's concerning. If it's multiple concussions you have to be really, really careful with it.

Reactions: Canadienna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad