Proposal: Carey Price at 9mil (1.5mil Retained) For 2019 1st + Prospect + Salary Cap dump Player(s)

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Lord we would actually be contenders with him tho. Unfortunately we would be current-Chicago by year 3/4

Reactions: Morinisbear

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In 5 -8ish years...

So if you buy him out after 5 years you are then paying him for another 6 (3 remaining + 3 extra) years.

Not to mention how hideous it would be to pay $9 million for a goalie that isnt even top 5 in the league over the next 5 years plus his 6 year buyout payout.

Its an immovable contract.

Last edited:

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Remember, we also get to dump salary. They can free us of an Amac salary....softens the blow of Price.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Team in front of him was ****. He's a hell of a lot better than anything we have right now. I'm sick of the **** we put in net. It's always settling for mediocrity.

Even a bad team shouldn't be an excuse for a .900 save percentage. That's trash.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yeah but with the Hextall model i have faith that we can win multiple cups, remain competitive, and retool on the fly. I don’t want to say I’m a Hextall fan boy, but i believe he will be the GM to solve the cap world, and be the guy who figures out how to remain competitive in the cap world perpetually.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You say that, but that .900 save percentage last season sure doesn't inspire hope moving forward
It doesn't, but look at the team in front of him, and the French media with the personal attacks, Montreal has become a negative organization under Bergevin and Molson. Price is much better than his numbers last season.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
It doesn't, but look at the team in front of him, and the French media with the personal attacks, Montreal has become a negative organization under Bergevin and Molson. Price is much better than his numbers last season.
Also take a look a Holtby's stats this year.....he just won the cup. The stats dont always tell the whole story.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Even a bad team shouldn't be an excuse for a .900 save percentage. That's trash.
Not just a bad team, he and his wife were harassed by the French media making up stories, some hideous stuff, and then Bergevin destroying the team. Last year was mental for Carey, he is still human, he can't be cool and calm under pressure 100% of the time.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Habs would need to retain a lot more salary to make this palatable (like half, which there's nonway MTL does it). He'll be 31 years old to start the season on an 8 year deal and is coming off probably the worst season of his career. The Flyers aren't in need of a salary dump either. There only real albatross contracts are Lehtera and AMac and they're almost done. Price is an awesome goalie but there's just too much at stake with that contract.

And this has nothing to do with our glut of high end goalie prospects. If the contract was at 50% I'd be interested because even years from now I think Price will good, problem is I think (hope) one of our guys will be better so with the huge deal he has I don't think they can risk it.

Reactions: Rebels57

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Remember, we also get to dump salary. They can free us of an Amac salary....softens the blow of Price.
But not for long. The problem is term. If we had a narrow window of 2-4 years then you do it, but we have a much longer window thankfully due to getting lucky with Patrick and getting frost. I thought about his earlier today actually but it doesn’t make enough sense. At this point, the thing that makes the most sense is to get a very good goalie that wants a 2 year deal.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Habs would need to retain a lot more salary to make this palatable (like half, which there's nonway MTL does it). He'll be 31 years old to start the season on an 8 year deal and is coming off probably the worst season of his career. The Flyers aren't in need of a salary dump either. There only real albatross contracts are Lehtera and AMac and they're almost done. Price is an awesome goalie but there's just too much at stake with that contract.

And this has nothing to do with our glut of high end goalie prospects. If the contract was at 50% I'd be interested because even years from now I think Price will good, problem is I think (hope) one of our guys will be better so with the huge deal he has I don't think they can risk it.
50% gets you Price at 5.25 million, not realistic, i understand your fears, if i was a Philly fan i would take Price in a minute, but it's because i know the player so well, you guys don't know him.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
But not for long. The problem is term. If we had a narrow window of 2-4 years then you do it, but we have a much longer window thankfully due to getting lucky with Patrick and getting frost. I thought about his earlier today actually but it doesn’t make enough sense. At this point, the thing that makes the most sense is to get a very good goalie that wants a 2 year deal.
Luongo still has two years in my opinion...

Reactions: kelmitchell

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
50% gets you Price at 5.25 million, not realistic, i understand your fears, if i was a Philly fan i would take Price in a minute, but it's because i know the player so well, you guys don't know him.
I know him pretty well and would. His glove hand is the only flaw and has gotten better throughout the years. I do understand the length (and term) being an issue for my fellow fans but I think the difference is that I'm fine with 3 or 4 years with a chance and then starting over. They are not and I can understand that side as well.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad