Proposal: Carey Price at 9mil (1.5mil Retained) For 2019 1st + Prospect + Salary Cap dump Player(s)

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You guys have a great team right now that is ready to win the Stanley Cup. Sadly my team is just going to piss away an elite goaltender's career because they keep building bad teams to play in front of him, and now it has hit an epic low. I believe Price would thrive in Philly and is the piece you guys could use to put you over the top.

We all know that 10.5 mil is too much for any goalie. But Lundqvist does make 8.5, so Price would have been in his rights to push the bar to 9mil. I know it seems like alot for a goalie, but any team that would have drafted him, Philly included, would have at least gave him that deal after what he has accomplished. Marc Bergevin went overboard and gave him 10.5 because Price is a god in Montreal and Bergevin a half wit.

So what are you guys giving up? A late 1st round pick.. a prospect.. and what ever players you wanna dump salary on us... That's not much for arguably the best goalie in the world. The problem for you guys now is dealing with the lenght of the contract, altough at 30 Price is the same age as Giroux and close to Voracek, Simonds..

I mean, you guys gotta try and go for it don't you? Goaltending seems to be a big issue... Giroux and Voracek are primed to win in the next couple of seasons...

I donno.. what do you guys think, it's never gonna happen but would you do it?

Remember that I'm coming from a very low place here.. I never wanted to trade him, but there is no hope, he has to be set free of this dumpster fire....

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Too much risk on the Flyers part. No team is going to give up something for him right now. I think Montreal is better off hoping he performs better next year. If his play gets better, then Montreal could get a decent return.

Reactions: Pantokrator

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Goalies are like pitchers, pay them upfront but don't invest on a long-term deal.
We have Hart and Sandstrom in the wings, Lyon (11 games, .944 S%) who dominated the AHL playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're primed for the next decade, we just had 8 1st rd picks the last five years including Provorov and Patrick, plus a top 25 prospect (Button) in Myers who we signed as a FA, and Lindblom (5th rd) at 20 who was the top forward in the SHL. Our old guys include Couterier (25) and Ghost (24). In three years, Giroux, Voracek and JVR will be supporting players.

We're loaded for bear.

No, you can't have our GM.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Understood, just thought maybe some of you would like a proven goaltender that could win right now while you guys are primed.

I don't blame you for asking, and we would "make sense" insofar as it's possible to make trading him to any team make sense, but that contract is just killer. I mean, we could probably swing it, actually, especially if we knew the cap was for sure going to go up at the pace it has been, but we have just gotten out of cap hell, and we finally have gotten on track to be an organization that drafts and develops instead of chasing our tails with high-profile free agents. This would run us right off course as far as that goes. You do have my sympathies vis a vis Bergevin - he's a massive Gong Show.

Reactions: Rebels57

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
No interest in that contract. No offense to Price but there isn’t a single goalie worth the contracts that he & Lundqvist got.
That's the way i see it too, but GMs don't see it that way, Price would have got 9mil from any team that drafted him. It just seemed to me like you guys should be trying to win right now, and have been needing a better goalie for a long time now. Relying on unproven rookies to lead you to the cup while your window is getting smaller might not be the best way to go, you guys are not the Penguins, and might not have the horses to beat out a Tampa or Washington... Elite proven NHL goaltending might be Philly's best bet to try and win right now.

* By window i mean Giroux and Voracek, in my mind you guys need to win a cup right now with those 2, not "we're primed for the next decade" like deadhead said.

We'll never know anyways because this deal is fictional and won't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmvvpp

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
\ Elite proven NHL goaltending might be Philly's best bet to try and win right now.

We'll never know anyways because this deal is fictional and won't happen.

Is that really the perception, that we have to try and win now while Giroux and Voracek are still playing at a high level?
I guess if you don't follow a team closely, you don't get a feel for what they're doing - we've been rebuilding for four seasons, just haven't tanked doing so.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Is that really the perception, that we have to try and win now while Giroux and Voracek are still playing at a high level?
I guess if you don't follow a team closely, you don't get a feel for what they're doing - we've been rebuilding for four seasons, just haven't tanked doing so.
It was my perception yes. Sounds great and promissing for you guys. I just saw this team as needing an edge in goaltending to have a chance at beating out the bigger dogs, Pitsburgh, Tampa, Washington.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It was my perception yes. Sounds great and promissing for you guys. I just saw this team as needing an edge in goaltending to have a chance at beating out the bigger dogs, Pitsburgh, Tampa, Washington.

Would love Price. Perfect mentor for Carter Hart and would give us an elite goalie the next few years until Hart is ready. Problem is...that contract. Not even the AAV as much as the Term. Even if takes 4 years for Hart to be an elite goalie, there would be still be more 4 years on that massive Price contract. Just a hilariously bad contract.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Call me crazy (or whatever choice words that you want) but I would do this deal from a Philly perspective (depending on the prospect). 9 is better than 10.5. His only issue is that glove hand but it has improved and he has some great years to come!

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thats fine, coulda been worse. I'd take a number one to bring Carter Hart in at 9 mil. Buy his ass out once Carter learns from him and proves his worth. That tandem is hard to say no to in my opinion.

Buy him out when? It would double his remaining term whenever that is.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Call me crazy (or whatever choice words that you want) but I would do this deal from a Philly perspective (depending on the prospect). 9 is better than 10.5. His only issue is that glove hand but it has improved and he has some great years to come!

Crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad