Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good post. Stoo Price was Hasek like from 104 Olympics until he was injured early 016 season. He was desevedly a hands down winner of the 015 Hart trophy. I feel that is where the adulation that annoys you comes from. Warranted or not.

Enjoyed this post. However, The 016 collapse happened long before game 66 where Subban was injured. You simply cannot connect PKs injury to the collapse. The team did miss Gallagher but he was back on January 1st. MBs choice of back up goalies was laughable. This and Therriens coaching lead a Carey Priceless team to a winning percentage that was actually worse than the then tanking Maple Leafs. One could say if Price missed that entire season the Habs would have Matthews today.
The 08 melt down was just that. Carey stunk against the Flyers. Habs outplayed them every game and lost in 5. Price was a rookie. So what. So was Murray when he played fantastic and won a Cup. Roy, Dryden, Ward all put up MVP like rookie play off performances. As have many other masked men.

Price peaked in 015. He could still today back a contender to a Cup. But he signed long term with a losing franchise. So he wont get that chance.

Murray was 22/23 playing behind a powerhouse during his rookie run. He also had 2 seasons in the AHL as prep. Ward was 22 with a season as a starter in the AHL as well. Price made the jump to quick because of his Calder Cup run right after his junior season ended. I still can’t get over how stupid Gainey was for trading Huet for a pick and leaving a first place teams faith in two rookies hands, no matter how talented both Price and Halak were at the time.

Reactions: Genesis76

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Murray was 22/23 playing behind a powerhouse during his rookie run. He also had 2 seasons in the AHL as prep. Ward was 22 with a season as a starter in the AHL as well. Price made the jump to quick because of his Calder Cup run right after his junior season ended. I still can’t get over how stupid Gainey was for trading Huet for a pick and leaving a first place teams faith in two rookies hands, no matter how talented both Price and Halak were at the time.
Yes . Agree to all that. But Price owns his own play . Early/youth or not. Carey was 20/21.

I also thought Huet trade was an extremely bad move.

Reactions: Genesis76

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Recalling the O'Byrne purse steal and the alleged circumstances behind it, trading Huet may not have been a total hockey move.

It may be revisionist history, but I remember Huet being pretty shocked and disappointed when it happened. I think it had a lot more to do with Price looking like a starter and Halak looking NHL ready as well. Not to mention Huet was looking for huge contract which we were never going to give him. Gainey valued a second round pick over having a veteran presence which was ridiculous for a team that was supposed to be contending that year. It’s one of his most underrated mistakes during his tenure.

Reactions: PaulD and Genesis76

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
It may be revisionist history, but I remember Huet being pretty shocked and disappointed when it happened. I think it had a lot more to do with Price looking like a starter and Halak looking NHL ready as well. Not to mention Huet was looking for huge contract which we were never going to give him. Gainey valued a second round pick over having a veteran presence which was ridiculous for a team that was supposed to be contending that year. It’s one of his most underrated mistakes during his tenure.
It wasn't a good move by any stretch, but historically the way the organization handled off ice issues was to go nuclear and bail on the player. You are right though, he was looking for too much in free agency.

Reactions: hockeyfan2k18

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I still can’t get over how stupid Gainey was for trading Huet for a pick and leaving a first place teams faith in two rookies hands, no matter how talented both Price and Halak were at the time.
I didn't understand the move at the time, still don't understand it now. With Huet stepping in we likely move past Philly in the second round. One of gaineys worst moves imo.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

See, i knew we would connect somewhere. We’re not so different after all :)

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I didn't understand the move at the time, still don't understand it now. With Huet stepping in we likely move past Philly in the second round. One of gaineys worst moves imo.

Everything makes sense when you realise that their only agenda was to force push Carey as the starter . Every decision was made at the expense of the fans and the organisation. We lost more than a decade because some people wanted to profit out of Carey Price.

He was obviously not ready to take on that challenge so why not take the necessary measurements and precautions?

The way they managed the whole thing looks so dumb and amateurish. In 2009 they basicly let go all the free agents without getting a pick Back. Like who does that.....

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Biron was playing well if I remember correctly. Having Huet atleast would’ve given us a chance. He had a lot more value to our team then any rental return. Price had a heck of a rookie season and looked unbeatable the first 4 games of that Boston series. The wheels came completely off after a really poor 3rd period in game 5 and he never really recovered even if he did have a shutout in game 7 of that B’s series. Young goalies are fragile which is why you don’t see many in the league at that age.

Reactions: Fixxer

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I lot of fans remember Uncle Bob for the Scott Gomez trade but the Cristobal Huet was really bad also. I also believe we could have defeated the Flyers if Huet was still with us.

Huet was still our #1 goalie and Price didn’t dethrone him, useless trade imo.

Reactions: Fixxer

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Actually, I see absolutely no upside for anyone to use the injury as a cover-up.

I mean... For ****'s sakes, his wife is giving birth. It's not like he's missing some time because he's ... I dunno, gone fishing on the Emerald Coast.
Hes injured. Probably long term again

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Recalling the O'Byrne purse steal and the alleged circumstances behind it, trading Huet may not have been a total hockey move.
You, sir, are correct. And Huet HAD to leave Mtl. It wasn't even a choice. Unfortunatly. I liked him a lot.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
While I don’t have stats to back it up, I have commented over the years to my missus that how well Price plays seems to be in direct opposition to how well or shitty the backup is playing.

Reactions: Canadienna

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It wasn't a good move by any stretch, but historically the way the organization handled off ice issues was to go nuclear and bail on the player. You are right though, he was looking for too much in free agency.

I remember that first game for Huet against Montreal after that trade. There was some pretty heated chirping going on between some of the habs and Huet throughout the game.

It made me think that maybe he wasn't the most popular player on the team at the team at the time, and maybe that purse thing was part of it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think we would’ve heard he joined the team by now on this trip if he was going to be back Monday. If it’s not serious, he’ll start at home on Thursday against Vancouver.
My money's on this.

Then again, he might miss the rest of the year. :laugh:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Maybe the hockey gods will smile and Mcniven stands on his head for a couple games. Usually it’s some obscure French Canadien who does it to us.

Is Mcniven from Texas by chance? ;)

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Is he also longest tenured on the disable list?

Almost, just behind Crawford

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-12-31-%C3%A0-11.40.12.png

Reactions: Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad