Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A lot of it is the attention to detail that is lacking this season. For example, on the first goal, 14-15 Price would have read the deflection and center shifted from his stance into a butterfly block instead of dropping into this wide butterfly with a large gap on his blocker side. On the second one you would never have seen him not hug the post properly so he could cut the pass or if the pass got through he could make shift and make a butterfly save while being square to the shot.
Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. This team just isn't good. It's not Price's or Drouin's fault. The team sucks, there isn't enough talent on it. That's all there is to it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Isn't that cricket?
Cricket is marginally better and if they used a less annoying/obscure vocabulary it would be maybe more popular outside of the Commonwealth countries.

I think hitting a hard ball with a stick could be sped up, is all. Why is there so much time between pitches and between batters? What use is such a big field with so many outfielders? Why is tagging the way it is? The mechanics of the game are not so bad, but how it's played is mind-numbing.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wonder what Carey's save percentage is in 6 games since central Weber return? It was .897% before Weber returned. Just to compare.

Because Price's play went terrible just when Weber was injured opening night last season.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Price is seeing the puck very well right now. I'm not going to say it's all Weber but having the net cleared for half the game certainly helps. Price looked like his old self last night.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
A good goalie is a product of a good defense but I don't think Price's awful stats can be explained away so simply.

It is pretty simple. He played alright for a few weeks to start the season, had a bad week ending with that Buffalo 6-5 OT loss game. The team was in shambles defensively, giving teams whatever they wanted when they were in the Offensive zone, cross crease passes, either option on the 2 on 1, seam passes, you name it habs were letting teams have it. They started trying to tighten up from the fire wagon hockey after the beating from the Devils before Weber came back and have just kept it going since.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A good goalie is a product of a good defense but I don't think Price's awful stats can be explained away so simply.

Even before Weber came back, Julien started to go with guys on D that could make simple plays and not to stupid things in their own end. Price was clearly getting exposed cause it was Petry and a bunch of 3 pairing guys (when Juulsen went down).

4 Games before Weber:
Caps:
Lost 5-4
Devils: Lost 5-2
Sabres: Lost 3-2
Bruins: Lost 3-2

Juulsen played 3 min in that Caps game and then was out. The Habs got smoked in the Caps and Devils game. Then decided to shore up the team D the best they could. Weber comes back and then, the GAA gets even better.

There is a trend here. Price is good but he needs a decent top 4D in front of him. He was clearly getting exposed.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Even before Weber came back, Julien started to go with guys on D that could make simple plays and not to stupid things in their own end. Price was clearly getting exposed cause it was Petry and a bunch of 3 pairing guys (when Juulsen went down).

4 Games before Weber:
Caps:
Lost 5-4

Juulsen played 3 min in that Caps game and then was out. The Habs got smoked in the Caps and Devils game. Then decided to shore up the team D the best they could. Weber comes back and then, the GAA gets even better.

There is a trend here. Price is good but he needs a decent top 4D in front of him. He was clearly getting exposed.

It's also true for Niemi. This isn't like last season when a goalie was posting .920 in save percentage while the other was barely at .900

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Shades of vezina carey were seen yesterday. I'm not his biggest fan (never was really), but this needs time. I know patience is not a popular thing here on HF, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do. Take a chill pill people, things are coming along just fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's also true for Niemi. This isn't like last season when a goalie was posting .920 in save percentage while the other was barely at .900

Last season, Weber played hurt from game 1. And we were missing Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu. We had Alzner, Schlemko, and Benn. Price was playing with an injury (again). It was mess all around.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe not last season - last year he was really inconsistent. Played well in stretches and badly in others.

This season however, I think he's played pretty consistently for most of the year. His numbers suck but he's been behind an awful D. We haven't been bad at giving up a ton of shots but we are still terrible in our own end. That's going to kill any goalie's numbers.

Even with Weber, it's not a very good group but it's a hell of a lot better with him than without. Jordie Benn is an absolutely terrible blueliner and we've been using him on our first pairing. And I don't even know if we can blame the coach for that because there was simply nobody else to use.

Your goalie is there to bail you out when you make mistakes and there are tons of games where they're the most important player on the ice. But they aren't going to be able to help much behind an AHL level D.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Maybe not last season. Last year he was really inconsistent. Played well in stretches and badly in others.

This season however, I think he's played pretty consistently for most of the year. His numbers suck but he's been behind an awful D. We've haven't been bad at giving up a ton of shots but we are still terrible in our own end. That's going to kill any goalie's numbers.

Even with Weber, it's not a very good group but it's a hell of a lot better with him than without. Jordie Benn is an absolutely terrible blueliner and we've been using him on our first pairing. And I don't even know if we can blame the coach for that because there was simply nobody else to use.

Your goalie is there to bail you out when you make mistakes and there are tons of games where they're the most important player on the ice. But they aren't going to be able to help much behind an AHL level D.
Last year affects my doubt and slight mistrust. Price was bad. The defense was bad last year but Price was bad himself too. The defense is marginally better this year so I don't see why that matters. He's gotta be better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Last year affects my doubt and slight mistrust. Price was bad. The defense was bad last year but Price was bad himself too. The defense is marginally better this year so I don't see why that matters. He's gotta be better.
Up until now the D hasn't been any better. It's flat out sucked.

Weber coming back should be a big help. Having Weber in front of you for 25 minutes is a whole lot better than Benn... I'm not even a huge fan of Weber's but that is a world of difference. We'll see but I think Price's numbers should take a bounce going forward.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
It's not just Weber coming back..

It's Kulak stepping up, it's our boys Jordie Benn and Mike Reilly playing less... it's David Schlemko playing less.. it's Victor Mete being sent to the farm... it's Xavier Ouellet being waived.

Those are 6-8th defensemen on good teams, playing as our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th defensemen.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

It's Kulak stepping up, it's our boys Jordie Benn and Mike Reilly playing less... it's David Schlemko playing less.. it's Victor Mete being sent to the farm... it's Xavier Ouellet being waived.

Those are 6-8th defensemen on good teams, playing as our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th defensemen.
It sucks having really bad management and a bad defense with no worthwhile dmen prospects in the AHL doesn't it. 10m on Price, wasted.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Mostly it's our bad blueliners playing less and being removed. That was a God awful group and it still needs a lot of work.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

4 Games before Weber:
Caps:
Lost 5-4

Don't forget that we was REALLY good vs the Caps even if they lost 5-4

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
League average is
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Price is getting there.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I like Price but he's been bad for a season and a half now. It seems that it's kind of going the opposite way now too. His good games get talked up above what they were. I believe in him but he's left a lot to be desired to the past 18 months. Our D is garbage but he hasn't often been a lot of help.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad