Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
And you are the one who decide what's true or not?
Cause Price has played a lot better lately, not because you keep saying the opposite that it makes it anymore true.
He looks like trash, and his numbers are just as bad. Same old shit for going on 2 years now.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This. When Dmen do not have confidence in their goaltender, they will play nervous, try to hard, overcommit, etc. This all leads to mistakes, i.e., turnovers.

When goaltender do not have confidence in their D-men, he will play nervous, try to hard, overcommit, etc. This all leads to bad read, i.e., bad goals.

Now you're telling that Kulak or Schlemko don't have confidence in Vezina winner Price.....but Price has to have total confidence in AHLer like Schlemko, Kulak, Mete, Alzner, Ouellet and what not? Get real, things are going both ways.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He looks like trash, and his numbers are just as bad. Same old **** for going on 2 years now.

We're talking since Weber is back and he doesn't look like trash one bit and it's been the general view. He's been good to great in many games, were you watching or you were just hating? You've been silent in the past couple weeks, why is that?

Reactions: BLONG7

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
When goaltender do not have confidence in their D-men, he will play nervous, try to hard, overcommit, etc. This all leads to bad read, i.e., bad goals.

Now you're telling that Kulak or Schlemko don't have confidence in Vezina winner Price.....but Price has to have total confidence in AHLer like Schlemko, Kulak, Mete, Alzner, Ouellet and what not? Get real, things are going both ways.
Not true at all. Plenty of goalies have put up great numbers behind bad defenses, why can't Price? Goaltenders are supposed to be the mentally strong ones who keep the rest of the team focused. Price does none of that. He likes to yell at his Dmen from time to time though.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Not true at all. Plenty of goalies have put up great numbers behind bad defenses, why can't Price? Goaltenders are supposed to be the mentally strong ones who keep the rest of the team focused. Price does none of that. He likes to yell at his Dmen from time to time though.
You can say G.A.A. is a team stat, but save % belongs to the goalie alone. Every goalie sees a variety of shots, it's up to him to stop at least 9 out 0f 10. Price just barely achieves that. Not elite in any way lately.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We're talking since Weber is back and he doesn't look like trash one bit and it's been the general view. He's been good to great in many games, were you watching or you were just hating? You've been silent in the past couple weeks, why is that?
Price had maybe 2 solid games and you were all saying "he's back" lol. He obviously hasn't been good enough to improve on his laughable sv% from last year. And he's a sieve in clutch moments like always. Why does this guy get so much slack from you guys? When Theodore struggled after his big season, he got ran out of town, and fans were calling for his head.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You can say G.A.A. is a team stat, but save % belongs to the goalie alone. Every goalie sees a variety of shots, it's up to him to stop at least 9 out 0f 10. Price just barely achieves that. Not elite in any way lately.
Price was elite for 1 regular season in his entire career.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
We both deserve a fresh start. Time to trade him for a goal scorer, and start over.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There's an interesting article in the Athletic trying to get to the bottom of Price's play and numbers:

The deeper numbers that help explain Carey Price's numbers

To summarize, its because Montreal gives up a lot of royal road pass chances against and Price has really struggled with lateral movement.

The D should probably get a fair amount of blame, but even adding a competent, mobile LHD that can play on the top two pairs isn't going to fix everything.

Price needs to figure out how to clean up his lateral movement and his setting up after lateral movement. I'm sure the injuries he's gotten have effected that, but if he doesn't learn to compensate for it, then Montreal is in serious trouble long term.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Did i say something you din't like?

I mean.. Niemi is not doing any better right now. So, imo, we should stop to blame the goalie all the time. This isn't like last season.

We both deserve a fresh start. Time to trade him for a goal scorer, and start over.

While I agree that I would trade Price away, wouldn't that create another problem?

First. I can't see any teams willing to trade a goalscorer for Price.
Second. Who's going to play goalie for the next few years? Lindgren and Niemi?
Third (and kinda first again). Goalies have poor value, they never get traded for much.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I mean.. Niemi is not doing any better right now. So, imo, we should stop to blame the goalie all the time. This isn't like last season.

While I agree that I would trade Price away, wouldn't that create another problem?

First. I can't see any teams willing to trade a goalscorer for Price.
Second. Who's going to play goalie for the next few years? Lindgren and Niemi?
Third (and kinda first again). Goalies have poor value, they never get traded for much.

You dont understant how the goalie position works.

Halak was drafted 299th or something like that.

What i mean is Goalies come and go.

When a goalie is in his bubble he can do miracles.

The trick is to find the guy that can stay in a bubble for a long period of time.

Price had his moment, now its gone.

We should try to trade for Halak, seriosuly hes sc material that guy.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price had maybe 2 solid games and you were all saying "he's back" lol. He obviously hasn't been good enough to improve on his laughable sv% from last year. And he's a sieve in clutch moments like always. Why does this guy get so much slack from you guys? When Theodore struggled after his big season, he got ran out of town, and fans were calling for his head.

Theodore never had a Vezina vote, let alone multiple top 10 Hart votes outside his one fluke season like Price has had. Go look at Price’s resume comparison when it comes to accomplishments. Go look at the votes. Price has more wins in Montreal at 31 then Theodore did his entire career including 5 teams. The agenda for a small group of fans to turn every goalie we have into Jim Carey is pretty sad.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You have to find yourself once again where you were called the greatest goalie, or its down deep hill for a very very long time.
I don’t know man, I really wonder. As much as it would be great if it happens, I don’t see it and I don’t say that easily.
FYI I don’t feel like having the same old Prician arguments about how do you expect him to stop that, the defence sucks blah blah but even last night he was overcommiting and sliding around on his back and did the belly flop dive on one of the goals. Not that it would’ve made any difference last night but here’s the thing for me: Its the way he often looks when the goals go in and during the game that just doesn’t inspire confidence in me at all. He looks like he’s stressed and trying too hard and it may indeed be largely because our defence sucks but he’s got to try to stay cool and deal with the pressure better. Thats what really separates the good from Hall of Fame goalies. That’s how I see it anyway.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The trick is to find the guy that can stay in a bubble for a long period of time.

I can't take anything you say seriously, after reading this. I am sure, Price is sorry for stealing your girl, and kicking your dog.

Let's just say the most polite thing, I can say right now, is we will agree to disagree.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Some say Price had one elite year and everything else was average. I don't remember if you said something so yourself... but... saying that Halak is SC material is laughable. He's had 2 strong series in one playoffs and that's it. He's never been a guy that can start consecutive games for a long stretch (5 games+). He always had to share his starts with another "1b" goalie. Anyhow, I would agree on your assessment on goalies. Yet, it's crazy hard to find one of those guys. Some teams have been rotating goalies for a long time and they never found their guy yet.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Theodore never had a Vezina vote, let alone multiple top 10 Hart votes outside his one fluke season like Price has had. Go look at Price’s resume comparison when it comes to accomplishments. Go look at the votes. Price has more wins in Montreal at 31 then Theodore did his entire career including 5 teams. The agenda for a small group of fans to turn every goalie we have into Jim Carey is pretty sad.

You're part of the very tiny group of biased peopel who use words to try and make Price look like a Patrick Roy

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Some say Price had one elite year and everything else was average. I don't remember if you said something so yourself... but... saying that Halak is SC material is laughable. He's had 2 strong series in one playoffs and that's it. He's never been a guy that can start consecutive games for a long stretch (5 games+). He always had to share his starts with another "1b" goalie. Anyhow, I would agree on your assessment on goalies. Yet, it's crazy hard to find one of those guys. Some teams have been rotating goalies for a long time and they never found their guy yet.

Halak (468 gp) has 45 shoutouts
Price (585 gp) has 41 shoutouts

Enough said

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Jaroslav Halak also had a great playoffs with the Islanders against Washington in 2015. No way could the Islanders make it to game 7 without Halak’s strong play. He was also on his way to a shutout in his 2nd game of the playoffs when he was playing with the Blues before he got injured. That’s the only sample we had since his epic run in 2010.

Also let’s not forget when he carried Team Europe when nobody expected them to reach the finals.

To say he was only good in 2010 is false.

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Jaroslav Halak also had a great playoffs with the Islanders against Washington in 2015. No way could the Islanders make it to game 7 without Halak’s strong play. He was also on his way to a shutout in his 2nd game of the playoffs when he was playing with the Blues before he got injured. That’s the only sample we had since his epic run in 2010.

Also let’s not forget when he carried Team Europe when nobody expected them to reach the finals.

To say he was only good in 2010 is false.

I thought he had played in the playoffs for Washington a few years back when he was traded over there, my bad. I also thought he played for more than 1 playoffs in St. Louis. The sample would be indeed low enough but I still don't think he'd do much anyway. It may look weird but I don't think he has the stamina to play every game.

Halak (468 gp) has 45 shoutouts
Price (585 gp) has 41 shoutouts

Enough said

Bring me winning percentage if you want to really compare the two and prove your argument that Halak is so much better. Bringing in shoutouts.. lol.. -_-

I could bring the fact that Price has 5 shoutouts in 60 playoffs games while Halak has none in 30. But who cares, honestly?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Halak is as good as the guys in front of him. Ken Hitchcock knows defense and so do the Bruins. Halak was plenty mortal for the Isles, who have a D just as bad or worse than ours.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I thought he had played in the playoffs for Washington a few years back when he was traded over there, my bad. I also thought he played for more than 1 playoffs in St. Louis. The sample would be indeed low enough but I still don't think he'd do much anyway. It may look weird but I don't think he has the stamina to play every game.

Bring me winning percentage if you want to really compare the two and prove your argument that Halak is so much better. Bringing in shoutouts.. lol.. -_-

I could bring the fact that Price has 5 shoutouts in 60 playoffs games while Halak has none in 30. But who cares, honestly?

Shutouts are a pretty solid indication how good a goalie is mentally. Specially when you use it to compare 2 very different goalies. 1 goalie is 5.10 and the other is 6.3.... yet the guy who’s shorter and has played far less games has more SO?? How do you explain that. Forget about the teams they played for, we’re talking about closing the door off completly to the opponent. It’s guys like him that win you sc. Halak will win one no doubt.

Halak can dominate the league with any of the top 12 teams in the league.

Price however if its not team canada forget about it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So the goalie controls the quality of the shots too I suppose?
Sv% is also very team based. Every stat in hockey is influenced by your team. You know why? Because it's a TEAM sport.

I want Price traded as much as anyone. I think he had a rather bad start, but for the better part of a month now he's played pretty well. Not 10.5M well, but he's definitely not been bad.
No need to pretend like he's been worse.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad