Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MTL] Habs acquire Joel Edmundson's rights for MTL 5th '20

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It’d be a scary contract if it’s anything longer than 3 years, guys like Edmundson seem to always burn out after they reach UFA.

I see Alzner in Edmondson if i’m being honest.

Buyer Beware

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Edmondson can do certain things well. And we have seen that in STL plenty of times.

But quick decision making, and lateral agility are definitely NOT two things he excels at. His best bet is probably to play in a system that's mostly north-south, with well defined coverage and outlet routes. Ask him to be even a little creative is probably not going to end up well.

Yes, agree. Problem is that the game is much faster now and being able to make quick decisions is required by every defensemen. Same with lateral agility. Some systems can "hide" those defects to some extent, but it's becoming harder and harder. Canes are probably on the more extreme side of things so I do agree that a guy like Edmundson would struggle more in that system, I was only commenting that he also had some struggles in STL as well, so it's not just Carolina's system.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yes, agree. Problem is that the game is much faster now and being able to make quick decisions is required by every defensemen. Same with lateral agility. Some systems can "hide" those defects to some extent, but it's becoming harder and harder. Canes are probably on the more extreme side of things so I do agree that a guy like Edmundson would struggle more in that system, I was only commenting that he also had some struggles in STL as well, so it's not just Carolina's system.
Its only been one year since the blues have won the cup what do you mean "the game is so much faster now" what the hell? Are people on the benches with a speed gun and clocking peoples speeds or something? I get the game has gotten faster in the past 10 years but in a short year?

Reactions: Price is Wright

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Its only been one year since the blues have won the cup what do you mean "the game is so much faster now" what the hell? Are people on the benches with a speed gun and clocking peoples speeds or something? I get the game has gotten faster in the past 10 years but in a short year?

Calm down. Edmundson was healthy scratched a few times during the regular season and during the playoffs including game 5 and 6 (and only playing 7+ min. in game 4). He had his struggles even last year. The "game is getting faster" comment isn't a 1 year thing, it's been going on steadily for years.

He struggled at times in Carolina for the same reason. Let's not act like Joel Edmundson is the main the reason St. Louis won the cup, just like Luke Schenn isn't the main reason Tampa is doing so well. St. Louis dumped him to Carolina without a 2nd thought.

I'm not saying he isn't NHL material, he is. He can be a serviceable defenseman, with the right partner and used the right way, can be fine. If you pay him too much and then expect him to be more than he is, a team will likely regret it.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It’d be a scary contract if it’s anything longer than 3 years, guys like Edmundson seem to always burn out after they reach UFA.

I see Alzner in Edmondson if i’m being honest.

Buyer Beware

if you can't type his name properly i doubt you'd know much about his play

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Calm down. Edmundson was healthy scratched a few times during the regular season and during the playoffs including game 5 and 6 (and only playing 7+ min. in game 4). He had his struggles even last year. The "game is getting faster" comment isn't a 1 year thing, it's been going on steadily for years.

He struggled at times in Carolina for the same reason. Let's not act like Joel Edmundson is the main the reason St. Louis won the cup, just like Luke Schenn isn't the main reason Tampa is doing so well. St. Louis dumped him to Carolina without a 2nd thought.

I'm not saying he isn't NHL material, he is. He can be a serviceable defenseman, with the right partner and used the right way, can be fine. If you pay him too much and then expect him to be more than he is, a team will likely regret it.
It makes me remember a guy named Mark Stuart.

He was a 1st rd pick of the Bruins and was USA WJC captain. Once he made it to the NHL B's fans were like "Future captain", "top 4 shut down guy". Then they realized it was "Solid defensive dman 3rd pairing" and then it was "Can probably get someone better".

Then he went to WPG and it was almost the same process.

Edmundson is the same way. You think you are getting top 4. Then it's solid 3rd pair and then its "Might as well go with someone cheaper".

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
if you can't type his name properly i doubt you'd know much about his play
You have done an amazing job adding to the discussion at hand. tell me, what is your opinion on Mr. Joel Edmundson? And why you think he’s going to be worth the 4M+ he is bound to get on the open market?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Here’s Edmundson in a nutshell

Pros: Good teammate and will scrap if needed, can play physical on the boards and in front of the net, blocks shots, can occasionally surprise you by joining the rush and chipping in some points here and there

Cons: Below average skater, not great at passing or handling the puck, doesn’t posses high hockey IQ lacks awareness during quick play and can be caught out of position

As many others have said, he’s a bottom pairing guy who can occasionally play up in a pinch but he is too inconsistent to do it on a regular basis. He’ll have flashes where things click and he’s a positive force on the ice but for the most part he’ll try to hold down the fort and if paired with someone who can get the puck out and has strong skating/passing/positional awareness he’ll be OK.

I wouldn’t go more than a 2 year deal but 3 might be ok. He’s worth $2.5AAV but if you go $3.5 it’s not the end of the world. If you go 4x4 or something like that it’s not gonna end well.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Here’s Edmundson in a nutshell

Pros: Good teammate and will scrap if needed, can play physical on the boards and in front of the net, blocks shots, can occasionally surprise you by joining the rush and chipping in some points here and there

Cons: Below average skater, not great at passing or handling the puck, doesn’t posses high hockey IQ lacks awareness during quick play and can be caught out of position

As many others have said, he’s a bottom pairing guy who can occasionally play up in a pinch but he is too inconsistent to do it on a regular basis. He’ll have flashes where things click and he’s a positive force on the ice but for the most part he’ll try to hold down the fort and if paired with someone who can get the puck out and has strong skating/passing/positional awareness he’ll be OK.

I wouldn’t go more than a 2 year deal but 3 might be ok. He’s worth $2.5AAV but if you go $3.5 it’s not the end of the world. If you go 4x4 or something like that it’s not gonna end well.
Around 3 Habs be able to sneak him through waivers. Can protect somebody else, gives depth.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

You obviously missed the point but to answer your question, yes they actually do record players' skating speeds, at least in some leagues.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pairing Romanov with Fleury is quite a disservice to a rookie.

I'm pretty certain we're going to bring in an experienced RD. At least that's what we should do.

I say Fleury. Could be Kulak. Whatever. 5 Ds can still get to 200 hits in a season on that roster.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I say Fleury. Could be Kulak. Whatever. 5 Ds can still get to 200 hits in a season on that roster.
Yes, that's a heavy hitting defence.

If we get the same discipline from our forwards as two seasons ago, then perhaps our transition game won't suffer too much.

That's my main concern.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
That D group has, like, 1 puck mover. Its a disaster waiting to happen and isn't that likely just based on internal options Montreal has. Even with no trades, you're looking at something like:

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Edmundson - Mete/Romanov
Mete/Romanov

Romanov is quite capable of moving the puck. Petry too. Weber is in no way incompetent at it. Chiarot proved he can make a sound first-pass.

You act as if there was a dichotomy between "physical, stay-at-home Ds" and "puck-moving Ds". That's not the case. There's no Hal Gill / Mike Komisarek in there.

And quite frankly, Kulak is incredibly clumsy with the puck when there's any kind of pressure on him. I don't want him anywhere near the top-4.

For all I care, replace Fleury with Mete. He can play RD and I'd still rather him than Kulak.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That D group has, like, 1 puck mover. Its a disaster waiting to happen and isn't that likely just based on internal options Montreal has. Even with no trades, you're looking at something like:

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Edmundson - Mete/Romanov
Mete/Romanov
You really think they're gonna play Romanov on his off-side?

Unless they see him permanently as a RD, it seems like a risky way to introduce the kid to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad