Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MTL] Habs acquire Joel Edmundson's rights for MTL 5th '20

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Five years ? Trolling is my guess. That would be brutal. Of course. I am not fussy about signing this guy at all.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
if they offer 2 years at 3.5 i highly doubt he signs and goes to free agency. ckearly Bergevin is interested or he wouldnt have given a 5th. he has to make a strong offer.

That's the issue with giving a pick for negotiating rights. You give the player leverage by making it clear how much you want him. Of course he's going to ask for the moon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's the issue with giving a pick for negotiating rights. You give the player leverage by making it clear how much you want him. Of course he's going to ask for the moon.

Agreed. Bet you the Canes said no to talking to him before the trade too. 5th or he goes to UFA was likely the pitch. After we offer sheet Aho... don't blame them

Two things possibly at play here... There is a agreed deal but on hold until Domi is traded. Or there is a contract dispute/disagreement on term/AAV.

Who is going to give Edmundson a 3 year deal at $4M in this flat cap off season? I doubt he gets that offer.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Yes, agree. Problem is that the game is much faster now and being able to make quick decisions is required by every defensemen. Same with lateral agility. Some systems can "hide" those defects to some extent, but it's becoming harder and harder. Canes are probably on the more extreme side of things so I do agree that a guy like Edmundson would struggle more in that system, I was only commenting that he also had some struggles in STL as well, so it's not just Carolina's system.

Right; he definitely has a lot areas where he's solid. He's most effective when you have some predefined roles and tactics for various scenarios, like when opposition is in configuration A, do things 1->2->3, and when they are in configuration B do 4->5->6, and nothing that involves very quick stops/starts and agile turning. His ideal partner is probably someone that's a free-wheeling PMD with high hockey IQ; they can make up for each other's shortcomings.

If you limit your expectations, you will like what you get with him. He does a lot of things well, mostly things that don't require creativity, but nothing where you would say he excels at. Tamper your expectations, and he's a solid 4-5 D given the right type of partner. Otherwise, you would be sorely disappointed.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad