Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I'm probably the biggest Carey Price fan you could find, but I have to say that those two preseason games he played doesn't inspire much trust for me.

He was good in the first game and made some solid saves, way better than what we've seen last year. And tonight he isn't playing bad either, overall has been alright against the leafs after two periods.

The problem that I have with him is that he looks small im the net. Never have I seen him look so small and he seems to move too much in the net. Left, right, left, up, down and on. You look at Andersen or other goalies they don't move that much.

He looks like he has more energy and that off-season was good for him, but he need to save that energy. When he was at the too he wasn't moving that much, well more composed, played smarter hockey.

I feel that he isn't that confident but he is trying to "fake it till he make it" kind of thing. Because a couple of years ago you knew that when Carey was on nothing could go through him and nothing would phase him off his game. He was just too dominant, looked way bigger and moved less.

Hopefully he's able to gain more confidence while the season advance, but really it's a shame to have seen such a dominant peak from him and not being able to see more.

Now it's only preseason, but I feel he needs to watch videos of how he used to be in the net. Even with the puck he seems more shaky a bit.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm probably the biggest Carey Price fan you could find, but I have to say that those two preseason games he played doesn't inspire much trust for me.

Hopefully he's able to gain more confidence while the season advance, but really it's a shame to have seen such a dominant peak from him and not being able to see more.

Now it's only preseason, but I feel he needs to watch videos of how he used to be in the net. Even with the puck he seems more shaky a bit.
For now, we have to believe that. I'm also a little worried, but I do hold out hope.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I get that he was once one of the best goalies in the world, but even then a goalie can't carry a team to the cup on his own (goalies making half his salary can out play him by simply being on a better team) and no goalie should take up that much cap space IMO. All I can do is hope that he requests a trade in a couple years when he's getting older and wants a cup run, and we'll have to retain a ton of dead cap space for years. That contract is the worst, because it makes him almost un movable, and Price is good enough to keep us middle of the pack. Not likely many top draft picks in the next couple years, and not likely any serious playoff run. Gunna be a long 8 years if we can't move him.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
$15 million for this season

For 60 starts that would work out to $250k per game.

At 16 starts, that would be more gross salary then Guy Lafleur made in his entire 17 year career.

If he doesn`t play well it will be a long season for him because he`s sure to hear it from the fans.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Price wasn't really tested in Pittsburgh. He's probably not too happy about that goal he gave up but it was a bang bang play.

Against Toronto, he was just beat by major league shooters, but also made a couple excellent saves moving laterally.

I still don't know what to expect from him, but I like how the guys are acknowledging each other after brilliant plays. Price is right there too, which is not always typical of goalies.

Reactions: Fixxer

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
NHL.com player poll: Toughest goalie on breakaway

Price is the best goalie on breakaway voted by nhl players.

"He's good at reading your game and I think he's really, really smart," Malkin said. "The last few years, I think he's the best goalie in the League. He's good at everything. He's the best goalie."
Malkin is not on HF boards, so what does he know?? lol

Habs fans eat their young, and their goalies....have never understood why? Price has put up some big numbers for the Habs, during the worst era from the organization.

He will surpass Roy very soon for wins, and Plante possibly later this season, if not next for sure...and again, all the while the Habs as an organization have sucked...go figure.

Reactions: habdynasty

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
NHL.com player poll: Toughest goalie on breakaway

Price is the best goalie on breakaway voted by nhl players.

"He's good at reading your game and I think he's really, really smart," Malkin said. "The last few years, I think he's the best goalie in the League. He's good at everything. He's the best goalie."

So his peers generally recognize him constantly in these type of polls as one of the toughest goalies on the planet in a variety of scenarios, an the best hockey minds / coaches / scouts / executives on the planet consistently pick him to be the number one goalie whenever there is a world junior, championships or Olympics and have chosen him to represent us nationally against the best players on the planet since he was a teenager.

Yet, an absurdly large contingent of fans feel he is a washed up, overpaid sieve who contributes nothing more to the team than a waiver wire pickup could for a fraction of the cost, who is also statistically no better than Cristobal Huet or Jaroslav Halak.

11-gavin.w700.h700.jpg

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So his peers generally recognize him constantly in these type of polls as one of the toughest goalies on the planet in a variety of scenarios, an the best hockey minds / coaches / scouts / executives on the planet consistently pick him to be the number one goalie whenever there is a world junior, championships or Olympics and have chosen him to represent us nationally against the best players on the planet since he was a teenager.

Yet, an absurdly large contingent of fans feel he is a washed up, overpaid sieve who contributes nothing more to the team than a waiver wire pickup could for a fraction of the cost, who is also statistically no better than Cristobal Huet or Jaroslav Halak.

11-gavin.w700.h700.jpg
You sleep through last season?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It picked up a ton of steam after the contract extension, which was predictable though. It hadn't been this bad since 09/10ish.

Carey also didnt do himself any favours last year with his play.
True.......he came down to his teams level...sad at the time....but we picked up Koko, so let's see what happens this year. Price needs to rebound big time.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

11-gavin.w700.h700.jpg

If you go at Audi they will tell you Audi’s are the best cars in the world.

If you go at Mercedes they will tell you Mercedes are the best cars in the world and that audi are basicly VW with an audi logo.

If you go online you will find out that many people find both cars are overpriced but Mercedes gives the best overall interior/exterior design and perfomance.

The NHL is just like audi or mercedes. The dealers all work together with the manufacturer to push the brand up. and if the manufacturer has a product to display the dealers will all tell you the same script they were told to tell you.

To really know the truth you have to ask thr peeps that have driven the cars and also test it by your self.

Hockey players, Gms, cosches they all work for the NHL and if they were told to push a player up they have no choice.

Personally i LOVED Carey Price when he was young he showed alot of potential. I thought he would become a Buggatti for us.
I was so wrong

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
It picked up a ton of steam after the contract extension, which was predictable though. It hadn't been this bad since 09/10ish.

Carey also didnt do himself any favours last year with his play.

It really started when they lost againts the rangers. JC right away questioned if they should commit to a guy like that for so much money and so many years.

We all knew what would happen.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It really started when they lost againts the rangers. JC right away questioned if they should commit to a guy like that for so much money and so many years.

We all knew what would happen.
JC knows something Malkin doesn't? lol

He did have a tough season last year, but he is about to set records for the Habs and surpass Roy and Plante, with terrible teams out in front of him for years....how is it even possible? When he has fallen back, we see just how terrible a hockey team we have...

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
JC knows something Malkin doesn't? lol

He did have a tough season last year, but he is about to set records for the Habs and surpass Roy and Plante, with terrible teams out in front of him for years....how is it even possible? When he has fallen back, we see just how terrible a hockey team we have...
I agree with this and I also want to ask a question. Is it just me or do the habs play stronger defence whenever we have a backup in nets? I am not just referring to Niemi but also Montoya etc. Price is often having to make 2-3 unbelievable saves a game to bail out his D, is it just me seeing this?

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree with this and I also want to ask a question. Is it just me or do the habs play stronger defence whenever we have a backup in nets? I am not just referring to Niemi but also Montoya etc. Price is often having to make 2-3 unbelievable saves a game to bail out his D, is it just me seeing this?
It seems it, and it would make sense, that they as a group relax too much, because CP 31 is back there...........that being said, Price did not do himself any favors last season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad