Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't think Carey CAN play better. Not by much, anyway. There is a reason and a problem. They need to figure it out.

I'm not a Carey-hater. I fully agree he was a cut above the rest of the goalie universe for about a three year period. But if he is not well, he won't be able to snap his fingers and perform better, just because some fans are pist at his contract.

MB, on the other hand, is still the IdiotGM. Just months after Carey's first big slide, the one that got Therrien finally fired, and just weeks after his being outperformed in the playoffs, the IdiotGM signed Price to an 8-year contract extension for almost max money. The stupidity is mind-boggling, but it is not Carey's fault.

horrible contract. Was arguing before it was given that no way Price should get more than 9 and that was a stretch. Would of let him walk rather than pay him that.

But the contract is done. Its up to Price to play up to it or not to. When MB is fired that isn't going to absolve Price of having to play up to his contract.

At this point I would take him playing up to Rinne or Anderssons contract forget his contract. He isn't even playing as a 5 Million goalie let alone a 10.5 one.

And if he doesn't return to form the team is screwed because Pedestal Price can't be pulled from games, can't be replaced by a younger goalie, etc... If this was any other goalie the team would be looking for someone to step up and do the job. Since its Price even if someone else came in and won 10 games with a .999 sv% and .10 GAA we would still try to get Price back into form.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well at least this year we can score. And for once that doesn't appear to be a fluke. Domi is turning out to be a really good player and Gallagher has suddenly reached another level.

With most teams this would not be noteworthy. But I agree , Gally has been good and Domi is a nice surprise.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
horrible contract. Was arguing before it was given that no way Price should get more than 9 and that was a stretch. Would of let him walk rather than pay him that.

But the contract is done. Its up to Price to play up to it or not to. When MB is fired that isn't going to absolve Price of having to play up to his contract.

At this point I would take him playing up to Rinne or Anderssons contract forget his contract. He isn't even playing as a 5 Million goalie let alone a 10.5 one.

And if he doesn't return to form the team is screwed because Pedestal Price can't be pulled from games, can't be replaced by a younger goalie, etc... If this was any other goalie the team would be looking for someone to step up and do the job. Since its Price even if someone else came in and won 10 games with a .999 sv% and .10 GAA we would still try to get Price back into form.
Of course he can be pulled from games. It's just not going to help us to do so...

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Nobody plays better because the pay check says he should.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think people underrate a lot the presence of Andrei Markov in the life of Carey Price.

Yes Markov was a really good defencemen but along the years we heard a lot of stories of him making the rookie goalie accountable.

two example :

Price was playing really a year and the Habs were in a losing streak. Price allowed a bad goal in ot I remember. And in a hard exchange Markov said to Price that he was bad and that there was a reason for it.

Price : "Do you think I don't want to stop the puck ? I care too you know"

Markov : "You don't work like you want to stop it."

I think it was the year Halak stole Carey's spot. The next year Carey came in with a work ethic he never had before.

------

The other example was explained by Martin McGuire :

Price was in the best of his career and he was kind of a *****e and looked like he was above of it all.

Markov went to him and told him that he'll prove him that he is not as good as he thinks.

There was a breakaway drill or a shooting drill I don't remember. Markov had 4 pucks. Price did not stop any.

McGuire said that Price's attitude change after that incident too. That was the year of the Kreider hit.

-----

An other thing is that maybe... just maybe. : Subban's out of this world attitude with a lot of energy was the exact thing that Price needed to spark his slow attitude and make him the goalie he was at the time.

Price's best season were with Markov and Subban in front of him.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!!!

Reactions: PaulD

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You consulted doctors about prices condition? Where the **** am I?
Correct, I asked people whom I know, who happen to be doctors, and they both said the same thing: many possible causes, can't speculate on which is the right one. Which is honest since they have not run any tests, other than the eye-test.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Once again... the contract is irrelevant. It would only matter if we were a contending team and it was preventing us from getting better players. That's not the case here. The fact is that we've got a crappy team and nobody wants to come here right now. That's why we had something like 9 mil in cap space last season...

It might hurt us in four years from now but even then the cap will be significantly higher than it is now and that 10 mil won't hurt as much. People can bitch about the contract all they want but it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sure . But he did not play that way against Boston. Nobody was on here hanging him after that game. Price will bounce back or he wont.

But you have to play him so he can play his way out of it. He is never going to duplicate his 015 season....and the team cant win in the play offs if he does not. But the show must go on and he is your number one goalie....I have never seen a guy get out of a rut watching the back up from the bench.

Habs are not a contender.................even less so without the Carey Price of 015.

Im still hoping for a new GM. So Careys uncharacteristic play bothers me little.

Actually he did play the same way against Boston, and in a few others of his better games in the past year. He has had a problem with this right side for over a year, close to two. It doesn't mean that every game there will be goals because of it.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think people underrate a lot the presence of Andrei Markov in the life of Carey Price.

Yes Markov was a really good defencemen but along the years we heard a lot of stories of him making the rookie goalie accountable.

two example :

Price was playing really a year and the Habs were in a losing streak. Price allowed a bad goal in ot I remember. And in a hard exchange Markov said to Price that he was bad and that there was a reason for it.

Price : "Do you think I don't want to stop the puck ? I care too you know"

Markov : "You don't work like you want to stop it."

I think it was the year Halak stole Carey's spot. The next year Carey came in with a work ethic he never had before.

------

The other example was explained by Martin McGuire :

Price was in the best of his career and he was kind of a *****e and looked like he was above of it all.

Markov went to him and told him that he'll prove him that he is not as good as he thinks.

There was a breakaway drill or a shooting drill I don't remember. Markov had 4 pucks. Price did not stop any.

McGuire said that Price's attitude change after that incident too. That was the year of the Kreider hit.

-----

An other thing is that maybe... just maybe. : Subban's out of this world attitude with a lot of energy was the exact thing that Price needed to spark his slow attitude and make him the goalie he was at the time.

Must say I enjoyed this post.

You may have a point.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Actually he did play the same way against Boston, and in a few others of his better games in the past year. He has had a problem with this right side for over a year, close to two. It doesn't mean that every game there will be goals because of it.
He was great against Boston.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll just address this point,

Why would that be surprising? Right now he's got regular shifts with guys like Jordie Benn out there and he's an absolutely terrible blueliner. Of course his numbers are going to be better behind a better D.

Even with Markov/Subban though, our team still sucked bad in 2014 and 2015. We had da system, Bouillion, Murray... we gave up tons of scoring chances and relied on Price to a ridiculous extent. Yeah, we had a great first pairing but we still weren't a good hockey team overall. We misused players and played bad systems. Now the systems are better but the talent on the backend is brutal. You go from Subban to Petry with a really bad supporting cast... Of course it's going to affect the numbers.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is. However, several posters can back me up when I say that I said so at the time.

@Lafleurs Guy
@TooLegitToQuit
@WeThreeKings

Investing that much money into a goaltender is just foolish, even if he were giving us a 0.920 performance. We just happened to roll snake eyes.

Very curious to see what Bob gets. $9M AAV max? And he is as good or better than Price when you look in the past.

Regardless, I've moved passed the fact Price is $2M overpaid. It's not good for our team or Price to dwell on it. What's done is done. Bergevin caved and gave him what he wanted to avoid any further distractions (Losing Markov, Radulov, and walking into the season with UFA Pending Price).

I just hope it don't turn into another Roy situation. We liquidate him (retain salary in his case) and he goes on to winning cups with another team while we look like idiots.

Habs need to improve the team D or Price and the Habs are in for a rough ride with this contract. His confidence is shattered and he is well aware of the Hero or Zero mentality in Montreal.

Year 1/8! Brutal

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'll just address this point,

Why would that be surprising? Right now he's got regular shifts with Jordie Benn out there and he's absolutely terrible. Of course his numbers are going to be better behind a better D.

Even with Markov/Subban though, our team still sucked bad in 2014 and 2015. We had da system, Bouillion, Murray... we gave up tons of scoring chances and relied on Price to a ridiculous extent. Yeah, we had a great first pairing but we still weren't a good hockey team overall. We misused players and played bad systems. Now the systems are better but the talent on the backend is brutal. You go from Subban to Petry with a really bad supporting cast... Of course it's going to affect the numbers.
Price has always made a point of never throwing his Dmen under the bus...and has always taken his lumps when needed, like last night, but no one can deny our D has been a mess because of MB tearing it down ( because he is clueless )

Markov/Subban/Emelin/Beaulieu/Sergachev all gone over a two year period...this is bad guys, and of course it plays a part of what has gone down...Price still needs to get his game back quickly, but no denying our D is a mess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Carey Price was the best goalie in the league one single regular season. Let's be real here...
Yeah in earlier posts I said one of the best goalies in the world his vezina trophy winning season was sandwiched in between a 4th place finish, his injury season (when he was still elite), and another 4th place finish. That's 4 years in a row of being one of, if not the best goalie in the world, over the four years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Carey Price was the best goalie in the league one single regular season. Let's be real here...
Yes, let's be real.

He put up multiple Vezina caliber seasons and was widely considered (justifiably so) the best goalie in the world. You don't have to actually win an award for it to be an award caliber season. On any given year some of his seasons would've been good enough for a Vezina.

He had one other worldly season, that's true. But he wasn't a one trick pony the way some like to portray him.

Want to bash him now? Fine, go ahead. But people keep trying to re-litigate his history and they're out to lunch on that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes, let's be real.

He put up multiple Vezina caliber seasons and was widely considered (justifiably so) the best goalie in the world. You don't have to actually win an award for it to be an award caliber season. On any given year some of his seasons would've been good enough for a Vezina.

He had one other worldly season, that's true. But he wasn't a one trick pony the way some like to portray him.

Want to bash him now? Fine, go ahead. But people keep trying to re-litigate his history and they're out to lunch on that.

I'm not bashing the guy. He isn't healthy, it's obvious. Some of the things people are saying about him are outright cruel.

Reactions: Guy Larose

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Well in sports you have to live up to your contract. If you sign a big one the expectation is that you will earn your money. Alzner is paid 5+ Million and he sucks and deserves to have his play being held against his salary. No one would say LOLAlzner if he was playing as well has his salary.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Price has always made a point of never throwing his Dmen under the bus...and has always taken his lumps when needed, like last night, but no one can deny our D has been a mess because of MB tearing it down ( because he is clueless )

Markov/Subban/Emelin/Beaulieu/Sergachev all gone over a two year period...this is bad guys, and of course it plays a part of what has gone down...Price still needs to get his game back quickly, but no denying our D is a mess.

Emelin & Markov can't get NHL jobs. Beaulieu is a healthy scratch most nights. Subban is a beast and Sergachev looks good, but is only playing 16 minutes a night... I'm not sure you used the best examples to prove your point ;)

Reactions: teamfirst

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Well in sports you have to live up to your contract. If you sign a big one the expectation is that you will earn your money. Alzner is paid 5+ Million and he sucks and deserves to have his play being held against his salary. No one would say LOLAlzner if he was playing as well has his salary.
I disagree. If you make 5M or 800k, you will still get shat on for costing the game.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Once again... the contract is irrelevant. It would only matter if we were a contending team and it was preventing us from getting better players. That's not the case here. The fact is that we've got a crappy team and nobody wants to come here right now. That's why we had something like 9 mil in cap space last season...

It might hurt us in four years from now but even then the cap will be significantly higher than it is now and that 10 mil won't hurt as much. People can ***** about the contract all they want but it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Actually the contract does matter, not for cap reasons though. First off he is paid that huge amount, well in sports you expect a return on your investment. Price is not living up to his contract. It goes for every player in sports. Birsebois was booed out of this city because of his contract. LOLAlzner exsist because of his contract. Dustin Brown was persona non gratta in LA and then the following year he was a key player. Why, because he actually lived up to his contract for that one year.

Also since Price is a goalie and you can only carry 2 of em his contract matters. This means that we can't simply put another player in his spot like with a Gomez. At least with Gomez if he sucked we could put him on the 4th line, you can't bury Price. Maybe Lindgre/McNiven could step up as young goalies and become decent starters, but with Prices 10.5 we can't do that. Even if another goalie stepped in the team is always going to want to get a ROI on Prices 10.5 and try to get him going.

If Price was earning 6 or less it wouldn't be so hard to try something different out. But since Pedestal Price has this huge contract the team is stuck trying to salvage value out of it. Imagine we make him the back up or even worse send him to the AHL that kills his entire value.

Its a rock and a hard place due to that contract. Can't not play because he loses value, but if we play him the team isn't getting the goaltending it needs.

And yes that contract is 100% on MB, he never should of given it out. Said it before it was signed in the old Price threads. But the contract is done so now its on Price to live up to it. He took the big money deal everyone would do it, but that money wasn't free, it comes with strings. Those strings is an insane fanbase and media that will crap on him if he isn't living up to his 10.5 Million dollar price tag.

Reactions: bsl

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
But if your GM signs you to a huge deal and then guts the team it's also on him. Sorry, but it's brain dead stupid how MB has run this team.

Ya he killed this team
Andrew Shaw sign is awful
Carey Price sign is just..... garbage
Weber will be playing hockey until what 42? lol
Alzner already a 8th D-man after a season
close to 28m a year for those 4 only.

Easy to blame Price because he is terrible but Bergevin have no idea how to build a team.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Luongos cap hit was just a touch over 50% of what prices currently is, and Vancouver had to retain 800k to get rid of it.

Let that sink in

In fairness Frank, that contract was signed in 2010. Luongo also had Renaissance after the trade.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In fairness Frank, that contract was signed in 2010. Luongo also had Renaissance after the trade.
I know, just thought that comment would enhance the mood of the thread.

Guy had an excellent career and is still pretty decent.

Would have been a better fit in Edmonton than Kyle timbit

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad