Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MIN] Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
im not saying CAR didnt win it right now. but as you said a year from now it may be a completely different story. I was more so pointing out the flaws in using healthy scratch and points produced to make this trade look worse than it really is. Ill defend the trade plenty as i see the future sight in it more so than the present. Right now its ugly but next year things will change for the better. Wild were **** before the trade and are **** after. Rask was not gonna change that. Mcdavid couldnt change that for the wild this year.
This is just incorrect.

Wish Nino all the best. He was always my favorite forward on the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rask is one of those players that you don't notice till he does something bad.

As to the poster saying that Rask can't play top 6 with the Wild? I dispute that! Rask has a decent chance at cracking the Wild's top 6... the Iowa Wild, that is.

I'm happy for Nino, and forever grateful that Fenton did not trade him to the Avs. Nino was not good in MN since he signed his new deal 1 1/2 years ago, but he was always a big body who was a net front presence and good in the corners, even at his worst. Rask...

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Dumping Rask who currently for Carolina is absolutely useless in all facets of the game would have been celebrated in Carolina. Don't care what Nino does, he has 9 goals. Rask can't score, can't defend, can't skate

Now, I'm not saying Rask can't rebound. I hope he does he has had a couple pretty good years in Carolina. But currently just getting rid of him for nothing was talked about a lot

The Canes making the playoffs won't have anything to do with this trade

WHOOPSIE BOYS. LOOKS LIKE I WAS WRONG HERE

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
As a Canes fan, I love this trade so much and thank Paul Fenton from the bottom of my heart. Realistically, though, I think this trade was a one-off bad move on his part. I think his post-Nino trades are going to pan out a lot better in the long run, especially Donato for Coyle. I'm just thankful that Waddell was there to capitalize when Nino was available for pennies on the dollar, and only needed to give up a not-so-good center on a rapidly decaying contract to make it work.

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Just keep in mind: Victor had a really bad start to the season, with a bad accident cutting his hand. No matter what your occupation, this kind of injury disrupts your life, and is magnified when it happens to a pro athlete. I wasn't a big fan of VR as a Cane, but, I do think he will fill a role as a 3rd-4th line center next season and wish him the best.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Here's what likely happened:
Canes were shopping Victor Rask in an attempt to dump his contract as Rask was nothing more than a 4th liner at this point for them. There was nothing out there and they planned on buying him out in the offseason because no one wants to be paying 4th liners $4.00 mil/year.
Wild were shopping Niederreiter in an attempt to dump his contract as Nino was nothing more than a 4th liner at this point for them. There was nothing out there and they planned on buying him out in the offseason because no one wants to be paying 4th liners $5.25 mil/year.

Because of the lack of interest in their respective players, Fenton and Waddell saw this as a good chance to try a change of scenery trade. Wild needed C depth and Canes needed scoring. While Nino had the higher upside due to the fact that Rask cannot skate well enough for today's NHL, he was owed more money so both GM's saw this as a fair swap (Rask's buyout would be $2.5 mil/less over the 6 years total). If the trades didn't work, they would just buy-out the player they acquired like they planned on doing with the player they traded anyway.

Nino has been on Aho's wing every game since the trade and Aho is a 30G/50A playmaker who creates a ton of opportunities for his linemates. Nino's been a great fit for the Canes but I don't think Fenton was fleeced like everyone keeps saying unless there were better players than Victor Rask being offered with similar salary. In addition, Fenton's moves after this one have been good/great ones and it's Boudreau who had Nino playing on the 4th line killing his trade value.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just keep in mind: Victor had a really bad start to the season, with a bad accident cutting his hand. No matter what your occupation, this kind of injury disrupts your life, and is magnified when it happens to a pro athlete. I wasn't a big fan of VR as a Cane, but, I do think he will fill a role as a 3rd-4th line center next season and wish him the best.
We had Nico Sturm(NCAA FA) play one game for us, and he looked WAY better than Rask. The only 3/4C role Rask will fill is on the Iowa Wild, once Fenton accepts that he f***ed up and plays him where he deserves to be played.

I wish that I could say that I am kidding.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
4ED8BF56-42E9-4F51-B5D2-38605F1D349E.gif
4ED8BF56-42E9-4F51-B5D2-38605F1D349E.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad