Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just come on in bro, the Price bandwagon is on a sinking ship. I won't let you go with it. You're too important for this site. You deserve better than this.

He had a great run in 2014, he had a few respectable seasons but its over.
:)
Man, you are too funny. :laugh:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
We had something like 8 or 9 mil in open cap last year, it didn't mean squat. Nobody wanted to come here.

And cap space wasn't an issue for Tavares either, he wasn't coming here no matter what. If he would've been willing then we'd have found the cash.
The club took a dump on Subban and they expected to sign his good buddy? There's consequences for what they did and players wont want to come to Montreal if they feel like the GM and owner are weasels. Tavares was never going to Montreal when he could get the money he wants anywhere.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The club took a dump on Subban and they expected to sign his good buddy? There's consequences for what they did and players wont want to come to Montreal if they feel like the GM and owner are weasels. Tavares was never going to Montreal when he could get the money he wants anywhere.
Why would a guy like JT come here? The team is in shambles and he can get paid anywhere. What would be the point of coming to a place like this where the media is so intense and the team has such a bad make up. Look at our D right now, it's a f***ing joke.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
We had something like 8 or 9 mil in open cap last year, it didn't mean squat. Nobody wanted to come here.

And cap space wasn't an issue for Tavares either, he wasn't coming here no matter what. If he would've been willing then we'd have found the cash.

Yeah I agree LG. I suppose I was thinking something along these lines with respect to having more capspace then we already had. Scenario below :

A) UFA looks at habs, they have 9 million, but I could get 11-12 on the open market. Therefore I will not consider them as even an option because they dont have enough, and suck anyways
b) UFA looks at habs, they have 15 million. Agent states they are desperate and may pay that much for you which is well above what you'd get on open market. Player then decides either to go to a cup contender(they believe) or lets hit the cash money with dumb dumb marc, get paid and drift on habs for 15 million.

Of course I agree with you that JT and Statsney didn't even consider us because we suck and Marcs a POS.... but ya never know, we may have gotten a chance as unlikely as I think it is..

To say an extra 5$ million isn't relevent.. had we a goalie for a cap hit of 5.5 instead of 10.5 .. well its mildly relevent?

Schrodinger's cap.. matters and yet it doesn't(or didn't?)

that what I was thinking anyways :dunce:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Why would a guy like JT come here? The team is in shambles and he can get paid anywhere. What would be the point of coming to a place like this where the media is so intense and the team has such a bad make up. Look at our D right now, it's a ****ing joke.

Any yet nobody could shut up about Tavares last year. Anyone who remembers the world juniors, knows Subban and Tavares were good friends. I'm pretty sure Tavares would have nothing to do with this club as long as there were decent offers elsewhere. It also happens that Toronto...who plays better and happens to be his hometown wanted him...so what were fans and media thinking when they thought he would come here.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah I agree LG. I suppose I was thinking something along these lines with respect to having more capspace then we already had. Scenario below :

A) UFA looks at habs, they have 9 million, but I could get 11-12 on the open market. Therefore I will not consider them as even an option because they dont have enough, and suck anyways
b) UFA looks at habs, they have 15 million. Agent states they are desperate and may pay that much for you which is well above what you'd get on open market. Player then decides either to go to a cup contender(they believe) or lets hit the cash money with dumb dumb marc, get paid and drift on habs for 15 million.

Of course I agree with you that JT and Statsney didn't even consider us because we suck and Marcs a POS.... but ya never know, we may have gotten a chance as unlikely as I think it is..

To say an extra 5$ million isn't relevent.. had we a goalie for a cap hit of 5.5 instead of 10.5 .. well its mildly relevent?

Schrodinger's cap.. matters and yet it doesn't(or didn't?)
that what I was thinking anyways :dunce:
I think cap space is always good to have but with the state of the team right now we have to be realistic about a big star coming here. As it is, this won't happen.

But we can still use it to our advantage. We can take on bad contracts, eat deals of players we move, leverage this to get picks/prospects. That's what we should be doing now.
Any yet nobody could shut up about Tavares last year. Anyone who remembers the world juniors, knows Subban and Tavares were good friends. I'm pretty sure Tavares would have nothing to do with this club as long as there were decent offers elsewhere. It also happens that Toronto...who plays better and happens to be his hometown wanted him...so what were fans and media thinking when they thought he would come here.
I'm actually really surprised he didn't stay in NY.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
.so what were fans and media thinking when they thought he would come here.

I never for one minute thought JT would sign here, no reason he would choose here over Toronto,

Think about it this way, if Mario lemieux in his prime had the choice between signing in Montreal or Toronto, and Montreal already had a better team even without him, where do you think he would choose to sign?....no way he would go to the leafs

Reactions: BLONG7

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I never for one minute thought JT would sign here, no reason he would choose here over Toronto,

Think about it this way, if Mario lemieux in his prime had the choice between signing in Montreal or Toronto, and Montreal already had a better team even without him, where do you think he would choose to sign?....no way he would go to the leafs
I thought it was clear that Tavares had earned his right to leave that dump of a hell hole franchise and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to come to Montreal when other teams who treat their players better would have paid the same.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Why would a guy like JT come here? The team is in shambles and he can get paid anywhere. What would be the point of coming to a place like this where the media is so intense and the team has such a bad make up. Look at our D right now, it's a ****ing joke.

I think the point is that Bergevin provided additional reasons to not sign in Montreal. It's not like Tavares was the only UFA in recent years to shun the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The cap rising by $4.5M in one off season opened up the window to too many teams. Add that Tavares is a Ontario boy and our chances were slim. I was all for trying to get Tavares but my plan started with winning the draft lottery and getting Dahlin and we were one of the very few teams that could offer him $14M. It was always a stretch but the idea was fun to entertain.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I think cap space is always good to have but with the state of the team right now we have to be realistic about a big star coming here. As it is, this won't happen.

But we can still use it to our advantage. We can take on bad contracts, eat deals of players we move, leverage this to get picks/prospects. That's what we should be doing now.

I'm actually really surprised he didn't stay in NY.

Agreed. 100% we should be grabbed all those awful contracts from real contenders for their top prospects and #1 picks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A little bit of trolling I suppose but with all this fanfare for Price being the #2 all time in Canadiens wins, I'd like to point out that he's been #1 all time in Canadiens losses for quite some time.
Price has been the #1 goalie for the Habs, during their darkest era...................Patrick Roy and his career 910 sv % would not do as well with the team we have cheered for the last 10 seasons. It's a sad story where Price has really had to carry the load during his career, while guys like Subban have been traded away.

We have to give credit where credit is due. Price has been good during his career, all the while the Habs have pretty much sucked, during the same time...........

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Not true . Alzner signed a +- 5m$ contract with the Habs . :sarcasm:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
"Price and his agent took us to the cleaners"

In negotiations there is something known as leverage. If one side has more leverage than the other, they are in an advantageous negotiation position and will likely come out closer to their target than the other party.

Greedy Carey Price and his dastardly agent (likely former KGB) knew the following:
1) The Habs had no replacement for Price in the NHL or as a prospect
2) The Habs are a "goalie-oriented" team, as in they rely on their goalie to win games (or "steal games") more than expected
3) The Habs are a demonstrably sunk ship without Price
4) The Habs had their greatest success with Price (and greatest failures without Price)
5) The Habs had cap-space
6) The Habs themselves stated repeatedly that free agents do not want to sign in Montréal
7) The Habs GM needed a big win after his many failures with big names at the time
8) The Habs couldn't trade Price because he had a NMC or NTC, so they risked losing him as a UFA if they didn't come to an agreement
9) The NHL has several teams willing to pay roughly the same amount for Carey Price were he to reach UFA

It was a perfect storm of leverage. The Habs stated they would prioritise re-signing Price, they openly stated their team is nothing without him, they proved that the team is nothing without him during the first collapse when they couldn't even score goals with Price gone, and they had absolutely no replacement or pressure on him from inside or outside. Heck, Price even know that the Habs couldn't orient toward an offense-first system because they didn't even have a single 60 point player! The Habs aren't a contender with Price but they're pretty much rock bottom without him. He and his agent knew that.

Price waltzed into those negotiations without a care in the world, he probably could've squeezed the Habs for more money actually but he settled on a buyout-proof, lockout-proof, mega deal without giving up much in return. It's about leverage. The best way an organization can mitigate getting squeezed is to have leverage in return - but this is a Habs team that gave Alzner 4.625m for five years and traded for a player with a 7.85m cap hit until he's 42.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Atta boy Carey! 2nd all time and shutout on the stinky Bs to do it!
"Price and his agent took us to the cleaners"
He really didn't. He's a superstar player and he got paid what I thought he would. It's not like he couldn't have gotten that somewhere else.

You can say "but he's a goalie" all you want, he'd been the best goalie in the league going into those negotiations. You have to pay your stars or they leave. It's as simple as that. Now maybe he'll suck for the rest of his contract the same way Wade Redden did... but you can't predict that. It can happen with any player. The bottom line is that he'd been ultra consistent though and that's what made him so valuable. It's not a popular opinion on these boards but paying him that cash was the right thing to do and people should be fine with it.

The mistake we made was in signing him and then letting key players walk. THAT made no sense.

Last edited:

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
Price was fantastic , his anticipation and cat like movements were vintage like. Had tons of high quality glove saves throughout the game that he made while looking calm and collective. Price is definelty back to form. Good for him and the habs:yo::clap:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Atta boy Carey! 2nd all time and shutout on the stinky Bs to do it!

He really didn't. He's a superstar player and he got paid what I thought he would. It's not like he couldn't have gotten that somewhere else.

You can say "but he's a goalie" all you want, he'd been the best goalie in the league going into those negotiations. You have to pay your stars or they leave. It's as simple as that. Now maybe he'll suck for the rest of his contract the same way Wade Redden did... but you can't predict that. It can happen with any player. The bottom line is that he'd been ultra consistent though and that's what made him so valuable. It's not a popular opinion on these boards but paying him that cash was the right thing to do and people should be fine with it.

The mistake we made was in signing him and then letting key players walk. THAT made no sense.
I was responding to that claim. You read the rest of my commentary, I assume?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
One game doesn’t make a seaso. It is a good sign that he can still play like that, but let’s see him string a bunch of these wins together before claiming he is back. I sure hope that hw is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad