rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
74f6e990-882d-475c-b7d8-ec464a1b18c8-jpeg.400646

I think he could regain his form, but he's having this kind of year

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I didn't realize there was even a debate as to whether Price or Lundqvist were better. Price vs Rask is a closer debate IMO.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The Canadian hype machine went all out for Price for a while there - same as they did for Toews and Crosby. Price never quite matched it with his career.

Reactions: Realgud

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
To Seattle
Carey Price with 50% Retention
2021 1st
2022 1st
2023 1st
2024 1st

To Montreal
A Kurt Cobain autographed Nirvana album
A Starbucks inside the Bell Center

For once a legit "change of scenery" trade proposal :sarcasm:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I never thought Price was anything super special. Very good technical goalie who had one insane year and a couple of very good ones.

As a penguin fan he doesn't hold a candle to King Henrick who was good every game of every year for like a decade or more. Sorry.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Rinne under 910 SV% in 4 of his last 5 playoff runs

Price over 919 SV% in 5 of his last 6

Rinne had the much better D too.... That said Rinne had the best single playoff run
Oh, my bad, for some reason I thought you were talking about Lundqvist. I agree that Price has been better than Rinne in the playoffs.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You serious?
Lundqvist has an Olympic Gold Medal, multiple Vezinas, and a Stanley Cup appearance. His peak is arguably better than Price

Edit- Wow looks like i was wrong about multiple Vezinas. I could have sworn he won it more than once.

I'd say Price had a higher peak, but The Kong had a better and longer prime. I guess it depends what people value.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I see the point but not really fair to compare him with guys who played 1 game. Where he lands in goalies who've played 10 games or more is a better indicator.

Reactions: Jango Fett

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
In the end, despite the teams around them - stats, awards, results and voting matters in judging a player.

The problem when it comes to Price is that there has been a narrative pushed over the last 5 or so years by his supporters and grabbed definitly by the media that stats don't tell the story on Price. That he just needed a capable backup to retain his form. That stats don't say everything - Just look how CALM he is in net. That this year will be different because he finally has a top 5 defence in front of him.

Despite awful showings, poor results and 3 seasons with bottom of the barrel starting goalie stats the maintained push up until recently is that he was still a top goalie in the league.

Price became a star, and then somehow managed to become the first player I've ever seen to maintain that image and reputation despite everything showing he was not. If McDavid posted a healthy 40 point season he would quickly be surplanted as the best player. Let alone 4 straight.

Price posting bad numbers isn’t the equivalent of McDavid posting bad numbers. Goaltending is a specialized position. You can’t compare the two because they’re vastly different things.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
As with Fleury, the media adores him so it doesn't really matter what he does on the ice. He'll get rated as the best goalie in the league until he retires. If he has decent second half to the season and finishes with .905sv% I'd expect him to get some Vezina votes.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Price posting bad numbers isn’t the equivalent of McDavid posting bad numbers. Goaltending is a specialized position. You can’t compare the two because they’re vastly different things.

I understand that goalie stats are different than player stats. What I am stating is that if McDavid's stats for multiple seasons dipped to substandard levels that the concensus would be that he was no longer a star player, let alone best in the league.

For Price despite multiple statistically bad seasons many still held him in the star category and even still discussed as the best goalie amongst the media.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I understand that goalie stats are different than player stats. What I am stating is that if McDavid's stats for multiple seasons dipped to substandard levels that the concensus would be that he was no longer a star player, let alone best in the league.

For Price despite multiple statistically bad seasons many still held him in the star category and even still discussed as the best goalie amongst the media.

Are the players who keep voting him the best goaltender also a part of the media? There’s a reason he has gotten recognition despite the raw numbers. The McDavid comparison is weak like I pointed out before. The positions are just to different. It’s not as simple as saying “what would happen to McDavid if he posted 40 points?”

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Not that I disagree with the "Price isn't the best goalie ever" thing but really hurts your credibility when you include Fleury with guys like Lundqvist and Rinne...

Reactions: Weztex
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad