Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes sign Priskie to ELC (2 years, $925k AAV, 2-way)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
@Boom Boom Apathy

I get what you guys are saying, but then the exact same could be said for Washington. It's even probable that a spot opens up as soon as this year, if they move Gudas for cap reasons for example. The opportunity in Carolina, is no better than it was in Washington, perhaps even more challenging.... if you take his reasoning, as I had posted, at face value. I'm not saying there isn't long-term opportunity with Carolina, just that it doesn't appear to be any better than what was in Washington.
^^^ This ^^^

Caps have LD depth in spades. Kempny, Orlov, Siegenthaler, Djoos with NHL experience, and lots of prospects (Alexeyev, Fehervary, Johansen, etc)

RD? Not so much. Sure, Carlson....but then it’s not exactly a murderers row....I like Nick Jensen, but he’s not a lock for anything other than top 6. Gudas is an impending UFA. There’s nothing in the cupboard either.

It’s a bunk argument now what’s he’s signed w Carolina. BS he’s got a clearer path. Total BS

Now if he was a winger, then sure. But he’s not

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I realize that I might be biased around a trade so I asked myself what I'd give up to get McKeown if he was in another organization and the Canes were really shallow on the right side. Based on what he's done in Charlotte, I'd easily give up a 3rd rounder and possibly more. Of course I could be wrong; it looks like we'll find out shortly.
Collin Miller is worth 2nd and 5th and you would give up a 3rd and possibly more for a player team has no choice but waive (basically) otherwise? Shades of Paul Fenton.

But that aside, has there ever been a trade where a similar prospect would get that kind of return? Guy has 10 games in the NHL so he isn't any kind of known commodity. And Canes are being pressed by their roster construction to do something with him. Decent young NHL players like Erne are going for a 4th so as I said, a realistic value for a guy who hasn't proven anything yet at the NHL level should be 5th rounder tops.

Reactions: Ciao

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I get that, but none of us know what his motivation is. He's 23 years old and the Caps consist of:

Ovi: 33
Oshi: 32
Backstrom: 31
Hagelin, Eller: 30
Holtby, Carlsson, Gudas, Dowd: 29
Panik, Orlov, Kempny, Jensen: 28
Kuznetsov, Hathaway: 27
Wilson, Djoos: 25
Siegenthaler, Vrana: 23

Now look at Carolina:
Staal: 30
Haula, TVR: 28
Dzingel, Martinook, Mrazek, Faulk: 27
Nino, Hamilton: 26
McGinn, Slavin: 25
Teravainen, Pesce: 24
Foegele, Wallmark, Fleury, Forsling: 23
Aho: 22
Necas, Bean: 20
Svechnikov: 19

Canes are a decidedly younger team who's best players are 25 and under. Maybe his thought is that the Canes are a young and up and coming team so it's better to sign on with a team that he feels is young, exciting and on the rise vs. one that is veteran and will try to win a cup in the next couple years, but will be a very different team in a few years.

I’m sorry, but this makes little sense. No offense to you.

He had a chance to get some real ice time — this year — if one of the 3 RD gets hurt. As you said, he’s 23, so he will be a UFA very soon. 2 yr ELC, 2 yrs bridge deal. By the time the Caps start to decline (assuming they even do, as they have a great GM), he will be a UFA.

So he’d have a couple of legitimate cracks at getting his name on the Cup, and then go wherever he wanted too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m sorry, but this makes little sense. No offense to you.

He had a chance to get some real ice time — this year — if one of the 3 RD gets hurt. As you said, he’s 23, so he will be a UFA very soon. 2 yr ELC, 2 yrs bridge deal. By the time the Caps start to decline (assuming they even do, as they have a great GM), he will be a UFA.

So he’d have a couple of legitimate cracks at getting his name on the Cup, and then go wherever he wanted too.
I’m sorry? No offense?

You forgot “I don’t mean to be rude”, “just sayin”, and “bless your heart”. :sarcasm:

If one of the Canes 3 RHD gets hurt (Pesce plays on the left side right now) he has a chance at real ice time as well. TVR is coming off of shoulder surgery as well. Not to mention Faulk and TVR are ufas in a year leaving more room. He just has to earn it.

And the team he joined just knocked off the Caps in the playoffs, made it to the ECF and was one of the youngest teams in the league.

So while this makes little sense to you, it clearly made a lot of sense to him;)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
? Canes made the ECF with their top forwards being 21, 24, and 18. And added a couple more this offseason. They should be fine, thanks for your concern
Yeah because progress is always linear. They have hardly added anything.

Much better teams in the East.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah because progress is always linear. They have hardly added anything.

Much better teams in the East.
In fairness, playoff teams don’t usually add much.

Bos, Pitt, CLB, Wsh, NYI, TBL have pretty much stayed the same or lost guys.

Tor added Barrie and Kerfoot, but lost Kadri, Gardiner, Brown, Marleau as well as Marner not being signed.

Canes were one of the youngest teams in the league and lost Ferland, but added Haula and Dzingel and get Nino for a full year. Probably improved a little more than most eastern playoff teams, particularly if Williams returns.

Non playoff teams clearly made more improvement, but it’s because they had to. Going to be tough to make the playoffs in the east and Canes aren’t a given by any means. I think goaltending will be key.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Collin Miller is worth 2nd and 5th and you would give up a 3rd and possibly more for a player team has no choice but waive (basically) otherwise? Shades of Paul Fenton.

But that aside, has there ever been a trade where a similar prospect would get that kind of return? Guy has 10 games in the NHL so he isn't any kind of known commodity. And Canes are being pressed by their roster construction to do something with him. Decent young NHL players like Erne are going for a 4th so as I said, a realistic value for a guy who hasn't proven anything yet at the NHL level should be 5th rounder tops.

Pretty sure his value is gong to be set by other teams needs rather than where he fits in on the Canes. It's not like he's got a NTC contract where the Canes can only deal with 1 or 2 teams who could hold them hostage (see Skinner, Jeff). And Priskie signed a 2-way contract, so there's still the possibility of McKeown starting in Raleigh and Priskie in Charlotte.

Sure, McKeown is unproven at the NHL level. But his progression and success in the AHL leaves a lot more known about him than the 18 year olds who will be available by the time the 3rd round (or later) hits. How highly do YOU value a 3rd round pick? And what do you think are realistic expectations for a 3rd or 4th round kid? I'd say that they're more of a crap shoot than McKeown.

What's cool is that there's a decent chance that we actually get an answer to what McKeown is worth within the next month or so.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
^^^ This ^^^

Caps have LD depth in spades. Kempny, Orlov, Siegenthaler, Djoos with NHL experience, and lots of prospects (Alexeyev, Fehervary, Johansen, etc)

RD? Or so much. Sure, Carlson....but then it’s not exactly a murderers row....I like Nick Jensen, but he’s not a lock for anything other than top 6. Gudas is an impending UFA. There’s nothing in the cupboard either.

It’s a bunk argument now what’s he’s signed w Carolina. BS he’s got a clearer path. Total BS

Now if he was a winger, then sure. But he’s not
You seem pretty worked up about this.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
congrats, Canes!

you think he might see solid RDs immediately ahead of him, and have opted for the other direction.

That said, CAR is a solid if not first rate org esp for Ds.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Pretty sure his value is gong to be set by other teams needs rather than where he fits in on the Canes. It's not like he's got a NTC contract where the Canes can only deal with 1 or 2 teams who could hold them hostage (see Skinner, Jeff). And Priskie signed a 2-way contract, so there's still the possibility of McKeown starting in Raleigh and Priskie in Charlotte.

Sure, McKeown is unproven at the NHL level. But his progression and success in the AHL leaves a lot more known about him than the 18 year olds who will be available by the time the 3rd round (or later) hits. How highly do YOU value a 3rd round pick? And what do you think are realistic expectations for a 3rd or 4th round kid? I'd say that they're more of a crap shoot than McKeown.

What's cool is that there's a decent chance that we actually get an answer to what McKeown is worth within the next month or so.

Priskie starting his career in Charlotte is a very sensible idea to me but it kinda sidetracks our discussion.

The thing is, we have a long history of similar situations to look back to and like I said, was there any similar prospect traded for that much? Highest I remember was Filatov getting a 3rd but he was 7th pick and Russian wonder child for quite awhile there.

And draft picks are trickier than that. Obviously, it's easier to project 23-year-old than 18-year-old but 1) draft pick gives the team a chance to strike gold, to draft Johnny Gaudreau at #104; 2) it gives them almost complete cost-control of a player as well as complete flexibility what to do with him avoiding the very situation McKeown is in now; 3) most 3rd - 4th picks manage to reach the AHL so the real difference between him and the potential pick is only how good of an NHL you think McKeown becomes. At this point, he is what most 3rd - 4th round picks are minus the 1) and 2) benefits.

So if you want to give up 3rd round pick you must think there is a real chance he ends up as a mid-pair NHL D.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I was surprised at Priske's decision to go with the Canes, but maybe that's because I was looking at it from an "Adam Fox-ish" perspective. Fox said he wanted to get to the NHL as quickly as possible. That didn't look like it would be with the Canes and he forced a trade. But what if the conversation between the Canes and Priske went something along the lines of :

"We really want you, so much so that we were the only team talking to the Caps about acquiring your rights even before you went UFA [I think that was the case]. But we're not going to rush you into the NHL, which more often than not has negative results. We'd rather develop you for the long term. We see you starting out in Charlotte and working on becoming a PP quarterback at the pro level, which just happens to be one of our biggest needs. There's a good chance that we'll have at least one, if not two right side defensive slots opening up next season, if not before, and we anticipate that you'll be ready to grab one of them. You'll have to earn a spot, but we've proven that we can develop defensemen and we'll do everything in our power to help you succeed. We think you have the potential to be a long term defensive fixture for the Canes along with players like Slavin and Pesce."

Most kids want to get there as quickly as possible, but that's often not the smartest move. Maybe this is just a smart kid when it comes to developing his career?

Side note: the fact that the Canes are one of the youngest teams in the league and that the kid would likely fit in quite well here couldn't have hurt. Neither can the fact that he can develop without the pressure that comes with many of the big market teams. And the Canes are up and coming competitively. Plus, of course, the Storm Surge, lol. :handclap:

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Priskie starting his career in Charlotte is a very sensible idea to me but it kinda sidetracks our discussion.

The thing is, we have a long history of similar situations to look back to and like I said, was there any similar prospect traded for that much? Highest I remember was Filatov getting a 3rd but he was 7th pick and Russian wonder child for quite awhile there.

And draft picks are trickier than that. Obviously, it's easier to project 23-year-old than 18-year-old but 1) draft pick gives the team a chance to strike gold, to draft Johnny Gaudreau at #104; 2) it gives them almost complete cost-control of a player as well as complete flexibility what to do with him avoiding the very situation McKeown is in now; 3) most 3rd - 4th picks manage to reach the AHL so the real difference between him and the potential pick is only how good of an NHL you think McKeown becomes. At this point, he is what most 3rd - 4th round picks are minus the 1) and 2) benefits.

So if you want to give up 3rd round pick you must think there is a real chance he ends up as a mid-pair NHL D.

McKeown didn't just reach the AHL, he excelled in Charlotte last season. I know the +- stat is crude and flawed, but I think it can be of some use if taken in context (i.e., within a team and over a decent period of time). Since I don't have access to better advanced stats I'm stuck with the fact that McKeown led the Checkers at a +30 last season and was second at +34 the year before.

But you hit the nail on the head in your last sentence
; I do think that McKeown has a realistic chance of ending up as a mid-pair NHL D-man, although maybe not with the Canes, who have one of the deepest defenses in the league. Or, at least a solid long term 3rd pair (ala TVMFR :D ). And I value even the latter at more than a typical 3rd or 4th round draft pick, even when you factor in the contract stuff. Now don't get me wrong, I loves me some lottery tickets, but I'm going to play them for fun. Given the choice of what I see as likely a solid NHL player and a lottery ticket that has a very slim chance of returning a star, I'll take the solid player.

edit: I also see the fact that he's a right D-man as adding to his value. Heck, they seem to be in such short supply that even Ryan Murphy got NHL ice time last year, lol.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The rest of the league knows that McKeown will have to pass through waivers to play in the AHL. If Williams decides to come back, it will probably be on a 35+ bonus deal that pushes some cap to 20-21. Holding on to McKeown as a spare body to avoid losing him for little to no value would effectively cost the team cap space next year.

The league is going to squeeze. I'd be happy if they got any draft pick at all.

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The rest of the league knows that McKeown will have to pass through waivers to play in the AHL. If Williams decides to come back, it will probably be on a 35+ bonus deal that pushes some cap to 20-21. Holding on to McKeown as a spare body to avoid losing him for little to no value would effectively cost the team cap space next year.

The league is going to squeeze. I'd be happy if they got any draft pick at all.

I don't know how many teams would be interested in McKeown, but I suspect there would be several. In which case I can't see the Canes getting squeezed because that only helps the team that finished lowest last year. Higher finishing teams know they'll likely have to pay to play, and I can't see them passing on someone they're interested in just to a ) help out the lowest team or to b ) screw the Canes. Obviously all of this is speculation on my part; the case of Roland McKeown this summer will be interesting.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't know how many teams would be interested in McKeown, but I suspect there would be several. In which case I can't see the Canes getting squeezed because that only helps the team that finished lowest last year. Higher finishing teams know they'll likely have to pay to play, and I can't see them passing on someone they're interested in just to a ) help out the lowest team or to b ) screw the Canes. Obviously all of this is speculation on my part; the case of Roland McKeown this summer will be interesting.
Saarela in his recent Finnish interview let on that players at Charlotte generally weren't especially impressed on that there wasn't call-ups to NHL last season, and that they had to watch "sub 20 goals" guys at other organizations getting call-ups.

Saarela asked for a trade, we don't know if something similar was going on with McKeown. It's not impossible Canes are keeping doors open for some late trade with their perceived richness in D.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Saarela in his recent Finnish interview let on that players at Charlotte generally weren't especially impressed on that there wasn't call-ups to NHL last season, and that they had to watch "sub 20 goals" guys at other organizations getting call-ups.

Saarela asked for a trade, we don't know if something similar was going on with McKeown. It's not impossible Canes are keeping doors open for some late trade with their perceived richness in D.

Last season the Canes were incredibly lucky when it came to injuries. There really wasn't much opportunity for call ups. and on the rare occasion they did happen the Canes brought up physical "4th line" players like McKegg, Bishop, and Mäenalanen rather than a player like Saarela, a successful sniper in the AHL but completely unproven at the NHL level. And Saarela is far from the prototypical two-way forward that fits the style that Brind'Amour has the Canes playing.

So the players in Charlotte were generally correct, but I think it had more to do with a lack of injuries than an organizational philosophy. And while the Canes aren't stacked like some other teams when it comes to "top level" talent, they are pretty deep, so opportunities look to perhaps be more limited going forward than some other teams, as well. From a fan's perspective, it's a nice problem to have. :thumbu:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You seem pretty worked up about this.

LOL. I see.

So when someone points out the flaws in your argument, they are “pretty worked up”.

I don’t know you from Adam, so maybe in your world, a calm measured disagreement = “pretty worked up”. So I can’t really quantify this.

I’m very calm and chill, when it comes to the Caps. When I read BS, I just call the BS. Least from where I sit, that is my opinion.

Thanks for caring though.

Reactions: Ciao

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Last season the Canes were incredibly lucky when it came to injuries. There really wasn't much opportunity for call ups. and on the rare occasion they did happen the Canes brought up physical "4th line" players like McKegg, Bishop, and Mäenalanen rather than a player like Saarela, a successful sniper in the AHL but completely unproven at the NHL level. And Saarela is far from the prototypical two-way forward that fits the style that Brind'Amour has the Canes playing.

So the players in Charlotte were generally correct, but I think it had more to do with a lack of injuries than an organizational philosophy. And while the Canes aren't stacked like some other teams when it comes to "top level" talent, they are pretty deep, so opportunities look to perhaps be more limited going forward than some other teams, as well. From a fan's perspective, it's a nice problem to have. :thumbu:
But it's a horrible problem if you're a prospect on a two-way contract seeing yourself as at least mid-6/mid-pair, and the team has healthy young roster with bordering-on-elite young core on bargain deals. The depth in pipeline really becomes an insult to the injury for you.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’m sorry? No offense?

You forgot “I don’t mean to be rude”, “just sayin”, and “bless your heart”. :sarcasm:

If one of the Canes 3 RHD gets hurt (Pesce plays on the left side right now) he has a chance at real ice time as well. TVR is coming off of shoulder surgery as well. Not to mention Faulk and TVR are ufas in a year leaving more room. He just has to earn it.

And the team he joined just knocked off the Caps in the playoffs, made it to the ECF and was one of the youngest teams in the league.

So while this makes little sense to you, it clearly made a lot of sense to him;)

I knew Canes fans would thump their chests over beating the Caps. Hurrah. You earned it. We will see what this year brings.

Look, it’s fine that Priskie chose to sign elsewhere, I dont have issue with it. I just don’t care for his “it’s not you, it’s me” BS for leaving the organization. He simply did not follow through with he reasoning. If he didn’t want to sign with them, no worries, I get it. But man up and just say it....instead of some BS story about having his path blocked.

Even your own Canes fans think it’s a bunk reason.

So again, your comments don’t make any sense. At all. Sure, Priskie wanted to sign in Carolina. Again, hurrah for him. But let’s not pretend it’s because the Canes are some easy mark to a top 6 slot, or that the Caps are some downtrodden team in their way to the bottom of the standings. All of that is crap....and total conjecture on your part.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
EDIT: NVM, not worth continuing the discussion. Priskie obviously thought it made more sense to sign in Carolina so anything else is purely conjecture.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

But it's a horrible problem if you're a prospect on a two-way contract seeing yourself as at least mid-6/mid-pair, and the team has healthy young roster with bordering-on-elite young core on bargain deals. The depth in pipeline really becomes an insult to the injury for you.

Can't disagree with you on that front. Fortunately the league is structured so that eventually young players like Saarela, Roy, and even McKeown will get a chance somewhere, one way or another.

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad