Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MTL] Habs acquire Joel Edmundson's rights for MTL 5th '20

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’d be a scary contract if it’s anything longer than 3 years, guys like Edmundson seem to always burn out after they reach UFA.

I see Alzner in Edmondson if i’m being honest.

Buyer Beware

We are not going to sign Edmundson for 5 years like we did with Alzner. Probably 2 years at $3.5M (max). And not many skate as bad as Alzner these days. Even Lucic skates better :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You really think they're gonna play Romanov on his off-side?

Unless they see him permanently as a RD, it seems like a risky way to introduce the kid to the NHL.

The other way around. It's possible Edmundson plays RD with Romanov. I believe Edmundson played RD with Slavin? Am I wrong?

Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

Juulsen, Mete

or

Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry
Romanov / Juulsen

Kulak, Mete

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Romanov is quite capable of moving the puck. Petry too. Weber is in no way incompetent at it. Chiarot proved he can make a sound first-pass.

You act as if there was a dichotomy between "physical, stay-at-home Ds" and "puck-moving Ds". That's not the case. There's no Hal Gill / Mike Komisarek in there.

And quite frankly, Kulak is incredibly clumsy with the puck when there's any kind of pressure on him.

For all I care, replace Fleury with Mete.

Romanov has played 0 NHL games, we have no idea how his game will translate or how quickly it will translate. Petry is a good puck mover. Weber and Chiarot are adequate at moving the puck when they need to, but you should in no way rely on either of them to move the puck in transition.

You absolutely replace Fleury with Mete because Fleury doesn't really do anything well yet, and Mete is fantastic transition D-man.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The other way around. It's possible Edmundson plays RD with Romanov. I believe Edmundson played RD with Slavin? Am I wrong?

Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

Juulsen, Mete

or

Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry
Romanov / Juulsen

Kulak, Mete

I like the second one better. Hopefully Romanov plays his way up to 2nd pairing but I like Juulsen as a bottom pairing guy best.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
You really think they're gonna play Romanov on his off-side?

Unless they see him permanently as a RD, it seems like a risky way to introduce the kid to the NHL.

To start with? Maybe. Russian D-men frequently play their offhand side. He's played there before and I doubt their would be major adverse effects.

I also doubt Bergevin is done making moves.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Romanov is quite capable of moving the puck. Petry too. Weber is in no way incompetent at it. Chiarot proved he can make a sound first-pass.

You act as if there was a dichotomy between "physical, stay-at-home Ds" and "puck-moving Ds". That's not the case. There's no Hal Gill / Mike Komisarek in there.

And quite frankly, Kulak is incredibly clumsy with the puck when there's any kind of pressure on him. I don't want him anywhere near the top-4.

For all I care, replace Fleury with Mete. He can play RD and I'd still rather him than Kulak.

The Habs couldn't move the puck this past season and imo it's a large part of why their PP sucks so bad.

Mete needs to be at LD

Fleury needs to be in Laval

Kulak should be the 7th or 8th D depending on how Juulsen looks.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I don't know enough French, can someone tell me the pertinent points of this as it relates to the Habs signing Edmundson?
I just read an article on RDS by François Gagnon. Apparently, they're closing in on a deal around 4M depending on contract length. If the contract reaches 5 years, it would be 3.5M AAV. Also, apparently, chances are that the contract could be signed this week.

Awfully looks like Alzner 2.0

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I just read an article on RDS by François Gagnon. Apparently, they're closing in on a deal around 4M depending on contract length. If the contract reaches 5 years, it would be 3.5M AAV. Also, apparently, chances are that the contract could be signed this week.

Awfully looks like Alzner 2.0

A NMC clause too....

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
He was just making $3m, he wasn't going to take a cut for his first UFA deal. Don't think $3.5mx5 is too too bad, maybe if you consider the financial climate around the league but in a no-corona situation I think that contract is fine

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He was just making $3m, he wasn't going to take a cut for his first UFA deal. Don't think $3.5mx5 is too too bad, maybe if you consider the financial climate around the league but in a no-corona situation I think that contract is fine

5 years is just waaaay too long for a guy like Edmundson. 2 is fine. 3 you could get away with. 4 is on the wrong side of things. 5 is gonna be a bad time.

It’s worth paying a million more per year to keep the term down or you’re gonna be in another Alzner or Jack Johnson situation.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That D group has, like, 1 puck mover. Its a disaster waiting to happen and isn't that likely just based on internal options Montreal has. Even with no trades, you're looking at something like:

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Edmundson - Mete/Romanov
Mete/Romanov

How is that 1 puck mover?
Chariot is decent, and the rest in bold are all good at moving the puck.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Hard like the marshmallow man

Wait. You think the Habs' D is soft? Do you even hockey?

Edmundson is simply not a top 4 defenseman.

Well Chiarot isn't what you think of when you think top pairing but he worked out fine with Weber.

I see Alzner in Edmondson if i’m being honest.

The fact is Alzner was coming back from a big injury at the time and Bergevin should've done his due diligence.

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

Poor Price. And Allen.

Hunh? That would be a super defensive D group. Price would be delighted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3 x $3m would make sense. I don't see the purpose of the Habs offering more. Kulak would be better value. Edmundson should consider the financial climate and how many teams are willing to spend big on #4/5 D-men.

I'm also laughing at all of the fans concerned about the expansion draft "how do we protect Eddy, Kulak, Mete, etc...?" You don't. Seattle will take one player from you no matter what you do and you should count yourself very lucky if they take one of those three instead of a better player like Armia. It's actually a win from the Habs perspective if the player they lose only cost them a 5th rounder, that will be less costly than what most teams have to give up.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
We are not going to sign Edmundson for 5 years like we did with Alzner. Probably 2 years at $3.5M (max). And not many skate as bad as Alzner these days. Even Lucic skates better :laugh:
if they offer 2 years at 3.5 i highly doubt he signs and goes to free agency. ckearly Bergevin is interested or he wouldnt have given a 5th. he has to make a strong offer.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
How is that 1 puck mover?
Chariot is decent, and the rest in bold are all good at moving the puck.

Chiarot isn't a good puck mover, he's adequate, Romanov has played 0 NHL games, lets be conservative with expectations and the line-up I was criticizing didn't have Kulak or Mete, which is why I added them back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad