Proposal: Carey Price at 9mil (1.5mil Retained) For 2019 1st + Prospect + Salary Cap dump Player(s)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are two groups of goalies, those who started from 20-23, some were PO ready immediately (Holtby, Murray, MAF), others needed 2-3 years
Then there are the guys who bounced around the AHL, then backed up a couple years before finally getting a chance to start
Hart will be 21 in 2019-20, so there's a good chance if he has a good year in the AHL he'll start or share starting duties with Lyon in 2019-20.

Ages when top goalies (top active S%) started 40+ games:
Rask (22): .931/.912 (PO), next season posted a .940 in the playoffs
Bob (22): .915/.877
Luongo (21): .920
Holtby (24): .915 - but started 14 PO games at age 22, .935
Lundqvist (23): .922
Price (20): .920/.902 (didn't shine in the PO until he was 23)
Quick (23) - (didn't shine in the PO until he was 26)
MAF (21) - .933 PO at 22
Murray (22) - but .923 in the PO at 21, .937 at 22

Schneider (27)
Crawford (26)
Rinne (26)
Bishop (27)
Talbot (28)
Anderson (25)
Dubnyk (25)
Halak (24)

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Well good luck winning a cup with Elliot or Lyon.

All I am saying is put Price with a team that can score more then 1 goal per game and his stats would be amazing.

His 2017 stats were amazing, lost in 6 because Habs scored a total of 10 goals in 6 games.

Carter Hart can be the next Justin Pogge...

You huys have an amazing fwd group and a great young D-core. Price would drasticly improve your odds of winning a Stanley Cup.

But what do I know right? I only watch Price play an average of 60 games since the start of his carreer so I dont know what im talking about.

Well if you watch that many Habs games. Not that much about building a contender.

Micdrop.gif

Reactions: Rebels57

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
It’s also probably a bit of defending a player you know is good. The thing is, if you separate price from his contract he is a good player. But you can’t do that. It sort of reminds me of luongo when he came out saying he regretted signing the contract he did. Price got himself stuck in MTL bc he didn’t wanna turn down an outrageous payday

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s also probably a bit of defending a player you know is good. The thing is, if you separate price from his contract he is a good player. But you can’t do that. It sort of reminds me of luongo when he came out saying he regretted signing the contract he did. Price got himself stuck in MTL bc he didn’t wanna turn down an outrageous payday

Hes probably totally fine knowing he is going to make $84 million over the next 8 years.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yeah but at a certain point he might look back and say “ive made enough, i would’ve left 20m on the table if it meant my career had more of a legacy.” I don’t know though. Everyone is different.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah but at a certain point he might look back and say “ive made enough, i would’ve left 20m on the table if it meant my career had more of a legacy.” I don’t know though. Everyone is different.

Theres a chance Montreal turns it around and competes for a Cup in under 5 years, assuming Bergevin is jettisoned. If they land Jack Hughes next spring its a different story.

Reactions: mdm815

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Did Cory price get some bad injuries or was it just the freakish ones that had people harping on Couts that he is too brittle?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Thats
Theres a chance Montreal turns it around and competes for a Cup in under 5 years, assuming Bergevin is jettisoned. If they land Jack Hughes next spring its a different story.
Gonna be pretty hard. They had a quick turnaround after they drafted Galchenyuk, but that kinda overlapped with patches getting healthy, price and pk breaking out and that was in a league with much less parity. I feel like they are gonna be f***ed for pretty long time. Not that I'm not enjoying every second of it.

Reactions: mdm815

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Let me add....... "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But we can trade you AMac....since Weber is out( and the Habs were stupid to trade PK for him in the first place).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Even with Price we are not primed to win. Defense and the bottom 6 are still issues.

Bottom 6 is a 3C away from being good again, and Frost may already be that 3C right now.

Lindblom - _________ - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Aube-Kubel/Weal

Defense is one Phil Myers promotion from being good too.

Goaltending and coaching are my only concerns.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Bottom 6 is a 3C away from being good again, and Frost may already be that 3C right now.

Lindblom - _________ - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Aube-Kubel/Weal

Defense is one Phil Myers promotion from being good too.

Goaltending and coaching are my only concerns.

Myers will perhaps be a callup but won’t start the season with the big club and even then will need time to adjust

Will Sanheim progress into the 2 way guy they want him to be?

Frost will be back in Juniors in my opinion leaving 3C a huge question mark? Laughton? If him then who is the 4C?

Will Simmonds be around? If he’s dealt who is the 3RW?

Still way to many question marks to make a move for a guy like Price. Especially on the backend and bottom 6. Rather stay the course and start contending in 2/3 years as planned.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Price isn't a savior, it's nice to blame his team, but great goalies carry teams, not the other way around.
And if he's only a good goalie, well, you can always trade for one in a couple years, a good young goalie will probably cost a late 1st and a 2nd tier prospect.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers will perhaps be a callup but won’t start the season with the big club and even then will need time to adjust

Will Sanheim progress into the 2 way guy they want him to be?

Frost will be back in Juniors in my opinion leaving 3C a huge question mark? Laughton? If him then who is the 4C?

Will Simmonds be around? If he’s dealt who is the 3RW?

Still way to many question marks to make a move for a guy like Price. Especially on the backend and bottom 6. Rather stay the course and start contending in 2/3 years as planned.

Dont get me wrong, I am 110% anti-trading for Price.

Reactions: pmwlker

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Price isn't a savior, it's nice to blame his team, but great goalies carry teams, not the other way around.
And if he's only a good goalie, well, you can always trade for one in a couple years, a good young goalie will probably cost a late 1st and a 2nd tier prospect.

go check the 2015 Hart, Lindsay and Vezina trophy winner ... that's what he did and the year before and the year before lol

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
No team has a need for a goalie making 9+ million against the cap for that long. Maybe prime Hasek or Brodeur, even then you could make a case either way

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The teams that had top goalies like those guys back the day could pay them & all the HoFers/all-stars in front of them too with no salary cap in place.

In the salary cap era regardless of how good the goalie is they’re just not worth the big money & long term that guys like Price & Lundqvist got.

In a league where most GM’s aren’t very good at managing the cap & allocating their money/cap even they kind of understand this making the goalie market more realistic in perceived value compared to the positional players.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers do need a upgrade in goal it is just not worth it to trade for that contract.
It is a what have you done for me lately league. Price hasn’t done enough in recent memory to warrant trading for that contract even with some retained

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
go check the 2015 Hart, Lindsay and Vezina trophy winner ... that's what he did and the year before and the year before lol

Unfortunately, we're talking the 2018-19, 2019-20 . . . 2025-26 seasons. :sarcasm:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The teams that had top goalies like those guys back the day could pay them & all the HoFers/all-stars in front of them too with no salary cap in place.

In the salary cap era regardless of how good the goalie is they’re just not worth the big money & long term that guys like Price & Lundqvist got.

In a league where most GM’s aren’t very good at managing the cap & allocating their money/cap even they kind of understand this making the goalie market more realistic in perceived value compared to the positional players.

Didn't Hasek have almost 10 straight seasons matching or exceeding the success in net that Price had in his Hart/Vezina season? I think that's worth top dollar. Then there's Brodeur, who was essentially a 3rd defenseman on ice for 60 minutes. He was excellent in net, averaging over 70 games played for ~13 years, with some 90+
seasons mixed in.

Both players had on ice value that goalies today are incapable of matching either due to rules changes or much more depth at the position.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
People who are downplaying his current stats are just being naysayers. He's a great goalie.

If he was signed @6m for 5 seasons this would be a totally different discussion. IMO, its the term not really even the AAV that is the issue.

Reactions: Morinisbear

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't Hasek have almost 10 straight seasons matching or exceeding the success in net that Price had in his Hart/Vezina season? I think that's worth top dollar. Then there's Brodeur, who was essentially a 3rd defenseman on ice for 60 minutes. He was excellent in net, averaging over 70 games played for ~13 years, with some 90+
seasons mixed in.

Both players had on ice value that goalies today are incapable of matching either due to rules changes or much more depth at the position.

Things have changed so much in the way goalies play & are deployed since then. Those guys were above sized goalies back then too as to where today they just be average.

There was more separation between the gaps of tiers between goalies back then compared to now. It was more high scoring & starting goalies played a lot more while backups played a lot less.

So yeah guys like Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, etc. had more value back then compared to top guys today. But still the cap plays a factor in it too. No salary cap & you could sustain a contending window a lot longer which helped all those guys in the quality of teams they played for.

Lundqvist’s career honestly mirrors a lot of Hasek’s but I doubt he’s going to be able to jump to a team like the Red Wings at the end to finally get his ring.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Things have changed so much in the way goalies play & are deployed since then. Those guys were above sized goalies back then too as to where today they just be average.

There was more separation between the gaps of tiers between goalies back then compared to now. It was more high scoring & starting goalies played a lot more while backups played a lot less.

So yeah guys like Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, etc. had more value back then compared to top guys today. But still the cap plays a factor in it too. No salary cap & you could sustain a contending window a lot longer which helped all those guys in the quality of teams they played for.

Yeah, that's what I meant to get at. Both players changed the position, therefore, depth at goalie wasn't nearly as good until new players skilled in the more effective style began entering the league.

Agreed on the bolded, though given the depth issue at goalie, Hasek and Brodeur were among the most valuable players in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad