Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MIN] Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What Niederreiter is doing in Carolina should be an irrelevant consideration for the Wild, particularly when he's in such a favorable situation (EV next to a center producing at a high end level + 1st PP minutes). Lindholm's performance in Calgary doesn't have meaning for my evaluation of the trade with Calgary. HF, which is obsessed with declaring winners and losers, will make a big deal out of it, but you have to be more pragmatic in evaluating the decision making behind these trades; it's not as if Waddell called up Fenton and talked him into it. The pertinent questions to answer are:

1. Are the Wild better off with Rask and the $1.25 mil in cap instead of Niederreiter?
But this is NOT it. This is way too simplistic of a way to look at it. Don't you get it? You're supposed to compare to other possible return - Surely Rask wasn't the best they could get. As they got less value than Niederreiter was worth, it's a lost trade.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He looks like he is enjoying playing with Aho, and vice versa
He's just what Aho needed. A guy who will work hard to retrieve the puck (Williams is similar in that regard as well which is why the Nino-Aho-Williams line is working so well) then basically shoot as much as possible. Aho and Teravainen were good together but they both wanted to pass up shots too much of the time to their detriment.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
What exactly qualified Fenton to run an NHL team?

And does Minny not have a pro scouting or analytics department?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
This trade should tell everyone to target Wild players.

They have a bunch of solid players that can't play together because their weaknesses overlap.

Slow team that can't generate space for their skill to show.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
But this is NOT it. This is way too simplistic of a way to look at it. Don't you get it? You're supposed to compare to other possible return - Surely Rask wasn't the best they could get. As they got less value than Niederreiter was worth, it's a lost trade.

Maybe he was. No alternative offers have been leaked, to my knowledge. I find it hard to believe that Fenton didn't trade him for the best offer.

Until that information comes out, I think you have to view the trade through the prism of Rask vs. Nino to Minnesota and Minnesota only.

HF sees trades as zero-sum. It's not like that. Carolina making a good trade ≠ Minnesota making a bad trade.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not going to defend this trade or the return, but Fenton was shopping the guy for months. The fact that 29 other teams didn't make a better offer doesn't reflect well on most of them either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not going to defend this trade or the return, but Fenton was shopping the guy for months. The fact that 29 other teams didn't make a better offer doesn't reflect well on most of them either.
Will never know if that's true

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Will never know if that's true
I suppose not. I guess I'm still hoping that Fenton felt the need to make the trade when he did, though I don't understand why, and that he took the best that he could get. I'm also assuming that any offers he had midseason included bad cap coming back, so maybe it was a bounce-back candidate in Rask vs a 2nd + a 3-year cap dump.

I don't know. I hate it and I'm trying to not let it suck me into the void.

Reactions: 2Pair

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Same concept applies to the Skinner trade that the Canes get mocked for. If he was worth more, why didn't any other GM of a team he was willing to play for offer up more?

I find it hard to label trading a player for market value a fleecing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wasn’t Nino being shopped around the league and finding it hard to keep a spot in the top 9? I think everyone had plenty of chances on this guy. Canes were willing to chance the salary and see if he could turn it up.

It did seem obvious that he could get his groove back, as compared to Rask. Rask actually is a pretty dependable two way center, you just can’t count on him to drive the offense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Same concept applies to the Skinner trade that the Canes get mocked for. If he was worth more, why didn't any other GM of a team he was willing to play for offer up more?

I find it hard to label trading a player for market value a fleecing.
Skinner at least had an NMC that he had to waive, didn't he? "Choosing" Buffalo was probably a shrewd move going into a contract year, at least from where I'm sitting.

Fenton doesn't really have any excuses. Even if the second best offer was Lucic and a 7th he could've just kept Nino to see if something better didn't come along in the summer when teams have more cap flexibility.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nino was absolutely a player that I wanted the Leafs to look at. Exactly the kind of player we needed to bring effort every game.

Looks like Carolina made themselves a hell of a sweet deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wasn’t Nino being shopped around the league and finding it hard to keep a spot in the top 9? I think everyone had plenty of chances on this guy. Canes were willing to chance the salary and see if he could turn it up.

It did seem obvious that he could get his groove back, as compared to Rask. Rask actually is a pretty dependable two way center, you just can’t count on him to drive the offense.
He hasn't played a ton of games for us, but the only things he's done reliably are cough up the puck and point at guys.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s had a couple of off years, but I really he has something left to give. This years a wrap though. He needs a full camp and a good start.

Shows how quickly the league speeds up, two years ago he had gotten to the point where his skating wasn’t really that much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad