Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I like Price but he's been bad for a season and a half now. It seems that it's kind of going the opposite way now too. His good games get talked up above what they were. I believe in him but he's left a lot to be desired to the past 18 months. Our D is garbage but he hasn't often been a lot of help.

What did you expect him to do on the last two goals, honestly?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Really not sure from my post where you get that I was talking about tonight's game. Kind of baffling honestly.

Your post comes right after this game. So obviously this game also matters in your opinion. Whether you like it or not, Price has been playing much better than last season. His stats aren't high but his defence is atrocious. Trust me, while I may be a Price defender, I would be more careful trying to défend Price if we had another goalie posting some .920+ on a regular basis. Yet, Niemi hasn't allowed less than 3 goals/game this season. This leads me to believe that Price can't be a God.

Yet I am beginning to be concerned about our whole depth at the goalie position. It's not like our AHL goalies are crazy good right now

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, we can complain about Price all we want but there is zero help in the pipeline. Niemi has been trash and Lindgren has been bad this year. McNiven looked terrible in a few games as well.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Your post comes right after this game. So obviously this game also matters in your opinion. Whether you like it or not, Price has been playing much better than last season. His stats aren't high but his defence is atrocious. Trust me, while I may be a Price defender, I would be more careful trying to défend Price if we had another goalie posting some .920+ on a regular basis. Yet, Niemi hasn't allowed less than 3 goals/game this season. This leads me to believe that Price can't be a God.

Yet I am beginning to be concerned about our whole depth at the goalie position. It's not like our AHL goalies are crazy good right now

We seem to find a way to do pretty well as far as depth with goaltenders. It may not look great now, but we do have Primeau hiding away. We’ll likely find another shortly. Whether it be Waite, Melanson, etc. We’ve done very well developing them up until this point so far.

Reactions: Fixxer

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Price sucks and we gave him an awful contract. I don’t want to come off as a hater but he’s not that good anymore. He’s not the best in the world. I hope Price makes me eat my words but I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

No, obviously it does not. I don't post on this forum as much as others. The Price thread was near the top so I posted in it. I acknowledged that I still believed in him and that the D was terrible. Doesn't mean that this season hasn't been peppered with Price giving up back-breaking goals that a couple of years back wouldn't have had a chance of going in with him. We've seen him battling pucks and tracking them less a lot more too. He's been better than last year but it still doesn't say much. He's supposed to be the best netminder in the game. He hasn't been close to that. Whether his back-up should be seeing NHL ice or not (he shouldn't) is immaterial to that opinion.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

.900 last year to .901 so far this year, yep he's killing it. He's getting goal support this year too, there is no excuse. He just sucks. Does anyone ever think that maybe he is part of the reason "the defense is bad"? Defensemen play worse when they know they can't rely on their goaltender to bail them out.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
.900 last year to .901 so far this year, yep he's killing it. He's getting goal support this year too, there is no excuse. He just sucks. Does anyone ever think that maybe he is part of the reason "the defense is bad"? Defensemen play worse when they know they can't rely on their goaltender to bail them out.

Yeah. Poor Benn, Reilly, Kulak, Mete, Ouelette, Juulsen, Alzner, Schlemko, and the entire forward group who can’t defend outside of maybe 2 or 3 are all victims’s of Carey Price... give your head a shake.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you know anything about defense then no, you would not think for a second that Price is part of the problem on defense. How do you blame Price for all the horrible turnovers in our own zone, the terrible positioning of our guys, and the sloppy coverage??? He literally has zero involvement in any of this.

Btw, you talk about goal support. Habs have lost 3 games since November when scoring 3G+. You make it sound like Price is blowing things up for this power house of a team.

I'm no Price fan. I want him traded. Been saying as much before he signed his terrible extension. He could also play better, but I'm not going to act irrational and start blaming him for this terrible defense. Come on now, keep it together mate.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Since Weber return Price stats have improved.

In 10 games (9 starts)

Carey Price
.910 2.52

Without Weber this season
.897 3.17

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Yeah. Poor Benn, Reilly, Kulak, Mete, Ouelette, Juulsen, Alzner, Schlemko, and the entire forward group who can’t defend outside of maybe 2 or 3 are all victims’s of Carey Price... give your head a shake.

Here we go again....

Back to square one.

I thought we all agreed he's playing like trash this year. Can we move forward and look at other avenues before it's actually too late?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here we go again....

Back to square one.

I thought we all agreed he's playing like trash this year. Can we move forward and look at other avenues before it's actually too late?
Are you saying goalies don't need a decent defence out in front of them? Habs had 15 turnovers in one period last night...we played like trash. Price has actually been alot better, with the return of Weber, a real Dman...since Bergevin destroyed the D, he now needs to fix his own mistakes...again.

Reactions: ArtPeur

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's not often you can say a goalie played well while allowing 4 goals, but that was a whole world of ugly against the bruins.

That 3rd goal was symbolic of the whole game. There was no help for price, and it could have been a much worse scoreline.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

2pafcg.jpg

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Are you saying goalies don't need a decent defence out in front of them? Habs had 15 turnovers in one period last night...we played like trash. Price has actually been alot better, with the return of Weber, a real Dman...since Bergevin destroyed the D, he now needs to fix his own mistakes...again.

Many goalies had bad defences and they still managed to play well.

The D has a hard time synchronising it self with Price. Its obvious. Its been over a year now.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You keep saying this, and it just isn't true. In what tangible way has he been better?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Many goalies had bad defences and they still managed to play well.

The D has a hard time synchronising it self with Price. Its obvious. Its been over a year now.
This. When Dmen do not have confidence in their goaltender, they will play nervous, try to hard, overcommit, etc. This all leads to mistakes, i.e., turnovers.

Reactions: Genesis76

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You keep saying this, and it just isn't true. In what tangible way has he been better?

And you are the one who decide what's true or not?
Cause Price has played a lot better lately, not because you keep saying the opposite that it makes it anymore true.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad