Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MIN] Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wish Fletcher had traded for Nino if a Rask-level asset was all it took.
Kinda surprised he didn't, but it was players like Nino on the Wild who's disappointing play the past year or so that got Fletcher fired, after rewarding them with nice contracts. Perhaps he lost trust in him.

The issue isn't that Nino was this awesome player, or a great value, but that he was traded for an even less awesome player, with an even lesser value. Hopefully Rask proves us wrong.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Kinda surprised he didn't, but it was players like Nino on the Wild who's disappointing play the past year or so that got Fletcher fired, after rewarding them with nice contracts. Perhaps he lost trust in him.

The issue isn't that Nino was this awesome player, or a great value, but that he was traded for an even less awesome player, with an even lesser value. Hopefully Rask proves us wrong.

Fletch got fired because Leipold wanted one of his Preds cronies in there.

IMO Fenton is not an upgrade and no player action "got Flethcher fired". Leipold got Fletcher fired.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fletch got fired because Leipold wanted one of his Preds cronies in there.

IMO Fenton is not an upgrade and no player action "got Flethcher fired". Leipold got Fletcher fired.

Fenton has been pretty brutal so far.

Awful 1st round pick in 2018. Awful Nino trade.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fenton has been pretty brutal so far.

Awful 1st round pick in 2018. Awful Nino trade.

Just to be clear, this trade can be considered a win from Minnesota's point of view if Rask returns to being a 40-50 point center, which you can't possibly tell from 4 games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just to be clear, this trade can be considered a win from Minnesota's point of view if Rask returns to being a 40-50 point center, which you can't possibly tell from 4 games.

True, however unlikely that is.

That 1st in 2018 though...BARF!

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ

And if he doesn't, and Nino returns to being a 25+25 player, it's one of the worst trades in Minnesota's history. Which scenario seems much more likely, even considering the minuscule sample size?

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm not wowed by it, i think we lost on value, but I know why we did it and i agree with the premise and I can't come up with a way to get a center any better from anyone with any lesser assets, considering we're not going to be trading picks (per Fenton).

obvious, from this trade, the Wild aren't going into a rebuild where we make trades for pure futures, so i hope that get's put to rest (until/unless we're out of the picture around the deadline).

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not wowed by it, i think we lost on value, but I know why we did it and i agree with the premise and I can't come up with a way to get a center any better from anyone with any lesser assets, considering we're not going to be trading picks (per Fenton).

obvious, from this trade, the Wild aren't going into a rebuild where we make trades for pure futures, so i hope that get's put to rest (until/unless we're out of the picture around the deadline).

You could go looking through UFA and find a much better center. You could trade a 7th round pick and find a much better center.

Jan 21, 2018

giphy.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Which young center is available for a 7th round pick, or for free?

I’m 21 years old, and I can play center. Do you want to sign me?

You probably don’t, and that’s because I would get absolutely eaten alive playing center at the NHL level. But Victor Rask also gets absolutely eaten alive at the NHL level. My youth isn’t relevant enough to make you ignore that, so why is Victor Rask’s youth relevant?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pump the breaks....we would still be lucky to make the playoffs at this point in the east. Helps, sure, but conference finals...no.
But Hurricanes actually have been an excellent team according to all the advanced metrics one can even come up with, they just have struggled with producing. And losing a replacement level player and getting a legitimate first liner back tips the scales quite a bit. And Niederreiter even has been an advanced stat darling as well.
Which young center is available for a 7th round pick, or for free?
Replacement level players are, which Rask at best is.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I am no Nino hater--i'd rather that trade hadn't taken place--but its a fact that every coach Nino has been under here has done the same thing. Wild fans used to blame the coach "WHY OH WHY WOULD YOU DEMOTE NINO?!!" but everyone does. Because they can't get a consistent read on how he's going to play. When he's getting in the way more than he's contributing offensively he gets his minutes cut, and even if he is a stats darling there's something about him that coaches don't trust. Its like he's either "A" level offensively or "C/D" and if he's having a C/D streak that means you've got to juggle lines and get someone merely B level up in his slot, then drop them down again if Nino is on his game. I think it becomes a pain in the ass after a while and frustrating because you know what he's capable of. I'd love it if he stuck in scoring mode with the Hurricanes--as i said i really like him as a person and as a player.

has he been chirpy and aggressive there yet? That's usually how you can tell when he's rolling.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But Hurricanes actually have been an excellent team according to all the advanced metrics one can even come up with, they just have struggled with producing. And losing a replacement level player and getting a legitimate first liner back tips the scales quite a bit. And Niederreiter even has been an advanced stat darling as well.

I think when you have a team and a player who are both advanced stats darlings, but historically struggle to get the kind of results they "should", it's a pretty good indicator that maybe advanced stats don't mean as much as you think they do.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I’m 21 years old, and I can play center. Do you want to sign me?

You probably don’t, and that’s because I would get absolutely eaten alive playing center at the NHL level. But Victor Rask also gets absolutely eaten alive at the NHL level. My youth isn’t relevant enough to make you ignore that, so why is Victor Rask’s youth relevant?

I feel like you're ignoring the fact that Minnesota has one regular center under age 30, and you're also ignoring the fact that Rask is significantly better than you at hockey. Maybe I should rephrase. Which young center who is better than Rask is available for a 7th round pick or for free?

I would rather trade Boo Nieves for a 7th round pick instead of Rask

Thank you for providing a name. I think you can certainly make the argument that Nieves is a better value than Rask, but I think it's clear the Wild are hoping a change of scenery brings Rask back to his previous level. A bit like swinging for the fences instead of going for a grounder and a base. In any case, my point was that I think there are fewer centers with Rask's upside and age than the guy I quoted seems to believe.

I'm not saying the Wild made a good trade (I don't think they did, but I think that's also on Nino tanking his own value with his play), but they made a better one than some people are claiming. I've seen some people painting Nino as horrible, or amazing, cherry picking stats. He's in the middle, honestly. A bit overpaid, but decent. I've seen the same happening here with Rask. In the end, who cares? Both teams needed a change, both players needed a change, let's see if the change works.

Reactions: Olcoach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad