Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Was an outlier, they happen. Price has stunk for close to two years and he was never the only reason we were winning games. Those who believed that are out to lunch.
Well one day we may be as knowledgeable as you. And instead of drawing on my decades of watching and playing hockey.....I will check with you before i come to a conclusion when watching a star player have an MVP season. The players who voted for him should have called you as well. :sarcasm:

Hey i am already on record as saying Price peaked and is on a decline. The Habs wasted his Hasek like years and the players in front of him barely won a round while he was the best player in the league. It was obvious and common knowledge at the time. Revisionist or not...you are dead wrong.

Reactions: groovejuice

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's not really throwing him under the bus, he's just being honest. It lets Price step back and take a breath. And if you are stuck with him for 8 years, you don't exactly want to throw him back to the wolves right after his worst performance in recent memory.
yes you do.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He certainly appears to be fragile, he might be worn out and in need of a fresh start somewhere else but his contract is in the way. I can't help but think of Luongo right now.

Carey Price has had a problem with the right side of his body for about 22 months. I started posting about it around November 2017. People thought I was making it up.

It's true. Carey is frustrated because his body won't do what his head wants. It happens to a lot of people who are ill or injured.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well one day we may be as knowledgeable as you. And instead of drawing on my decades of watching and playing hockey.....I will check with you before i come to a conclusion when watching a star player have an MVP season. The players who voted for him should have called you as well. :sarcasm:

Hey i am already on record as saying Price peaked and is on a decline. The Habs wasted his Hasek like years and the players in front of him barely won a round while he was the best player in the league. It was obvious and common knowledge at the time. Revisionist or not...you are dead wrong.

It's all good, give me a shout next time and I'll set you straight :sarcasm:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
:laugh:

Hall, Holtby, Pasternac......am i wrong on all those guys too?

lol, k we're getting off track here. I think Price was definitely an elite goalie at one time, but he was never a one man show. No player can do it on his own, Gretzky/Lemieux/Sid couldn't do it alone and certainly Carey Price didn't do it either. All I was saying was that it was tiring hearing about how it was all Price when it jsut wasn't true. Just like blaming him for everything wrong now with the club wouldn't be fair, but he needs to get better or he will never finish that contract in this league.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Always defended Carey but tonight its mostly all on him.......
Not a goalie in history where you can make that statement after a game.

Price gets it harder because whether they like to admit it or not.....every single Habs fan out there knows this much ....

If Carey is not fantastic.....this collection of Canadiens aint winning shit.

Some of us have been saying that loud and clearly for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
lol, k we're getting off track here. I think Price was definitely an elite goalie at one time, but he was never a one man show. No player can do it on his own, Gretzky/Lemieux/Sid couldn't do it alone and certainly Carey Price didn't do it either. All I was saying was that it was tiring hearing about how it was all Price when it jsut wasn't true. Just like blaming him for everything wrong now with the club wouldn't be fair, but he needs to get better or he will never finish that contract in this league.
Agree with you there.

But if not for his stellar play from 014-17 this team would have had 5 lottery picks in a row. Out side the crease they were fully capable and deserving of that.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
lots of goalies have had 1 good year (example steve mason, andrew raycroft, vesa toskala, byrzgalov, etc...) im asking for examples of goalies that have had 3 in a row - as the best in the world, and then fell off a cliff. I can't think of any.

Carey Price was the best goalie in the league one single regular season. Let's be real here...

Reactions: DAChampion

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Carey Price has had a problem with the right side of his body for about 22 months. I started posting about it around November 2017. People thought I was making it up.

It's true. Carey is frustrated because his body won't do what his head wants. It happens to a lot of people who are ill or injured.
Why do you think it is with the right side of his body? I must not have read your post so could you give me the shortened version?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Agree with you there.

But if not for his stellar play from 014-17 this team would have had 5 lottery picks in a row.

Dunno if I agree with that, but a case can definitely be made, who would have thought Price would put up .900 Sv % and Niemi would put up a .929%? The team was horrible last year, perhaps the worse it's been in several years and a netminder on the verge of being out of the league entirely put up a 929%, albeit over a small sample size. I jsut think the difference between bad goaltending and pretty good goaltending isn't all that much and we tend overstate the importance either good or bad. Niemi will likely never put up a 929% again and it's highly unlikely he would have sustained it last year over a larger sample, but this was a guy who was basically done in this league altogether, imo we always overstate the goaltending on the habs, good or bad.

I hope Price returns to form, because he won't make it through a couple seasons here if he keeps it up.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Dunno if I agree with that, but a case can definitely be made, who would have thought Price would put up .900 Sv % and Niemi would put up a .929%? The team was horrible last year, perhaps the worse it's been in several years and a netminder on the verge of being out of the league entirely put up a 929%, albeit over a small sample size. I jsut think the difference between bad goaltending and pretty good goaltending isn't all that much and we tend overstate the importance either good or bad. Niemi will likely never put up a 929% again and it's highly unlikely he would have sustained it last year over a larger sample, but this was a guy who was basically done in this league altogether, imo we always overstate the goaltending on the habs, good or bad.

I hope Price returns to form, because he won't make it through a couple seasons here if he keeps it up.
The difference between good goaltending and bad goaltending is not that much. Thats true I think.

and for a few seasons Price blew that out of the water.

Hence, discussions like this.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The team and Therrien's poor coaching I think actually helped Price's numbers. Team wasn't nearly as bad as let on. Doesn't hurt having a Norris trophy winning dman and another number 1 dman on the ice for 25 to 50 minutes depending on whether they played together or not. Without them, he sucks, this idea that he carried the team is mostly a fabrication made up by the media in Toronto who would do anything to discredit the Habs. PK Subban was always our most important player and Markov wasn't far behind, but bozo the clown couldn't wait to unload them both.

LOL, good to know half this board is made up of Toronto Media. The idea that Price carried this team is preached on this board for the last 6 years. It won't be hard to find posts saying this team is a bottom 5 team with out Price, that all the wins are 100% on Price, that Price saved MB/MT's bacon. And this was during the time when the team was finishing 2nd in NHL, going to ECF, 100 point seasons, winning divisions.

Its great that the revisionist come out now to pretend that it wasn't argued adnausem on here that Price is the entire team and responsible for every single win this team has had over the last 6 years.

I guess since Price isn't playing well we can pretend now that all of a sudden it was a team game and that Price was benefiting from having a decent team in front of him. I am sure we aren't too far off from people saying that MT's system benefited Price LOL.

Reactions: PaulD

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
LOL, good to know half this board is made up of Toronto Media. The idea that Price carried this team is preached on this board for the last 6 years. It won't be hard to find posts saying this team is a bottom 5 team with out Price, that all the wins are 100% on Price, that Price saved MB/MT's bacon. And this was during the time when the team was finishing 2nd in NHL, going to ECF, 100 point seasons, winning divisions.

Its great that the revisionist come out now to pretend that it wasn't argued adnausem on here that Price is the entire team and responsible for every single win this team has had over the last 6 years.

I guess since Price isn't playing well we can pretend now that all of a sudden it was a team game and that Price was benefiting from having a decent team in front of him. I am sure we aren't too far off from people saying that MT's system benefited Price LOL.

I'm not arguing it wasn't stated here only that I never agreed with it. Try to keep up, there are several posters on here with a variety of opinions. I did and do think MT's system inflated his numbers, doesn't mean I liked him as a coach.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

How right you are ! :laugh:

Revisionists climbing over the wall like zombies on this one.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not arguing it wasn't stated here only that I never agreed with it. Try to keep up, there are several posters on here with a variety of opinions.

I am agreeing with you. It's a team game and Price is as good as the team in front of him. And sometimes he is actually worse than the team in front of him.

He played well and peaked in 2015, but he wasn't doing that without PK/Markov, Pleks and Max. And even MT as well who played a system to protect Price as much as possible. MT got a Vezna with Theo and then with Price. Not saying he is 100% to be given credit but he had to low talent Montreal teams produce Vezna winners, and then both Vezna winners dropped off.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't think there is a point in complaining about Price anymore.

Its up to him to play better. No elite talent worth their salt is going to sit there and blame the players around them. They are elite for a reason.

Its a shame that due to his name and salary we are going to have to play this game of the next game he will turn it around forever. I think he wasn't pulled last night because its Price and we don't want to upset him or make the situation look bad.

For once we actually have some offensive punch and now we have a goalie who can't stop a beach ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad