Carey Price showing he'll never be an all-time great of his generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Are the players who keep voting him the best goaltender also a part of the media? There’s a reason he has gotten recognition despite the raw numbers. The McDavid comparison is weak like I pointed out before. The positions are just to different. It’s not as simple as saying “what would happen to McDavid if he posted 40 points?”

He got the recognition for what had done by the players. Add that with the fact that over the last 5 seasons there have been a bunch of goalies nipping at the title of best goalie but none have snatched it. In the end I care about what I see and what the stats show, not his reputation by rival players.

Good goalies have out up great stats on bad teams yet Price's case is different? Explain to me why his raw numbers don't tell the whole story?

Also yes if McDavids numbers dipped his play would be questioned and his status would drop. Why is this different for Price?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He got the recognition for what had done by the players. Add that with the fact that over the last 5 seasons there have been a bunch of goalies nipping at the title of best goalie but none have snatched it. In the end I care about what I see and what the stats show, not his reputation by rival players.

Good goalies have out up great stats on bad teams yet Price's case is different? Explain to me why his raw numbers don't tell the whole story?

Also yes if McDavids numbers dipped his play would be questioned and his status would drop. Why is this different for Price?
Players that voted Price best goalie also voted Barkov the most underrated player. Both things were 2 years gone from being true and players aren't all on the uptick of what's being said and thought of.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goalies are voodoo. And their performance is intrinsically connected to the strength of a teams defense especially in today’s NHL where middle 6 players can pick corners consistently as long as they have a bit of time and space. Investing long term at huge money in this position is ultra risky.

The hottest goalie in the league right now sporting a .944 save percentage is paid 1.5M and is 38 years old coming off an injury, Mike Smith.

Reactions: Beville

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Would have liked to see Price and Lundqvist play on exceptional teams where they didn’t have to stand on their freaking heads for their team to win a game. As a goalie I feel for both of them.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Henrik played 76 playoff games from 2011-2014. His GAA during that span was 2.05 and his SV% was .930.

His record was 39-36. Lol.

That’s a f***ing joke right there. The Rangers offensive ineptitude was on a whole different level.

I think Hans fans need to realize that Price wasn’t the only goalie playing with a pile of horse shit in front of him throughout his career.

Prices peak was from 2013-2016 when he had 4 consecutive seasons of a .920+ SV%. Henrik’s lasted for 7 seasons. In Prices “peak” year he posted a GAA of 1.96 with a .933 SV%. Lundqvists? 1.97GAA with a 9.30 SV%.

Despite both players playing with trash in front of them, the consistency during Henriks peak absolutely trumps Prices. Carey’s peak year wasn’t that much superior to Henriks to begin with.

I’m curious to see what their advanced stats look like for comparison.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Henrik played 76 playoff games from 2011-2014. His GAA during that span was 2.05 and his SV% was .930.

His record was 39-36. Lol.

That’s a f***ing joke right there. The Rangers offensive ineptitude was on a whole different level.

I think Hans fans need to realize that Price wasn’t the only goalie playing with a pile of horse shit in front of him throughout his career.

Prices peak was from 2013-2016 when he had 4 consecutive seasons of a .920+ SV%. Henrik’s lasted for 7 seasons. In Prices “peak” year he posted a GAA of 1.96 with a .933 SV%. Lundqvists? 1.97GAA with a 9.30 SV%.

Despite both players playing with trash in front of them, the consistency during Henriks peak absolutely trumps Prices. Carey’s peak year wasn’t that much superior to Henriks to begin with.

I’m curious to see what their advanced stats look like for comparison.
I remember seeing a statistic about the Rangers' playoff goals per game during Lundqvist's tenure, and it was something like 28th or 29th in the league.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I remember seeing a statistic about the Rangers' playoff goals per game during Lundqvist's tenure, and it was something like 28th or 29th in the league.
I remember seeing that too. Yet, people criticize him for not having a Cup lol. Crazy.

Reactions: Cape

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Price earns his money with a few flashy saves here and there.
He's like a traffic cop who hangs out at Tim Hortons all day only to come out at the 5 o'clock rush hour to hand out tickets.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Thinking about Carey Price just reminds me of what a dud the 2005 draft was outside Crosby. Other than him it yielded Anze Kopitar as far as elite players are concerned and then a few solid players like Letang, Yandle and Stastny and a host of role players. But a good few disappointments..Bobby Ryan who started well but has been a fringe player for the majority of his career now, Jack Johnson who once showed promise but never lived up to it really, Setoguchi who looked good for 5 minutes in 2008/09. And then outright busts like Brule, Pouliot, Skille, Lee..

Price might still have had the 3rd best career out of that draft actually even if he didn't become quite the next all-time great Habs goalie.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If price had an elite team in front of him

he woulda had a cup ring

stop underrating him and look at his stats
If Lundqvist had an elite team in front of him, he would most likely had a cup ring, or multiple cups. It's unfortunate, but it didn't happen for either in their prime.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, it was a weird stat. Something like lowest goals scored and most shots against, or something crazy. Maybe high danger chances? I forget.

Here's another stat.

57.2: The number of wins above replacement Lundqvist has provided since 2007, which is 20 more than the next goalie, according to Evolving Hockey. Over that span, The King stopped 278 goals above expected, nearly 200 more than the next netminder on the list.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, it was a weird stat. Something like lowest goals scored and most shots against, or something crazy. Maybe high danger chances? I forget.

Here's another stat.

57.2: The number of wins above replacement Lundqvist has provided since 2007, which is 20 more than the next goalie, according to Evolving Hockey. Over that span, The King stopped 278 goals above expected, nearly 200 more than the next netminder on the list.
I think someone posted the chart that goes along with the wins above replacement or the goals stopped above expected on the Rangers board last year. Lundqvist is hilariously all the way at the edge of the chart, no other goalie is even close to him.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Rinne is a bit overrated. Played in a defensive style team with Norris level defense infront of him for his whole career. I'd take Price over him in a heartbeat. Lundqvist is a different story, Price loses that one. MAF? Really? He doesn't get invited to the dinner table.

Fun fact: Price and Rinne each have had the same number of Norris winners on their team.

Also, as a neutral fan, I've generally considered the coaches during Prices tenure to be very defensive (particularly Therrien, Julien and Martin).

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Fun fact: Price and Rinne each have had the same number of Norris winners on their team.

Also, as a neutral fan, I've generally considered the coaches during Prices tenure to be very defensive (particularly Therrien, Julien and Martin).

If you've watched hockey a couple times in your life over the past 10 years you'd know that Nashville > Montreal as an overall team, as a defensive structure and as D-depth (at one point they had 4 d-men that could be considered 1-2's on other teams).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayhem41

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lundqvist's consistency >>>>> Price one year peak.

Even if that one year was one of the greatest calendar years any athlete has ever had.

When Lundqvist was Price's age he had a 2.25 GAA and .920 SV%.

Price hasn't had those numbers since the 2016-17 season.
And in that 2017 season..he got outplayed in round 1 of the playoffs by a 35 year old Henrik Lundqvist

Reactions: Unpredictable1

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If you've watched hockey a couple times in your life over the past 10 years you'd know that Nashville > Montreal as an overall team, as a defensive structure and as D-depth (at one point they had 4 d-men that could be considered 1-2's on other teams).

Thanks for being that stubborn guy instead of being the pure hockey guy. Wouldn't expect anything less though from a Canuck fan.
Obviously Trotz is more defensive, but most of Prices coaches have played systems with more defensive structure than Laviolette and Hynes.

Also, people give too much credit to Nashville's defensive system at the expense of Rinne and too much credit to Price at the expense of the defensive systems he's played in.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I feel for Carey Price, at least as much as I can feel for a guy making 10.5, because he's a likeable dude who has been stuck on teams ranging from terrible (2017 to current) to very good, but not quite great (2007-2010, 2012-2015).

But he had an inconsistent start to his career, followed by a hard peak 2013-2015 and has been on a steady decline since, and he's not exactly been stud Jesus in the playoffs.

He's also been ridden hard his whole career, with more GP than Rinne, Quick and Smith (who he's the youngest of).

I still think if he was able to play for a contender (*ahem*, Colorado) he could win a Cup or two, but any trade for him is either gonna be had for a song, with significant monies coming back or with Montreal retaining at least 2.5.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
We've been seeing the beginning of the decline of a very good goalie in Carey Price for the last few years, but now we are truly seeing where this may end up going. It won't be pretty, but it typically isn't.

Price was touted as the perfect goalie prospect. And while he has had some highs, he clearly never reached the all time great status. He'll never be on a level with the best of this generation of goalies.

Goalies like Henrik Lundqvist, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, and Pekka Rinna are the cream of the crop over the last 15 years. He's just never sustained the level of play long enough to be in this group.

He's beginning to be in a group with guys like Braden Holtby, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Jonathan Quick. Guys that had too short of a peak to be more than very good.

The one time you thought he would have his chance in 2014, and his own player went and took him out of the series, it was such a shame. He's never had a chance since then, and some of that lays at his own feet.

Maybe he can have another run in him, but this is looking more of the beginning of the end than a blip on the radar.
Marc andre fleury has never been cream of crop over last 15 years. He had an amazing first year in vegas. Other than that hes been slightly above average and frequently benched in favor of his backup.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I don't know why half of this thread is turning into a Lundqvist vs. Price matchup. I think most Habs fans on here (me included) would agree that Lundqvist has the best career of any goalie post Brodeur. I didn't see hordes trying to dispute that. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad