Proposal: Carey Price at 9mil (1.5mil Retained) For 2019 1st + Prospect + Salary Cap dump Player(s)

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Well good luck winning a cup with Elliot or Lyon.

All I am saying is put Price with a team that can score more then 1 goal per game and his stats would be amazing.

His 2017 stats were amazing, lost in 6 because Habs scored a total of 10 goals in 6 games.

Carter Hart can be the next Justin Pogge...

You huys have an amazing fwd group and a great young D-core. Price would drasticly improve your odds of winning a Stanley Cup.

But what do I know right? I only watch Price play an average of 60 games since the start of his carreer so I dont know what im talking about.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You guys have a great team right now that is ready to win the Stanley Cup. Sadly my team is just going to piss away an elite goaltender's career because they keep building bad teams to play in front of him, and now it has hit an epic low. I believe Price would thrive in Philly and is the piece you guys could use to put you over the top.

We all know that 10.5 mil is too much for any goalie. But Lundqvist does make 8.5, so Price would have been in his rights to push the bar to 9mil. I know it seems like alot for a goalie, but any team that would have drafted him, Philly included, would have at least gave him that deal after what he has accomplished. Marc Bergevin went overboard and gave him 10.5 because Price is a god in Montreal and Bergevin a half wit.

So what are you guys giving up? A late 1st round pick.. a prospect.. and what ever players you wanna dump salary on us... That's not much for arguably the best goalie in the world. The problem for you guys now is dealing with the lenght of the contract, altough at 30 Price is the same age as Giroux and close to Voracek, Simonds..

I mean, you guys gotta try and go for it don't you? Goaltending seems to be a big issue... Giroux and Voracek are primed to win in the next couple of seasons...

I donno.. what do you guys think, it's never gonna happen but would you do it?

Remember that I'm coming from a very low place here.. I never wanted to trade him, but there is no hope, he has to be set free of this dumpster fire....
You are knocking on the wrong door selling an over priced product.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Price is a good goalie, not a generational goalie.
He's inconsistent, he's had 5 really good seasons and a couple piss poor ones.
Same in the playoffs, a couple lights out years and some meh years.

Skip last season, call it an off season, and look at the previous five:
He ranked 2nd in S%, 14th in xS%, 6th in dS% over that period. [dS% is the difference between actual and expected S%]
Goalies with similar performance: Hammond, Murray, Darling, Holtby, Anderson, Task, Crawford, Lindqvist. Mason wasn't far behind.
In the playoffs, 7th in S%, 1st in xS%, 12th in dS%.

Point is Price is a very good, but not exceptional player.
A top five goalie for his 20s, but his 30s?
His contract is not only overpriced but goes for 8 seasons.
Which means he has to play as well or better in his 30s to justify picking up most (not all) of that contract.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Well that JVR contract will look terrible in 2 years aka Bobby Ryan
Don't get all butt hurt now just because we aren't interested in your overpaid goalie.

You guys are more than welcome to keep him or trade him elsewhere. Also, I think we have a much better understanding as to what our team needs than you do, so you can take your pre-teen comebacks and leave them on the Habs board, thanks.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If they retained 2.5-3.5 per year, it’d become a more interesting decision. I’d take any #1 goalie in a trade if they had less 3-4 years left.

It’s so obvious Montreal needs to blow that roster up, if they do go full rebuild, retaining a lot on Price could bring back much needed pieces.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

He ranked 2nd in S%, 14th in xS%, 6th in dS% over that period. [dS% is the difference between actual and expected S%]
Goalies with similar performance: Hammond, Murray, Darling, Holtby, Anderson, Task, Crawford, Lindqvist. Mason wasn't far behind.

Which means he has to play as well or better in his 30s to justify picking up most (not all) of that contract.
You are not taking into account the badly built teams that rely on him to win, the pressure from the fans, the French media attacking him and his wife. If Price was on a different team all these years his stats would be better. You have to take these factors into consideration.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
You are not taking into account the badly built teams that rely on him to win, the pressure from the fans, the French media attacking him and his wife. If Price was on a different team all these years his stats would be better. You have to take these factors into consideration.
In terms of value in a trade, no we don't.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Don't get all butt hurt now just because we aren't interested in your overpaid goalie.

You guys are more than welcome to keep him or trade him elsewhere. Also, I think we have a much better understanding as to what our team needs than you do, so you can take your pre-teen comebacks and leave them on the Habs board, thanks.

Maybe you are right about your team's need... but all the NHL knows Philly's problem has been in goal since Lindbergh's death or Hextall's rookie season.

I'm just convinced your Flyers are closer to a cup with Price or a real #1 goalie then without one.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well that JVR contract will look terrible in 2 years aka Bobby Ryan

giphy.gif

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

I think you are understating how good Price is and how weak the team around him was. I think he would be a game changer. It would represent Hextall pushing his chips in now. If we added Price and a top defender I think we would be legitimate Cup contenders for the next few years. I think maybe we could craft a deal for Price that would make sense. Wouldn't need Hart, ship out Amac and get $4million retained (not sure if there is a max retained %).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

All I am saying is put Price with a team that can score more then 1 goal per game and his stats would be amazing.

His 2017 stats were amazing, lost in 6 because Habs scored a total of 10 goals in 6 games.

You huys have an amazing fwd group and a great young D-core. Price would drasticly improve your odds of winning a Stanley Cup.

But what do I know right? I only watch Price play an average of 60 games since the start of his carreer so I dont know what im talking about.

The Flyers are not going to be contenders in 18-19 so we aren't expecting to win a Cup with Elliott, Neuvirth or Lyon. The first two only have 1 year left on their contracts and will be gone after that. Lyon is an NHL back-up at best. We will patiently wait out Carter Hart or Felix Sandstrom unless a short term solution presents itself (such as Semyon Varlamov maybe next summer).

Long story short, you are stuck with that terrible contract (and Webers too).

Reactions: Jray42

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Price has ZERO value. In fact, he has negative value. If MTL finds a team willing to take Price...they probably are giving up a 1st not getting one.

So yeah...if it is Price + MTLs 2019 1st (unprotected) for MacDonald + Weise + Elliott....I may consider it...

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
thewall you shouldn't come into a friendly thread that i created on a rival team's boards and spread hostility, you are embarrassing our fanbase. Take the hits, you can't dish them back, this isn't the main boards, stay respectful Habs fans.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you are understating how good Price is and how weak the team around him was. I think he would be a game changer. It would represent Hextall pushing his chips in now. If we added Price and a top defender I think we would be legitimate Cup contenders for the next few years. I think maybe we could craft a deal for Price that would make sense. Wouldn't need Hart, ship out Amac and get $4million retained (not sure if there is a max retained %).

dS% takes that into account since it's the difference between what you'd expect his save percentage to be given the quality of shots (i.e. given the quality of defense and the style of play) and what he actually saves.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Don’t get butt hurt. You came here looking for a discussion

This has absolutely nothing to do with the team Price currently plays behind. It has everything to do with his contract.

It’s as simple as that.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I think Hasek and maybe Brodeur were the only two goalies in recent history worth the kind of contract that Price has.

They were innovators at the position. And they dominated until either they broke down or the league adapted.

A goalie can't really separate themselves from their peers in this NHL. Rules to address Hextall/Brodeur neutered possible value in puck distribution. And, most goalies are big with large pads. The net is sealed off when NHL goalies are square with the puck and down in the butterfly.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
We are absolutely closer to the cup w Price over Elliot. The major issue is it completely upheaves how we approach roster building for the next 8 years. With some proper fixes right now we can compete w the G/V/JVR core that should transition very smoothly to the Patrick/Konecny/Frost core. That becomes impossible with Price. It’s no slight on him from my personal view, it’s just a bad decision for us.

TLDR; with Price our window becomes the next 3 years and then falling off a cliff, without price we could still find success and the window of opportunity is much longer (possibly even perpetual)

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
I love Carter Hart as much as the next flyers fan does, but the fact of the matter is that goalies usually take much longer to develop. What are Flyer's fans honest expectations on when Carter Hart will become an above average starter?

My prediction on Hart:
18-19: Full season in AHL
19-20: Split between AHL and injury call-ups to NHL
20-21: Full time back-up or possible starter depending on who is still here
21-22: Above-Average full time starter

My point being that I think it is going to be a while (as in a few years) before we can expect Carter Hart to be an above-average starter in the NHL. I think it would be in the flyer's best interest to find a decent short-term upgrade over Elliott/Neuvirth. I would rather not waste the next 3 or so years of the team's core waiting for Carter Hart to be ready, and I think it would be beneficial for Hart to not have the added pressure of being the savior goalie immediately once he breaks through to the NHL.

I would be all for Price if it weren't for his contract. Maybe they should look into a guy like Crawford from Chicago?

As a side note, if there was a guaranteed compliance buy-out for the next CBA in 2020, I wonder if Flyers fans would be more open to the Carey Price idea

Reactions: Flyersfan1493

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I would be all for Price if it weren't for his contract. Maybe they should look into a guy like Crawford from Chicago?

As a side note, if there was a guaranteed compliance buy-out for the next CBA in 2020, I wonder if Flyers fans would be more open to the Carey Price idea

If we could trade MacDonald in the deal and get more like $3 million retained, I certainly would be more open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad