Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MIN] Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
HF sees trades as zero-sum. It's not like that. Carolina making a good trade ≠ Minnesota making a bad trade.

You don't need look at Nino's numbers in Carolina to determine it was a bad trade for Minnesota right when it happened.

Rask is on a bad contract for a bad player. His value is practically negative. The fact that the Wild gave anything at all for him already made it a bad trade for Minnesota.

Selling low on a good player that was in a slump just makes it worse.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Nino is such a good fit on Carolina. Seems to have regained his confidence to make plays at high speeds and put the puck in the net.

Rask on the other hand.. i think it was wishful thinking he was going to suddenly turn it around this year. He's just not looked very good all year. But it can still turn out decent for Minny if he regains his 40-50 point form in the next 3 years. He's still a center and those are always needed, especially if Staal walks.

I sort of get the idea from Minny's pov as Nino had 55 pts in 109 games over the last 2 seasons which is underwhelming, but still, they didn't really have to make this trade.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Wasn’t Nino being shopped around the league and finding it hard to keep a spot in the top 9? I think everyone had plenty of chances on this guy. Canes were willing to chance the salary and see if he could turn it up.

It did seem obvious that he could get his groove back, as compared to Rask. Rask actually is a pretty dependable two way center, you just can’t count on him to drive the offense.

I think it goes to show that the center makes a world of a difference.

They had others to play with Staal and Koivu/Eriksson Ek/Coyle etc. are not even close to Sebastian Aho.

There's no question Aho is just the perfect center for him, good on the Canes for taking a chance. Although, getting a big speedy 20 goalscorer for heavily struggling Rask is a no brainer for any team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Nino seems to be a very good fit for them. Knew this when the trade would happen on behalf of the Hurricanes. Think he's going to help them clinch a wild card spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvechNecas

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone else find these two teams very similar. Often on the bubble...making the playoffs here and there but cant get over that hump.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Anyone else find these two teams very similar. Often on the bubble...making the playoffs here and there but cant get over that hump.
The similarities seem kind of superficial to me.

Minnesota's made the playoff six years in a row and has had quite a bit riding on getting more than two series wins in that span. They're a team that's dangerously close to decline without ever having peaked. Carolina's been stuck more in perpetual building mode and have struggled to make the playoffs, but they look much more like a team on the rise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Brutal trade. Fenton's gonna have to do something positive for that franchise soon or the heats going to get turned up.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Well, except Carolina has held up Stanley.

Minnesota never has.

Winning mentality begets winning

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Doesn't his first round selection currently have 1 pt in sweden's 2nd tier league?

Yeah it was the worst 1st round pick I can remember in a long time. Most teams had him 4th or later and one team had him in the 7th. It was a shockingly bad pick.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah it was the worst 1st round pick I can remember in a long time. Most teams had him 4th or later and one team had him in the 7th. It was a shockingly bad pick.

Yikes. Seriously, wtf was Fenton thinking? His production (idk his name) was pretty much in the mid to late round range, why the f*** was he chosen in the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->