Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MTL] Habs acquire Joel Edmundson's rights for MTL 5th '20

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We still got outplayed, we lost, we got outplayed in scoring. offensive talent is vaste. We lacked scoring and overall talent and skills. There’s alot of way to create offense and 2 things Montreal lacks is a scoring winger, puck rushing Dman. Edmundson is neither of these, we can argue Mete doesn’t create much offense but like i mentionned, we saw Mete joining the rush and jumping the puck in the Ozone MUCH more and he’s still 22 year old. (Edmundson was still in the AHL) To think Mete is a final product at 22 is pretty crazy. He’s much more of a need when you already have Chiarot and Weber. Like i said i don’t mind Edmundson on the team, i just hate that it pushes Mete out of the team or Romanov to the AHL and i feel like i will hate the term and money, but i will wait until everything settles down.

i could live with him joining if the lines look like this

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Mete
Kulak

Fleury in the AHL
Juulsen on a conditional AHL stint and see how he does before making a move.

and Edmundson on a fairly cheap contract.
Ok

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
All this talk about why we lost and no one has brought up that mb traded away all our depth at the dead line and we were playing ahlers on our team.
Nobody could have predicted the playoffs being expanded to 24 teams . Being 10-12 points out at the deadline what team wouldn’t trade some players for picks ?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nobody could have predicted the playoffs being expanded to 24 teams . Being 10-12 points out at the deadline what team wouldn’t trade some players for picks ?
Yes and what I am saying is people were expecting the Habs to some how beat the Flyers when we traded all our depth away and had to put in AHLers to fill in. We played better then the Flyers and the depth that we traded away would have been a huge boost. If anything it just shows how bad the Pens are for losing to a shitty depthless Habs team and the Flyers being out played only for a bunch of lucky bounces to go there way in game 6.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what kind of contract are Habs fans willing to give Edmundson?

it's really hard to guess what any UFA contract will look like in the covid world since we don't know what teams can even afford to pay up for UFA's based on what I assume will be more teams having an internal cap. So what's fair is hard to guess. I don't know his game at all so I just hope it's not for too many years or too high unless they plan on exposing him at the expansion draft and think he would get picked.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
what kind of contract are Habs fans willing to give Edmundson?

3.75M for 3 years would be fine with me. I would consider a contract over 4M to be too steep and a contract longer than 4 years to be too long.

On the other hand, if we sign him under 3.5M per season I think we're getting very good value.

In the end, my prediction is;
15.5M and 4 years (3.875AAV). Don't ask me why I'm so specific. That's just the number I have in mind.

Last edited:

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If he can be had for 3.5m that is a decent deal, would love him on the Canucks for 4m or less but seems very unlikely to happen

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Meh, Habs have tons of picks and MB loves his depth on defense.

Not terrible, but not great either

Depends if he signs him (more than likely) and depends what the contractual terms will be.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You wanna talk career? Edmundson wasn’t even playing in the NHL at Mete’s age.
My problem is not Edmundson joining, it’s forcing Mete out. It’s gonna be fun to see Mete’s second gear on an other team and watching you Mete haters cry. We even saw a different Mete once Muller took over with some legit puck rush in the ozone. Only knock on Mete is his shot, something he can work on, he’s more than fine in the Dzone, you don’t need to play Physical when you cover alot of ice, have a great stick and fast transition. We see it in alot of young D’s and it’s not like our Dcore was all smurf.

If he's as good as you claim, then the Habs can sell him on spec.

It's OK if he does well elsewhere. However, it's not OK if the Habs don't do a proper job in maximizing his return.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, the GF,GA% doesn’t show that.

That needs to be taken with context though. He's with 4 other players on the ice. I can be quite deceiving since you don't see the quality of competition and neither the quality of linemates. Doesn't take consideration of where faceoffs are taken when he's on the ice. It doesn't consider goalie save% either.

Sometimes bad players have a great GF% when on ice but they're deployed in very favourable situations and with good offensive players. Some players are also sometimes just unlucky and their goalie can't stop a puck for some reason. Not saying this is the case here specifically but there's a lot to consider. Petry has a worse GA GF than Mete and he's waaaaaay better. All that being said, Mete is definitely not addition by substraction.

What I'm saying though is that it's not a stat that can be taken as you take it IMO.

Last edited:

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I LOVED him when he was playing for the Blues, they even put him on the first pair from time to time if im not wrong ?
In Carolina it was a different story, but again, Skej had a hard time adjusting at the start, Gardiner can't adjust, etc.. Carolina is a difficult system to fit in.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I LOVED him when he was playing for the Blues, they even put him on the first pair from time to time if im not wrong ?
In Carolina it was a different story, but again, Skej had a hard time adjusting at the start, Gardiner can't adjust, etc.. Carolina is a difficult system to fit in.

Gardiner was actually decent the second half of the season and in the playoffs. That first half of the season, though . . . :eek:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I’ll give you Gardiner as he had truly a rough first season in CAR, however towards the end of the regular season and in the playoffs he was much better, imho.

Skjei wasn’t lights out in his 7 pre-covid break games, but he was a serviceable top 4 guy. In the playoffs he was one of the Canes’ best D, so I think he’ll fit in just fine.

Reactions: Techcoockie

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Gardiner struggled, but I don't think it was the "system", his skating, which is his strength was terrible early on. Due to injury recovery or age? no idea but he looked better at the end of the season before play was halted. Not sure what you mean by Skjei though. He played 7 total games without any training camp.. Hard to get any read off of that.

IIRC, Edmundson was health scratched a few times in St. Louis's cup run as well so inconsistency wasn't just a Carolina thing.

That said, Carolina's style does require strong skaters that make decisions quickly and can pivot quickly with lateral movement so Edmundson might not be ideal for it.

He was ok in Carolina, just not a guy I would pay much for. He had a few stretches of good play and was more physical than most of the Canes defensemen, but was really inconsistent and took a lot of penalties, at seemingly bad times. I think that's because he's not fleet of foot enough to keep up with guys. He's not that slow, but he doesn't have great quickness either.

If the Habs can get him at a decent price and term, they should be happy. If it ends up being $4M+ or 4+ years, I think they'll eventually regret that deal.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
IIRC, Edmundson was health scratched a few times in St. Louis's cup run as well so inconsistency wasn't just a Carolina thing.

He played 22 of 26 games in the '19 playoffs if I recall a post from earlier in this thread. After Petro, Bouw, and Parayko, he played the most.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He played 22 of 26 games in the '19 playoffs if I recall a post from earlier in this thread. After Petro, Bouw, and Parayko, he played the most.

Right, I said he was scratched a few games, which he was.

Stanley Cup Game 5 | St. Louis Blues defenseman Robert Bortuzzo to replace Joel Edmundson | ksdk.com

For instance, this article shows he was healthy scratched for Game 5 (He was also scratched for game 6) against Boston, after playing only 7 min 24s in game 4.

He was healthy scratched a few times during the season as well due to up and down play.

Not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying his struggles and inconsistency existed in St. Louis so it wasn't just "Carolina's system" IMO.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Gardiner struggled, but I don't think it was the "system", his skating, which is his strength was terrible early on. Due to injury recovery or age? no idea but he looked better at the end of the season before play was halted. Not sure what you mean by Skjei though. He played 7 total games without any training camp.. Hard to get any read off of that.

That said, Carolina's style does require strong skaters that make decisions quickly and can pivot quickly with lateral movement so Edmundson might not be ideal for it.

He was ok in Carolina, just not a guy I would pay much for. He had a few stretches of good play and was more physical than most of the Canes defensemen, but was really inconsistent and took a lot of penalties, at seemingly bad times. I think that's because he's not fleet of foot enough to keep up with guys. He's not that slow, but he doesn't have great quickness either.

If the Habs can get him at a decent price and term, they should be happy. If it ends up being $4M+ or 4+ years, I think they'll eventually regret that deal.

Edmondson can do certain things well. And we have seen that in STL plenty of times.

But quick decision making, and lateral agility are definitely NOT two things he excels at. His best bet is probably to play in a system that's mostly north-south, with well defined coverage and outlet routes. Ask him to be even a little creative is probably not going to end up well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad