Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes sign Priskie to ELC (2 years, $925k AAV, 2-way)

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Like I said, no chance he'd sign with a Canadian team...and it'd most likely be a southern east coast team.

And I got a new *** chewed. Lol.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does anyone have some actual scouting on this guy. Can’t get much out of the YouTube videos. His skating looks a little sluggish to me, but I often find that it looks that way on ncaa highlights. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Sounds like he’s more of a “join the rush” type of offensive defenseman?

I still say he starts in the AHL and will have to earn a spot. Next year with TVR and Faulk both being UFAs, the right side is kind of wide open if they keep Pesce on the left.

Glad he signed with us but not getting too excited by it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Like I said, no chance he'd sign with a Canadian team...and it'd most likely be a southern east coast team.

Just because he didn't sign with a Canadian team doesn't mean there was no chance. No one should have chewed you a new though.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Does anyone have some actual scouting on this guy. Can’t get much out of the YouTube videos. His skating looks a little sluggish to me, but I often find that it looks that way on ncaa highlights. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Sounds like he’s more of a “join the rush” type of offensive defenseman?

I still say he starts in the AHL and will have to earn a spot. Next year with TVR and Faulk both being UFAs, the right side is kind of wide open if they keep Pesce on the left.

Glad he signed with us but not getting too excited by it.

Two thoughts:
  1. We don't have any scouting info, but the Canes were targeting this guy when the Caps still held his rights. And the Canes do have good scouting info, so . . .
  2. The fact that he picked the Canes is almost as exciting to me as having him. That's a very positive sign regarding the state of the organization, imo.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Two thoughts:
  1. We don't have any scouting info, but the Canes were targeting this guy when the Caps still held his rights. And the Canes do have good scouting info, so . . .
  2. The fact that he picked the Canes is almost as exciting to me as having him. That's a very positive sign regarding the state of the organization, imo.

Oh, I'm glad he picked us also and glad the team is seen as a place where guys like that want to go. What I meant was that a lot of these highly sought after later round college UFAs don't end up being as good as the hype surrounding them. Maybe he is one that does live up to it, but I'm don't have expectations one way or another.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He picked us for a reason, and I doubt it’s because we’re so much better a choice than the competition. We promised him something others didn’t, doesn’t necessarily make us that much higher in status than we were. We’ve had relatively popular college ufa’s sign with us when we sucked.

BBA and I have been of the same mind on this one. His skating looks decent when he’s attacking forward but otherwise he’s pretty stiff looking and I didn’t see a lot of excellent defensive play in what I can see. I think he’s raw and will be fighting for the sixth spot with others, likely to start in the AHL.

Based on what I’ve seen I could see nhl forwards blowing by him to the outside. Such a small sample to judge by, that’s what camp is for. Glad he signed with us but I don’t by any means assume this is a game changer. He’s depth.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The rich get richer on defence :( Was hoping he'd go to Florida. At least he's not with the Rags.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sure his value is gong to be set by other teams needs rather than where he fits in on the Canes. It's not like he's got a NTC contract where the Canes can only deal with 1 or 2 teams who could hold them hostage (see Skinner, Jeff). And Priskie signed a 2-way contract, so there's still the possibility of McKeown starting in Raleigh and Priskie in Charlotte.

Sure, McKeown is unproven at the NHL level. But his progression and success in the AHL leaves a lot more known about him than the 18 year olds who will be available by the time the 3rd round (or later) hits. How highly do YOU value a 3rd round pick? And what do you think are realistic expectations for a 3rd or 4th round kid? I'd say that they're more of a crap shoot than McKeown.

What's cool is that there's a decent chance that we actually get an answer to what McKeown is worth within the next month or so.
McKeown has a lower ceiling and fewer development options than a third-round pick.

At his age and experience he either has to make it in the bigs or clear waivers now.

A team that trades a third could lose McKeown to waivers and go on to see their traded pick become Colton Parayko. If McKeown clears waivers the comparison is even worse.

NHL regulars aren't usually languishing so long post-draft.

I would take my chances with the third-round pick.

Waiver-foďder rarely brings that much in return.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
McKeown has a lower ceiling and fewer development options than a third-round pick.

At his age and experience he either has to make it in the bigs or clear waivers now.

A team that trades a third could lose McKeown to waivers and go on to see their traded pick become Colton Parayko. If McKeown clears waivers the comparison is even worse.

NHL regulars aren't usually languishing so long post-draft.

I would take my chances with the third-round pick.

Waiver-foďder rarely brings that much in return.

I read that only 30% of 3rd round picks make the NHL. I'm of the opinion that McKeown has a better chance than that. You can say he has a lower ceiling than a 3rd round pick, but doesn't that kind of count on hitting a winning raffle ticket with a 3rd rounder? And given that McKeown has been successful in his development so far, wouldn't that also indicate that he has a higher floor than the average 3rd round pick, many of who stumble by this point?

Sure, a team that trades a third could lose McKeown to waivers and go on to see their traded pick become Colton Parayko. Or, they could see McKeown become a 2nd pair NHL d-man and that 3rd round pick max out as an AHL journeyman.

Now, if he was a forward I would be less optimistic, but I'm of the opinion that defensemen take longer to develop than forwards. Given his lack of opportunity so far, I don't have as much of a problem with where McKeown currently is as many on here. Hey, I could be wrong, we'll see.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I read that only 30% of 3rd round picks make the NHL. I'm of the opinion that McKeown has a better chance than that. You can say he has a lower ceiling than a 3rd round pick, but doesn't that kind of count on hitting a winning raffle ticket with a 3rd rounder? And given that McKeown has been successful in his development so far, wouldn't that also indicate that he has a higher floor than the average 3rd round pick, many of who stumble by this point?

Sure, a team that trades a third could lose McKeown to waivers and go on to see their traded pick become Colton Parayko. Or, they could see McKeown become a 2nd pair NHL d-man and that 3rd round pick max out as an AHL journeyman.

Now, if he was a forward I would be less optimistic, but I'm of the opinion that defensemen take longer to develop than forwards. Given his lack of opportunity so far, I don't have as much of a problem with where McKeown currently is as many on here. Hey, I could be wrong, we'll see.
McKeown has a much higher floor than a third- round pick, for sure: he's a good minor-league pro who's run out of waiver exemptions and hasn't made it to the NHL.

That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Two thoughts:
  1. We don't have any scouting info, but the Canes were targeting this guy when the Caps still held his rights.

I am not sure what targeting means in this case. Sure there was a rumor that the Canes talked to the Caps about him, but clearly they offered nothing of value. The rumor had them the only team that kicked the tires but that isnt really an endorsement of the player.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I am not sure what targeting means in this case. Sure there was a rumor that the Canes talked to the Caps about him, but clearly they offered nothing of value. The rumor had them the only team that kicked the tires but that isnt really an endorsement of the player.

Yeah, they showed interest, but who is to say that other teams didn't do the same, but it wasn't made public. Unlike when Francis was GM and information rarely, if ever became public, this management group seems to enjoy when information leaks out.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
No one mentioning he signed with a RIVAL team. Should make for some good games when the caps and canes play.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Why would the Canes go to the trouble of kicking the tires on the kid if they weren't interested in him? And why would they be interested in him if they didn't think he had potential? Unless the kid is Dundon's nephew or something, that seems like an endorsement to me

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No one mentioning he signed with a RIVAL team. Should make for some good games when the caps and canes play.

Would love to see that rivalry with the Caps reignited, it had pretty much gone away for a while.

Smarter people than me have talked about Priskie's defense not being impressive, and I won't try to pretend I know more about it than them, but from watching some video I like his composure in his own end. He doesn't try to be a hero. A lot of guys screw up trying to do too much, get the big clear or otherwise trying to make a play that takes a half-second more than the time they have. He moves the puck up to the next guy and has at least an awareness of what's going on behind him. I think he fits in really well with what the Canes try to do defensively, which is chaining one little play after another to get possession back instead of counting on heroics and diving blocked shots and all that. It's a little robotic (says the guy with a robot avatar) but it fits in the team concept. I see a little Slavin in him. Probably the poor man's, more offensively-oriented, 3rd pair Slavin, but there's an efficiency of body movement and stick/positional tendency that reminds me of Slavin, a lot.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why would the Canes go to the trouble of kicking the tires on the kid if they weren't interested in him? And why would they be interested in him if they didn't think he had potential? Unless the kid is Dundon's nephew or something, that seems like an endorsement to me

As is often the case, its a matter of degrees. How much interest and how much potential. That no one else in the league showed any interest is something of an indicator. Don't you think?

BTW. We know nothing about the tire kicking. GM calls rarely are focused on one issue and Priskie may well have been a passing, "whats up with him" conversation.

The only scenario that I see where the league isn't interested in him and the Caps couldn't get anything for his rights and its a positive that Carolina got him is that the kid's agent made it clear up front that he wanted to play in Carolina and wasn't entertaining offers from the Capitals or anyone else.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Confirmation bias at its finest.

Just because he didn’t pick a Canadian team does not mean there was no chance.

I didn’t pick Nashville to live in, doesn’t mean there was no chance I would do so.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh. Canes and Caps have been on the same division forever, but they’re not particularly big rivals. They’re rarely good at the same time, so 2019 was their first playoff meeting. Carolina is maybe Washington’s fourth or fifth biggest rival. Not particularly high on the totem pole.

Reactions: DaveG

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Canes oddly enough was a good choice because they shocked NHL last playoffs. Would not be surprised if they won a cup in next few years.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
McKeown has a much higher floor than a third- round pick, for sure: he's a good minor-league pro who's run out of waiver exemptions and hasn't made it to the NHL.

That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.
Any other team and he’d have had his chance a couple of years ago. Last season Fleury got dropped to the minors, after a rookie season that broke him in as a full time NHL’er. Not because he did a single thing wrong, but because we had added defenseman when we already enough for many teams. Not often you see a guy Fleury’s age get his development hijacked because his first year coach publicly says TVR is a vet and that means he wins the battle for the last spot.

To finish that choice off Rod moved TVR to the left side, and that’s how many RD we have. Pesce now plays on the left side since he handles it better. Four full time NHL RD.

Mckeown is obviously a righty, who sits behind TVR....and for obvious reasons also Fleury. One of the reasons DeHaan got traded was this issue so now Fleury can fight for a spot he already won two years ago.

Mckeown played well enough two years ago to have a long term audition to play in the NHL. We’ve been a unique team for defense. He’s worth a pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah for whatever reason any time the Canes have been on the up swing the Caps have been on the down swing and vice versa. 2001, 2009, and 2019 have been the only times in the 21 seasons the Canes have been here that both made the playoffs iirc. And this year the first time they played each other in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tryamw

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
As is often the case, its a matter of degrees. How much interest and how much potential. That no one else in the league showed any interest is something of an indicator. Don't you think?

BTW. We know nothing about the tire kicking. GM calls rarely are focused on one issue and Priskie may well have been a passing, "whats up with him" conversation.

The only scenario that I see where the league isn't interested in him and the Caps couldn't get anything for his rights and its a positive that Carolina got him is that the kid's agent made it clear up front that he wanted to play in Carolina and wasn't entertaining offers from the Capitals or anyone else.

You're right, it's a matter of degree and interpretation. Maybe I'm reading more positive into it given that Priske signed with my team. I'm assuming you're a Caps fan; any chance that your interpretation might be influenced a bit by the "sour grapes" principle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad