Carey Price showing he'll never be an all-time great of his generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
We've been seeing the beginning of the decline of a very good goalie in Carey Price for the last few years, but now we are truly seeing where this may end up going. It won't be pretty, but it typically isn't.

Price was touted as the perfect goalie prospect. And while he has had some highs, he clearly never reached the all time great status. He'll never be on a level with the best of this generation of goalies.

Goalies like Henrik Lundqvist, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, and Pekka Rinna are the cream of the crop over the last 15 years. He's just never sustained the level of play long enough to be in this group.

He's beginning to be in a group with guys like Braden Holtby, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Jonathan Quick. Guys that had too short of a peak to be more than very good.

The one time you thought he would have his chance in 2014, and his own player went and took him out of the series, it was such a shame. He's never had a chance since then, and some of that lays at his own feet.

Maybe he can have another run in him, but this is looking more of the beginning of the end than a blip on the radar.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
upload_2021-2-25_23-7-42.png

31 teams in the league, a starter and a backup each = 62 goalies

Price managed to be worst than all of them.

Forget about blaming the coach and GM, the real 10.5 M$/year elephant in the room is Price and his horrible performance this year.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Lundqvist's consistency >>>>> Price one year peak.

Even if that one year was one of the greatest calendar years any athlete has ever had.

When Lundqvist was Price's age he had a 2.25 GAA and .920 SV%.

Price hasn't had those numbers since the 2016-17 season.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
I think that Carey Price has already cemented himself as one of the great goalies of his generation.

I'm really not sure what Henrik Lundqvist or Pekka Rinne have done that put them on a higher tier than Price...

You serious?
Lundqvist has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezinas, and a Stanley Cup appearance. His peak is arguably better than Price

Edit- Wow looks like i was wrong about multiple Vezinas. I could have sworn he won it more than once.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You serious?
Lundqvist has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezinas, and a Stanley Cup appearance. His peak is arguably better than Price
Those are scattered moments. Peak as in a single year peak Price did better than what Lundqvist did in a single season.

He's been declined for a couple years now. He's still young he COULD recover like Pinne who had his vezina and 2nd best year at 35, but it shouldn't be a done assumption that Price is actually going to climb up to that again.

Reactions: User9992

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
VEZINA FINISHES
Price
Lundqvist 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6
Rinne 1,2,2,3,4,7

you were saying?
Price has not had near the quality of teams that the other two have had. I'm not saying that Price is better than either of them. I just don't see those two as head and shoulders above Price. The Habs have been pretty poorly managed over Price's career.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Lundqvist was absurdly consistent
Lundqvist also consistently had strong teams around him for quite a while. I think it would be more reasonable to bump Lundqvist up to his own tier, rather than bump Price down to Holtby/Bobrovsky territory.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You serious?

Edit- Wow looks like i was wrong about multiple Vezinas. I could have sworn he won it more than once.
I'm not sure why people are taking this as me saying that Price is better than Lundqvist. My whole point is that they're basically on the same level, I definitely don't think Price is on Bobrovsky/Holtby territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad