Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
You have to find yourself once again where you were called the greatest goalie, or its down deep hill for a very very long time.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I have an idea by trade deadline we will be in market for a goalie. We can't survive long with goaltending like this

lol what else we can do?

Trade Niemi to get something?

Play Price 41 match a year and have another goalie play 41 match a year?

Not even half of the season of his first year out of 8 is completed and we are already looking for a goalie to help him?

hahaha at this rate just buy him back and let play McNiven , if you see it like that.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I thought he's paid what he is and treated how he is because he doesn't need to "find" his game.

CJ is protecting his goalie but I don't buy it. He isn't a rookie. CJ is saying things he'd say about a young goalie who had a tough game - not a veteran on the richest deal in history who has been bad for over a season now.

Nope. I dunno if he's working hard enough or too hard or whatever - and I don't particularly care. It's about results and he's not only not helping the Habs but he's actively hurting them.

Reactions: dragonballgtz

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Definitely would help to have more than 1 Top 4 in front of him
Better defence will definitely help, but this looks like another case of Price's wounded confidence seeping into his game, as it's done throughout his career. Who knows -- it all might've been triggered by all those open slots and ridiculous defensive breakdowns, plus playing with new pads, but now he's playing like he expects to fail. Some goalies shrug off crap and focus on today. Price isn't one of them. Can he get his head straight as he's done before? Man... I hope so.

Reactions: Edgy

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I thought he's paid what he is and treated how he is because he doesn't need to "find" his game.

CJ is protecting his goalie but I don't buy it. He isn't a rookie. CJ is saying things he'd say about a young goalie who had a tough game - not a veteran on the richest deal in history who has been bad for over a season now.

Nope. I dunno if he's working hard enough or too hard or whatever - and I don't particularly care. It's about results and he's not only not helping the Habs but he's actively hurting them.

Well what's your point exactly? Everyone, including Carey Price, knows he's not playing well enough. You think he's going to retire or something?

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Here comes the Price apologists.
He's never to blame, it's the team in front of him !
Yep it's just ridiculous.The guy is toast and it hasn't only been this year.What does the team in front of him have to do with clear shots from the blue line that go in.Shots from impossible angles that go in,rebounds that shouldn't be end up in the back of the net.
I can understand when our defense screws up leaving 2 on 1 breaks or whatever but there is no more excuses for Carey Price.I don't care if he is making 10 mil /year or the league minimum he either starts playing at least average or sit him ,trade him or buy him out,put him on waivers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think Claude is doing what he should, publicly backing his goalie. Everyone knows he isn't playing up to par, Claude saying it and how he needs to be better is just too obvious. Instead he acknowledges his struggles without naming them instead referring to good vs great, while also spreading the blame across the entire team for weak defensive outtings, which is totally fair.
I can't blame Claude for doing that, I think he said things perfectly.

That being said, I don't give two craps about it. Price needs to wake the hell up so he regains value and we can trade him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think Claude is doing what he should, publicly backing his goalie. Everyone knows he isn't playing up to par, Claude saying it and how he needs to be better is just too obvious. Instead he acknowledges his struggles without naming them instead referring to good vs great, while also spreading the blame across the entire team for weak defensive outtings, which is totally fair.

That being said, I don't give two craps about it. Price needs to wake the hell up so he regains value and we can trade him.
Claude could have said more (or just as much) by not commenting at all.

Not trying to crack the Divinchi code here. Play better . Way better. Period.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah that's pretty much my point.

It's good the coach is protecting his player, if only TheRien could've thought to do so about PK and others, but ultimately it doesn't mean anything. Price isn't a rookie and he isn't beleaguered. He is paid like a super duper star and was given the keys to the city (so to speak) - he has to redeem himself.

I know just complaining about it from our side doesn't help anyone but it's good to vent. Price has let the team and the fans down. If he can't get his game together he should be shut down for an extended period of time maybe. I think he'll get it together but he's really pushing the limits of everybody's goodwill and faith.

I say this as a massive and relentless Price supporter. How he is playing is indefensible.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It’s a negative loop. Price not playing well exasperated by his bad D that can’t allow him to get any confidence in his game which makes his D do things to try and help more that causes more mistakes.

Price needs to be the one who improves and do his thing. Stop flopping around and overplaying the shot, stay square and rely on his positioning which is what made him the best in the world.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It’s a negative loop. Price not playing well exasperated by his bad D that can’t allow him to get any confidence in his game which makes his D do things to try and help more that causes more mistakes.

Price needs to be the one who improves and do his thing. Stop flopping around and overplaying the shot, stay square and rely on his positioning which is what made him the best in the world.

He simply can't play his normal game. He is not healthy. He is trying to make up for his right side weakness by all sorts of risky moves.

Unless the physical disability reverses itself, he will not play out eight years. He will have to eventually retire from the league. Tonight might be the first step in that process, as he is asked to "take a step back".

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Claude's comments about Price were spot on.

When there are 2-3 goals a game he can't possibly stop, any other goal he lets in gets scrutinized. I don't think he's been adequate for his salary and role on the team but the players in front of him are gonna have to put in effort to shield him until he gets his mojo back.

This is a very dangerous time for our team. If Niemi doesn't win games, I'm afraid Julien will tell Ducharme and Richardson that the up-tempo style has to go, and that we need to play kitty-bar-the-door again. And we could be getting the tank some are looking for.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
The Habs are 3rd in the East with awful goalies (below 0.900%, it can't go lower then than, let's be honest).
They're not going to change their style.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Better defence will definitely help, but this looks like another case of Price's wounded confidence seeping into his game, as it's done throughout his career. Who knows -- it all might've been triggered by all those open slots and ridiculous defensive breakdowns, plus playing with new pads, but now he's playing like he expects to fail. Some goalies shrug off crap and focus on today. Price isn't one of them. Can he get his head straight as he's done before? Man... I hope so.

It's not his head, it's his body. Let's do ourselves a favour and go back and watch highlights of games or even just goals since the start of LAST year. There is a problem on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad