Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
They told us he's injured! Relax...
I'm not sure what you're defending. My point was for the Habs to do exactly what they said they'd do: Be transparent with their fans. If they're now honouring that promise and giving us an honest update, great.

But to be clear, the overexcited panic is because this organization screwed up multiple times by withholding information and being secretive. They created their own boogeyman. You can't simply tell the public to forget years of dishonesty and "Relax".

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not sure what you're defending. My point was for the Habs to do exactly what they said they'd do: Be transparent with their fans. If they're now honouring that promise and giving us an honest update, great.

But to be clear, the overexcited panic is because this organization screwed up multiple times by withholding information and being secretive. They created their own boogeyman. You can't simply tell the public to forget years of dishonesty and "Relax".
Now that they've given us the latest update - my questions are the following

- If this has been bothering him for a few days (one can presume weeks since they haven't played in nearly 1 week), then why was he allowed to play 2 sets of back to backs?

- If this bothered him before the xmas break...why not send him to get looked at BEFORE the xmas break so that when the players would return, you'd have a better idea of the timetable for his return.

This may all end up being nothing about nothing...but on the surface, considering the optics, it just doesn't look good, again.

And i'm not one of those conspiracy types either.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Sure my friend... The bogeyman was virtually created as usual but whatever.

They told you Price is injured! what the heck do you want more? They even placed him on the IR list?

Knowing exactly what his injury is would somehow make you feel better? This is so dumb to be honest...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

They told you Price is injured! what the heck do you want more? They even placed him on the IR list?

Knowing exactly what his injury is would somehow make you feel better? This is so dumb to be honest...
Well they've known Price has been injured for a little while now...so maybe an explanation as to why he's been allowed to continue to play, back to back sets no less, would seem like an appropriate question to ask and have answered.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Well they've known Price has been injured for a little while now...so maybe an explanation as to why he's been allowed to continue to play, back to back sets no less, would seem like an appropriate question to ask and have answered.

I found some research on why he was allowed to play through so many games:

Antti Niemi Sucks Forum

Compelling stuff! :sarcasm:

Reactions: 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Yep, if you aren't honest with the fans then you can't expect them to believe you when you come forward with things. It opens the door to public speculation...

Reactions: BLONG7

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Now that they've given us the latest update - my questions are the following

- If this has been bothering him for a few days (one can presume weeks since they haven't played in nearly 1 week), then why was he allowed to play 2 sets of back to backs?

- If this bothered him before the xmas break...why not send him to get looked at BEFORE the xmas break so that when the players would return, you'd have a better idea of the timetable for his return.

This may all end up being nothing about nothing...but on the surface, considering the optics, it just doesn't look good, again.

And i'm not one of those conspiracy types either.
It's possible Price didn't say anything and nobody knew. You'd think that after the 2015/16 fiasco, the org is on constant red-alert when Price sneezes. I doubt they'd consciously send him onto the ice if they thought anything was wrong.

Or it could all be part of the master plan to lottery-bomb the draft. Price out, Alzner in, Vladimir Putin colluding with Geoff Molson.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I completely disagree! I don't think there's one f***ing guy around here more qualified than Mulder or whoever is overviewing all this stuff! So all this whining is just useless.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
How difficult would it be to announce that Price felt something in his knee/ankle/groin/wherever? The situation grows larger and the speculation more intense when they say nothing.

They did announce it now! Price did feel something in her groin and the situation obviously grew larger when the head presented itself...

Seriously, medical fraud? NHL teams lie all the time about that stuff if it benefits them and the player in some way. Just look at concussions. Any self-respecting doctor would never allow players back on the ice so quickly for 90% of the concussions happening,

This was probably the best way for everyone to give him a week or two with his wife and the new baby, and allow the team to bury his contract on the IR list and sign a couple of emergency players.

It's funny, because I thought exactly the same thing last summer before Pacs was traded. That both Price and Pacs would be on the IR in december/january. Another reason to get rid of Pacs asap, as I don't expect him to be very devoted to hockey after january.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm not a fan of Bergevin at all, but I don't see why people expect the team to give detailed injury accounts to the public.

First of all, the information is then available to other teams.
Second, medicine can be complex, sometimes doctors, even great ones, need time to figure things out.
Third, one can argue that the medical information is private. The patient, doctor, and team deserve to know, but the public is not entitled to that information.

I expect with the new gambling contract the NHL negotiated, they will have to set strict rules regarding full and timely disclosures of injuries.

Reactions: DAChampion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's possible Price didn't say anything and nobody knew. You'd think that after the 2015/16 fiasco, the org is on constant red-alert when Price sneezes. I doubt they'd consciously send him onto the ice if they thought anything was wrong.

Or it could all be part of the master plan to lottery-bomb the draft. Price out, Alzner in, Vladimir Putin colluding with Geoff Molson.
Maybe...that post was meant as much for Price as it was for the coaching staff though.

If something has been bothering him, and coaches are aware and he's obviously aware, then common sense needs to prevail and he needs to get checked out early in the process.

Not play through it and possibly make it worse.

Reactions: DAChampion

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So Price was dealing with this "irritation" for a few weeks, but could play as well as he did no matter what.....but yet they have to wait on what the doctors are going to say and they're hoping it's day to day. Yeah right.

So they are telling the doctors didn't take a look at this and monitering the situation from day 1?
No chances.
And they kept playing Price more than any goalie in the league in December with Back to back games
No chances.

One thing is for sure, healthy or not, Price wouldn't be playing on that Florida trip and stay in Montreal.
That much we know. Still believe they are simply running a story here.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I completely disagree! I don't think there's one ****ing guy around here more qualified than Mulder or whoever is overviewing all this stuff!
Yes - one would think that.

But once more, this has been bothering him for at least 10 days...why wait so long to get him looked after?

This isn't some run-of-the-mill 4th line player...

So all this whining is just useless.
I'm not whining...i'm asking questions I think are appropriate and that I think any fan would want to know in this circumstance.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't think there's a coincidence that he gets a 'day to day' just as the team leaves for Florida and his wife has their 2nd child. Maybe he's got a minor injury to be looked at but I doubt there's anything to this.

Then again, as you pointed out earlier... the team has a bad track record of not being honest with it's fans. This is how it was presented back in the 2016 season when Price initially went down as well.

My money's on him re-joining after the roadtrip. If he doesn't then (gulp) we're in trouble again.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Smells like last years injury and the Habs being very limited on the info has me thinking. Long term again.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Okay, why update the standings every day? How does knowing the stats change how the team is doing? Does it make you feel better knowing who has the most goals?

If you attach importance to the numbers, it's natural to attach importance to the people generating those numbers. You can't tell fans to get excited over Price's saves and be indifferent to an injury that prevents him from making saves. We expect to have access to stats, standings, wins & losses, just like we expect info on injuries, because they're all connected.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
My wife from Pittsburgh just gleefully told me Price is out for three weeks and kissed my cheek . My reply? Good, maybe he will have time to help you shovel the driveway...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yep, if you aren't honest with the fans then you can't expect them to believe you when you come forward with things. It opens the door to public speculation...
Habs have been awful over the past few years, on telling people what is going down........which made Molson's we will be more transparent even more hilarious at last years presser...

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Reminiscent of Weber last season? Playing injured then all of a sudden out of the lineup which ended up being extended to almost a full year.

Whatever his issue is they should be open about the timeframe for all, especially the rest of the team.

These older goaltenders with injury histories seem to keep going down with something (Crawford, Miller, Luongo, Quick, Elliott, Price, etc.).

Too bad for Lindgren too because he would probably be getting a chance to play here if he was healthy.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think there's a coincidence that he gets a 'day to day' just as the team leaves for Florida and his wife has their 2nd child. Maybe he's got a minor injury to be looked at but I doubt there's anything to this.

Then again, as you pointed out earlier... the team has a bad track record of not being honest with it's fans. This is how it was presented back in the 2016 season when Price initially went down as well.

My money's on him re-joining after the roadtrip. If he doesn't then (gulp) we're in trouble again.
Yeah, makes sense. Logically, this whole kerfuffle adds up to good timing to nurse a minor pull. But damn... look at the bad karma this org hath wrought.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes - one would think that.

But once more, this has been bothering him for at least 10 days...why wait so long to get him looked after?

This isn't some run-of-the-mill 4th line player...

Speculation...

Who said he was not checked?

I mean this is useless, to be honest.

I'm not whining...i'm asking questions I think are appropriate and that I think any fan would want to know in this circumstance.

Your questions have no answers, to be honest...

If he was indeed injured, he wouldn't be on the ice yesterday!

He apparently tweaked something or he got hit with a puck or god knows what happened, and now he's out!

The organization told you he's out with a lower-body injury! But here you are asking for more... I mean... They probably have no clue either at this point in time...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Speculation...

Who said he was not checked?

I mean this is useless, to be honest.
I'm sure he was checked...but he continued to play, despite some sort of discomfort.

This, on the surface, again, knowing the history...does not seem like a prudent approach.

Your questions have no answers, to be honest...
I wasn't expecting to be answered here, but it would be nice if they were answered. I'm not holding my breath.

If he was indeed injured, he wouldn't be on the ice yesterday!

He apparently tweaked something or he got hit with a puck or god knows what happened, and now he's out!
CJ is on record as saying they knew something was bothering him before the xmas break, they hoped it would get better over the time off, but he re-aggravated whatever was bothering him yesterday.

The organization told you he's out with a lower-body injury! But here you are asking for more... I mean... They probably have no clue either at this point in time...
He's been "injuered" at least 10 days, if they don't know what's bothering him, something is wrong.

I'm not asking for more, i'm just curious why the franchise player has been allowed to drag and play through an injury.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Reactions: groovejuice

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm sure he was checked...but he continued to play, despite some sort of discomfort.

This, on the surface, again, knowing the history...does not seem like a prudent approach.

I wasn't expecting to be answered here, but it would be nice if they were answered. I'm not holding my breath.

CJ is on record as saying they knew something was bothering him before the xmas break, they hoped it would get better over the time off, but he re-aggravated whatever was bothering him yesterday.

He's been "injuered" at least 10 days, if they don't know what's bothering him, something is wrong.

I'm not asking for more, i'm just curious why the franchise player has been allowed to drag and play through an injury.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

If he was allowed to get on the ice it means it was nothing serious...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad