Carey Price showing he'll never be an all-time great of his generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Look up career sv%. Plenty of active goalies ahead of Price.
I know. Shitty team in front of him.
Yada yada
Mid career SV% is generally a terrible comparison because all goalies drag down their own stats as they decline in their later years. We're literally seeing that right now with Price, and it will happen to the younger guys ahead of him.

There's 8 guys ahead of him in active career SV%, all of em besides Rask and Rinne have played well under half the amount games Price has. If you want to be fair, judge Price against them when they've played the same amount of games in their career.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Mid career SV% is generally a terrible comparison because all goalies drag down their own stats as they decline in their later years. We're literally seeing that right now with Price, and it will happen to the younger guys ahead of him.

There's 8 guys ahead of him in active career SV%, all of em besides Rask and Rinne have played well under half the amount games Price has. If you want to be fair, judge Price against them when they've played the same amount of games in their career.
What about Lundqvist? He played until last season.
Price being the best goalie of his generation simply has no base.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think that Carey Price has already cemented himself as one of the great goalies of his generation.

I'm really not sure what Henrik Lundqvist or Pekka Rinne have done that put them on a higher tier than Price...
I mean, wha? Lundqvist is head and shoulders above Price

Reactions: Kupo

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
What about Lundqvist? He played until last season.
Price being the best goalie of his generation simply has no base.
I didn't say he's the best goalie of his generation. The guy I was quoting was referring to active goalies whom had higher current SV% than Price and I was saying that logic is flawed. Khudobin and Kuemper aren't and weren't ever better goalies than price. And the other younger goalies will likely see a dip in their career SV% as the have weaker stats in the later years of their career.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I wouldn't count him out just yet. Lots of goaltenders become good again at around his age. He still has a couple of years to redeem himself in Montreal or somewhere else.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I understand that goalie stats are different than player stats. What I am stating is that if McDavid's stats for multiple seasons dipped to substandard levels that the concensus would be that he was no longer a star player, let alone best in the league.

For Price despite multiple statistically bad seasons many still held him in the star category and even still discussed as the best goalie amongst the media.
I remember when Ovechkin had a dip in his scoring in the 2010-2013 seasons. Instead of scoring 50+ goals, he scored 32, 38 and 32 goals. There were several threads around here asking if he was done and questioned his star reputation. Ironically, he was still tied for 2nd in the league during that span with 102 goals (same as Perry). Stamkos had 134.
I think someone posted the chart that goes along with the wins above replacement or the goals stopped above expected on the Rangers board last year. Lundqvist is hilariously all the way at the edge of the chart, no other goalie is even close to him.
Yes, the closest goalies were more than halfway the chart behind Lundqvist. That's what world class consistency looks like.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Wrong, we would be better just by the sheer amount of top 5 picks we would have accumulated without him . His cap hasent impaired us from signing anybody yet
Hasn't impaired? So if Price made half of what he makes, the rest of the team would still be the same?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Lundqvist 2012 season is arguably just as good as Price's 2015. It just doesn't get the same attention because Malkin + Stamkos had great seasons that year vs 2015 when we had a historically low scoring year.

I'd argue the same about Luongo's 06-07. Finished 2nd to Crosby who had 120 points.

In Price's Hart year, the Art Ross trophy winner finished 12th in Hart Voting.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
His 2013-2016 peak years might be the 2nd best ever, behind Hasek.

Without his injury in 2015 in the ECF, he might have carried an average to below average team to the Stanley Cup.

He has suck in the last 2 years, but his place in the HoF is already set in stone.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd argue the same about Luongo's 06-07. Finished 2nd to Crosby who had 120 points.

In Price's Hart year, the Art Ross trophy winner finished 12th in Hart Voting.

Price deserved the Hart that season, but he would not have won the Hart in literally any other season dating back to 05-06.

Luongo had to deal with a prime Sidney Crosby scoring 120 points preventing him from getting the Hart.

Lundqvist had to contend with Malkin who had an absolute monster season, scoring 50g 59a 109pts in 75gp. That same year Stamkos scored 60 goals too.

If Price had to deal with that type of competition, with forwards having seasons such as the above mentioned, he would not have won the Hart. I agree, he deserved the Hart that season, but its primarily because he had to contend with players like Jamie Benn and Tavares. He didn't have to contend with prime/peak Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc.

Its why I think Price's Hart is completely overblown. It was the perfect storm to give the goaltender the Hart, literally everything had to go his way to get it and he did. Im not bashing him, but if we are being honest he won it because it was a historically weak season from the top end forwards.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Price deserved the Hart that season, but he would not have won the Hart in literally any other season dating back to 05-06.

Luongo had to deal with a prime Sidney Crosby scoring 120 points preventing him from getting the Hart.

Lundqvist had to contend with Malkin who had an absolute monster season, scoring 50g 59a 109pts in 75gp. That same year Stamkos scored 60 goals too.

If Price had to deal with that type of competition, with forwards having seasons such as the above mentioned, he would not have won the Hart. I agree, he deserved the Hart that season, but its primarily because he had to contend with players like Jamie Benn and Tavares. He didn't have to contend with prime/peak Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc.

Its why I think Price's Hart is completely overblown. It was the perfect storm to give the goaltender the Hart, literally everything had to go his way to get it and he did. Im not bashing him, but if we are being honest he won it because it was a historically weak season from the top end forwards.

Exactly. Plus the media narrative of carrying an otherwise average Habs team to the playoffs was a big help. I'd almost go as far to suggest had he played the same for say Phoenix or Florida he wouldn't of won the Hart (due to less media attention / fanfare)

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hasn't impaired? So if Price made half of what he makes, the rest of the team would still be the same?
yeah the team would basically be the same lmao i dont see what free agents you think we would sign. we also dont have any good players that we are scared of losing i dont think anybody is losing sleep over danault or tatar or gallagher potentially walking

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
His 2013-2016 peak years might be the 2nd best ever, behind Hasek.

Without his injury in 2015 in the ECF, he might have carried an average to below average team to the Stanley Cup.

He has suck in the last 2 years, but his place in the HoF is already set in stone.
Really? It wasn't even the top 2 stretches in his teams history in that. Roy and Dryden's peaks were well beyond that. I don't know why people wanted to put him beyond that.

It wasn't just the last 2 years, the last lockout half year he was bad, 17-18 he was bad. This is an up and down career and not what is a lock for the HOF. Lots of good peaks happen by 3 years of goalies who were great a period. They don't make it into the HOF for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad