Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He hasn't been good so far this year either imo. Throw the numbers out the door, even though they're not good either, he doesn't look like the same goalie to me. The numbers don't mean anything at this stage anyway, a couple good games in a row will jump those numbers up. I have some reservations about his play.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well I always read that "Oh a 2-5 million dollar goalie can replace Price" when lots of the other top goalies have been worse. So how else can you prove your point without comparing to other goalies?

He's the highest paid goalie in the league

No one is happy when a guy like Patrick Kane scores 60 points, no one is happy when Ovechkin scores 30 goals.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Niemi is better.not sure what careys problem is .i just dont see the elite compete level in him.he s too relaxed.and the his numbers reflect that.

How is Niemi better? Because he played some good games last season?

*sigh*

Quick reminder that Lindgren has worse stats in the AHL for 2 seasons straight and that Holtby, 2016 Vezina winner, also has trouble stopping a shot

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
How is Niemi better? Because he played some good games last season?

*sigh*

Quick reminder that Lindgren has worse stats in the AHL for 2 seasons straight and that Holtby, 2016 Vezina winner, also has trouble stopping a shot
As of right now one of these 2 lets a softie in every game.can u guess who? I love price but damn something just doesnt look right with him.its early but im confident he ll find his game.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
As of right now one of these 2 lets a softie in every game.can u guess who? I love price but damn something just doesnt look right with him.its early but im confident he ll find his game.

Niemi is allowing more goals/game and has worse save % this season

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
There are many nights, PK is not worth every penny...most night he is, but there are many he is not...include Toews, Giroux, Malkin etc

If Price had just 1 good season, during the darkest year for the Habs, how is he about to tie Roy for the second most wins? How is he 26 away from Jacques Plante? He has had a ton of good seasons, and the rest of the league know, the Habs are Carey Price...he has been the only real star player we have had for years...

Here the way you write it, it makes it sound like PK is playing 1 game out of 2 when its actually 9/10. I dont think theres any other NHL hockey player who has been more consitant than PK.

The team went to the toilets after he left.

And I would argue that he was the main reason why Carey got such a dominant year in 2014. No PK no honey.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here the way you write it, it makes it sound like PK is playing 1 game out of 2 when its actually 9/10. I dont think theres any other NHL hockey player who has been more consitant than PK.

And I would argue that he was the main reason why Carey got such a dominant year in 2014. No PK no honey.
PK is a great player, most nights!! He is a high risk, high reward type of Dman...absolutely love the guy. His mistakes don't always end up in the back of the net...........Price's do...food for thought.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I think part of the issue with Price is the current huge difference between his salary and the rest of the league... the difference in cap hit between he and Hellebuyck, who is in the first year of a 6 year deal is about 4.5 million annual and Hellebuyck is the 6th highest paid goalie in the league. The difference between PK and the 6th highest paid Dman is 1.5 million. The difference between McDavid, in the top spot, and Eichel 6th is 2.5 million. The difference between McDavid and the 20th spot is 4.5 million - the difference between PK and the 20th spot is only 3 million. Is Price almost 6 million a year better than Bishop, he's better but I don't think he is over twice his salary better and Bishop is the 18th highest paid goalie.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think part of the issue with Price is the current huge difference between his salary and the rest of the league... the difference in cap hit between he and Hellebuyck, who is in the first year of a 6 year deal is about 4.5 million annual and Hellebuyck is the 6th highest paid goalie in the league. The difference between PK and the 6th highest paid Dman is 1.5 million. The difference between McDavid, in the top spot, and Eichel 6th is 2.5 million. The difference between McDavid and the 20th spot is 4.5 million - the difference between PK and the 20th spot is only 3 million. Is Price almost 6 million a year better than Bishop, he's better but I don't think he is over twice his salary better and Bishop is the 18th highest paid goalie.
Price getting the deal he got, is a credit to his performance, and his agents performance.....and MB saying for 3-4 years, that Price is the best goalie and he is the team and so on.............another dud of a performance by our clown GM.
They had no choice but to give Price's agent, whatever he asked for...........and when guys go this high in their earnings, the sad part is, their performance rarely matches the compensation....

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I could not care less about how much he makes. We all know he is grossly overpaid. At this stage I would be happy with .920 / top 15 play but I am starting to doubt he is even capable of that type of consistency anymore

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Price getting the deal he got, is a credit to his performance, and his agents performance.....and MB saying for 3-4 years, that Price is the best goalie and he is the team and so on.............another dud of a performance by our clown GM.
They had no choice but to give Price's agent, whatever he asked for...........and when guys go this high in their earnings, the sad part is, their performance rarely matches the compensation....

Or its an inside job between mb and careys agent to increase prices value as much as possible. Everyone got a piece of the pie.

70 mils up front sounds sketchy af and completly unecessairy as a neg tactic.

I wont be surprised its something like that we’ve seen worst in sports specially in europe where things are a bit more transparant.

You refuse to give Radulove 7.5 mils and low ball PK but Price with one season he deserves the moon and a massive overpayment? Give me a kit-kat.

And this is not a conspiracy theory. Its simple deduction.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I want one game where Price just stops everything, even mediocre goalies have hot nights. Havn't seen Price steal a game in a while, he has been fine for most games this year but with his pedigree and salary you can't blame the fans for wanting more...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

You can argue it all you want, you'd still be wrong. Just as wrong in fact as all those posters who dumped on PK the very next year when the team went in the toilet after Price went down.

You are no different then they are.

You are also disengenius. Price was a Vezina nominee the year after Subban left. The following year we lost Weber. That meant an AHL D in front of him - just like PK had a weak goalie behind him... it's not a surprise that you're going to wind up getting killed either way.
I want one game where Price just stops everything, even mediocre goalies have hot nights. Havn't seen Price steal a game in a while, he has been fine for most games this year but with his pedigree and salary you can't blame the fans for wanting more...
How many games has he had to steal? He played a pretty great game in game one against the Leafs but for the most part the team seems to have played well. I've watched highlights only for most games and Price seems to have been pretty solid so far. Bad game against Ottawa but has been mostly pretty good this year. And the team seems to have played reasonably well in front of him which is pretty amazing considering the roster we've got. Benching Alzner seems to have been a pretty good move this year.

It's early days but he seems to have been alright. The numbers don't mean much right now. Take or add a goal right now and the save percentage jumps or falls something like 7 points.
I’m sure a deal could be made with Edmonton. They’re desperate for a big change, Price could stabilize their back end.
Price still has value and we should deal him. He'd be a good fit in Edmonton.

Even if we kept him and he sucked though, that contract doesn't really matter to us. We aren't close to the cap right now and we won't be contending anytime soon. It could hurt us in five+ years but only if we manage to build some kind of contending team... and I'll believe that when I see it.

Right now both he and Weber are better used as trading chips. We're wasting their years here. Let them go and help other teams while we rebuild. They aren't going to win anything with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur and Peanut

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
You can argue it all you want, you'd still be wrong. Just as wrong in fact as all those posters who dumped on PK the very next year when the team went in the toilet after Price went down.

You are no different then they are.

How many games has he had to steal? He played a pretty great game in game one against the Leafs but for the most part the team seems to have played well. I've watched highlights only for most games and Price seems to have been pretty solid so far. Bad game against Ottawa but has been mostly pretty good this year. And the team seems to have played reasonably well in front of him which is pretty amazing considering the roster we've got. Benching Alzner seems to have been a pretty good move this year.

Price still has value and we should deal him. He'd be a good fit in Edmonton.

Even if we kept him and he sucked though, that contract doesn't really matter to us. We aren't close to the cap right now and we won't be contending anytime soon. It could hurt us in five+ years but only if we manage to build some kind of contending team... and I'll believe that when I see it.

Right now both he and Weber are better used as trading chips. We're wasting their years here. Let them go and help other teams while we rebuild. They aren't going to win anything with us.

I wont take any critisism from a guy who denies any bad perfomance from Price. Being able to look your self in the mirror is a healthy thing.

It's also quite obvious you don't even like Price. So please lets move on with that matter otherwise we'll be turning in circles for months.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wont take any critisism from a guy who denies any bad perfomance from Price. Being able to look your self in the mirror is a healthy thing.
I just said he played poorly in Ottawa...

Stop coming in with disengenius arguments. You say it was mostly PK and ignore the fact that he was a Vezina nominee with Weber. You also ignore that the following year we didn't just lose Subban we lost him AND Weber and had to rely on guys like Jamie Benn... who had another shitty game tonight.

It was the same with PK. We were invincible that season until Price got hurt and then we collapsed. He was in front of a rough goalie but all of his critics said he was nothing without Price. They were as out to lunch as you are. You're no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I just said he played poorly in Ottawa...

Don't take this wrong way but.. No kidding sherlock.

Stop coming in with disengenius arguments. You say it was mostly PK and ignore the fact that he was a Vezina nominee with Weber. You also ignore that the following year we didn't just lose Subban we lost him AND Weber and had to rely on guys like Jamie Benn... who had another ****ty game tonight.

It was the same with PK. We were invincible that season until Price got hurt and then we collapsed. He was in front of a rough goalie but all of his critics said he was nothing without Price. They were as out to lunch as you are. You're no different.

How I'm I out of lunch? I have said Carey Price sucks since forever, how many cups does he have? whats his win% in the stanley cup playoffs? He won 1 second round in 11 seasons.

Oh but I get it you don't wanna talk about his playoff perfomances, it doesn't fit your bill i'm i right?

In total he had 5 good seasons out of 11. That's just above average

On average Carey could possiblybe the worst number 1 goalie we ever had since i dont even know when.

Why? Because this is mtl and in MTL its all about the cups, if you cant win in the playoffs you're hurting the franchise.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The salary is just BS talking point.
Everyone pretty much agrees he's paid too much. I personally hate the deal and wanted him traded. I still want him moved.
That said, I dont care about his contract. That's not what dictates his play. If Price was getting paid 2M, it wouldn't be okay for him to play like an inconsistent back up.
What matters is how he performs relative to his peers. He should be one of the best in the NHL. Circumstances are the determining factor in how much your contract is.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't take this wrong way but.. No kidding sherlock.
You come in after I've written that he played poorly in Ottawa and say I can't acknowledge when he doesn't play well. I point this out to you and you come back with this?

Dude...
How I'm I out of lunch? I have said Carey Price sucks since forever, how many cups does he have?
The same amount that Subban does.

You are out to lunch because you're just as guilty as Subban's detractors were. You;ve been obsessed with this guy ever since he beat out Halak for the job. Yes, you've been saying he sucks forever.... that's another reason why you're out to lunch.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I think for the Habs to be successful, we need solid goaltending from Price and that's what we got last night, he didn't face many shots and he made the saves we needed him to. I think we have to come to terms with the fact we many never see the Price of 2013 to 15 again, we will hopefully get the Price represented by his career numbers... 2.46 GAA and .918 SV%. He's played well over 550 games now and he's on the downward side of his career, but I think he has a lot left in the tank. It's complete fiction that goaltenders peak later, but we are entering a time in the NHL with a lot more older goaltenders than we've seem for many years - there are actually 13 goaltenders over 33 in the league this year, many playing meaning full minutes. To put that in perspective over the last 10 years or so, only about 3 goalies over 33 have play 50 games in a given year, some years that number is zero - coming into this season, I think 8 or 9 teams counted on their 33 plus goalie to make about 50 starts...Ward, Fleury, Crawford, Anderson, Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith and Howard... I'm not sure if the plan would be for Roberto to go 50 or not but he's inquired now anyway,s... this makes me feel slightly better about Price's contract, but when we do that same calculation with goalies over 35, it does not look good, not many goalies in that age group make 40 starts a year, but 7 years from now maybe the going rate for a backup will be 10 million.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The salary is just BS talking point.
Everyone pretty much agrees he's paid too much. I personally hate the deal and wanted him traded. I still want him moved.
That said, I dont care about his contract. That's not what dictates his play. If Price was getting paid 2M, it wouldn't be okay for him to play like an inconsistent back up.
What matters is how he performs relative to his peers. He should be one of the best in the NHL. Circumstances are the determining factor in how much your contract is.
The salary isn't going to matter until this team is actually good enough for it to matter. Right now we're not even a cap team.

Totally agree we should move him. We should eat a huge amount of his deal for the next few years and take on other bad contracts as well. Move Weber and then do the same with him. We have cap space and should use it to our advantage.

Cap space is a valuable commodity for contending teams. We can help them with this and get prospects in return. Take on bad deals now and get burnt on the cap for the next three to four years. After that we hopefully have a good enough team that we can start to actually worry about the cap ourselves.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PK is a great player, most nights!! He is a high risk, high reward type of Dman...absolutely love the guy. His mistakes don't always end up in the back of the net...........Price's do...food for thought.

Good Point! The thing I value in a top goalie is their ability to limit soft goals. Make the other team beat you with a good shot or good play. When a goalie allows a soft goal, it can kill team momentum cause the other team gets back into the game easily and it boost their confidence.

I think Price is better this year but so is our entire team. They go hand and hand but Price and the contract he forced on us means the expectations are higher. That's what happens when you are paid like one of the best in the game. Forget about highest paid goalie, he is the 3rd highest paid player in the league!

Reactions: BLONG7

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Price is playing fine. I was afraid that last year was going to get in his head and maybe it has a little but I expect to see something closer to the old Price by half way through the season given that he appears to be straightening himself out.
That said, is it me or is he handling the puck a lot less and less effectively than he once did?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Good Point! The thing I value in a top goalie is their ability to limit soft goals. Make the other team beat you with a good shot or good play. When a goalie allows a soft goal, it can kill team momentum cause the other team gets back into the game easily and it boost their confidence.

I think Price is better this year but so is our entire team. They go hand and hand but Price and the contract he forced on us means the expectations are higher. That's what happens when you are paid like one of the best in the game. Forget about highest paid goalie, he is the 3rd highest paid player in the league!

How do you know he "forced"the contract on the team? Jesus christ he was signed on July 2nd a day after he could sign and you think he forced the team into it. He held out a whole day from when he could sign, f***ing guy forced it.

Man this thread is all kinds of stupid. 2 soft goals a game according to some, absolutely Pejorative Slured. Hes given up 2 bad goals all year, the LA kings first goal and the second Sens goal, that's it so save yourself 200 posts about the same soft goal shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad