Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes sign Priskie to ELC (2 years, $925k AAV, 2-way)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Meh. Canes and Caps have been on the same division forever, but they’re not particularly big rivals. They’re rarely good at the same time, so 2019 was their first playoff meeting. Carolina is maybe Washington’s fourth or fifth biggest rival. Not particularly high on the totem pole.
Still you guys just had an amazing 7 game series. It can be a good competitive rivalry going forward and not some rivalry built off brawls or cheap shots. Also Ovi rocking Svechnikov's lights out was a big moment in the series. A player turning down a team.and signing with a geographically close team as well and now we might be on to something at least.

Reactions: mattihp

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You're right, it's a matter of degree and interpretation. Maybe I'm reading more positive into it given that Priske signed with my team. I'm assuming you're a Caps fan; any chance that your interpretation might be influenced a bit by the "sour grapes" principle?

Oddly, I am a Capitals fan in NC that is generally close to the Canes. From what I saw no other NHL team made a serious run at signing him. Maybe his agent told the Caps that his intent was to sign with Carolina long ago and that information was also circulated throughout the league. Players sometimes have places they want to be. I thought his intent with not signing in Washington was a guaranteed top 6 spot to play in the NHL. That isn't the case with the Hurricanes. So, who knows.

Reactions: DaveG

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’ll preface this with saying I’m a little bitter he left the Caps organization but I just don’t fully understand the move. He pretty much had the exact same situation with Washington, who more likely than not walks away from Gudas next offseason for monetary reasons.

Probably believes that the Canes have a brighter future.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You implied you had more knowledge than you had (per usual). I'll call you on it when you do it.

That's totally in your head. Implications are stuff that you read between the lines. I think the word maybe and the phrase who knows are key here. I suggested some analysis. If you don't think it sounds possible, that's ok. This is a posting board.

I have worked in the hockey media. I have and have had friends that work in the league and so I know a few things that are generally misconceptions. One of which being that most NHL GMs have regular conversations with the other GMs whey they talk about a wide range of players, most of which are not available. Carolina talking about Priskie could have been anything from "whats that kids story?" to "We'd like him. What do you want if we want his rights ahead of time?". I have no idea what they talked about, if they talked at all.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's totally in your head. Implications are stuff that you read between the lines. I think the word maybe and the phrase who knows are key here. I suggested some analysis. If you don't think it sounds possible, that's ok. This is a posting board.

I have worked in the hockey media. I have and have had friends that work in the league and so I know a few things that are generally misconceptions. One of which being that most NHL GMs have regular conversations with the other GMs whey they talk about a wide range of players, most of which are not available. Carolina talking about Priskie could have been anything from "whats that kids story?" to "We'd like him. What do you want if we want his rights ahead of time?". I have no idea what they talked about, if they talked at all.
If you think this is in my head, then you truly don't understand how you came by the "txMD" nickname on HFCaps. You take little scraps of information and extrapolate them to mean something completely different, and then post it repeatedly as your narrative. Doing this with injuries is what gets you mocked at txMD. But you do it with everything, from interview clips from GMs/players to a tweets that the Canes asked about Priskie. You take little pieces of information and build a whole story around them, a story that isn't supported by anything beyond your own interpretation.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If you think this is in my head, then you truly don't understand how you came by the "txMD" nickname on HFCaps. You take little scraps of information and extrapolate them to mean something completely different, and then post it repeatedly as your narrative. Doing this with injuries is what gets you mocked at txMD. But you do it with everything, from interview clips from GMs/players to a tweets that the Canes asked about Priskie. You take little pieces of information and build a whole story around them, a story that isn't supported by anything beyond your own interpretation.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And this is classic @Hivemind. “No one knows more than I do...just ask me”. Very few enjoy a loftier statue in their own minds than you do.

Tex will stand up for his points with people, rather than hide behind the ignore button as soon as someone calls you out on your BS. You use that faster than you can pull out a box of Kleenex.

Nice job on airing the Caps boards dirty laundry to the mains. Thought you at least might hold up to that HF standard.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And this is classic @Hivemind. “No one knows more than I do...just ask me”. Very few enjoy a loftier statue in their own minds than you do.

Tex will stand up for his points with people, rather than hide behind the ignore button as soon as someone calls you out on your BS. You use that faster than you can pull out a box of Kleenex.

Nice job on airing the Caps boards dirty laundry to the mains. Thought you at least might hold up to that HF standard.

hmmmm

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I seem to remember a bunch of Canes fans who were really testy about Adam Fox potentially going UFA. Interesting to see the change of heart when they sign Priskie.

Good signing by Carolina. And, as I have repeatedly said, a proper use of the CBA by Priskie to go where he wanted after fulfilling his obligations as a Caps draft pick.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I seem to remember a bunch of Canes fans who were really testy about Adam Fox potentially going UFA. Interesting to see the change of heart when they sign Priskie.

Oh well, he chose to return to school and finish it. Harvard, so can hardly blame him.

Can't wait to see where he will sign next year when he graduates and becomes UFA.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Good signing by Carolina. And, as I have repeatedly said, a proper use of the CBA by Priskie to go where he wanted after fulfilling his obligations as a Caps draft pick.
As one of the Canes fans who was testy, it wasn’t anything to do with the fact he chose that - only that we traded valuable pieces for maybe’s like Ferland and Fox. We were told he was going to the Rangers the whole time and traded for him anyways, that was really frustrating.

Losing a player this way is rough but I get it’s the players right. I’m not convinced Priskie is ready for the nhl or that high level a prospect yet anyways to be honest. Many college guys like this become much ado about nothing regardless.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A player turning down a team.and signing with a geographically close team as well and now we might be on to something at least.
That will only move the needle if he becomes a player. We'll see. DiPauli did nothing to amp up the Pittsburgh rivalry. Priskie is a higher order prospect but IMO a notch below Adam Fox and initially is likely to have some defensive warts to progress through. He could provide some PP value at least and could be protected enough to work through his shortcomings in his own end perhaps. But like the majority of D prospects he's probably going to need AHL time.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As one of the Canes fans who was testy, it wasn’t anything to do with the fact he chose that - only that we traded valuable pieces for maybe’s like Ferland and Fox. We were told he was going to the Rangers the whole time and traded for him anyways, that was really frustrating.

Losing a player this way is rough but I get it’s the players right. I’m not convinced Priskie is ready for the nhl or that high level a prospect yet anyways to be honest. Many college guys like this become much ado about nothing regardless.

Right, but the entire issue I had is that there was such a lack of understanding why the rules are what they are. The silence was pretty deafening to me.

Either way, this is a nice consolation for you. You can look at it as getting Priskie and a pick for Fox.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Right, but the entire issue I had is that there was such a lack of understanding why the rules are what they are. The silence was pretty deafening to me.

The rules are to give the draft-related UFA status to a player who graduates from his college. A non-college North American player who gets drafted twice and holds out for four years gets the same status, as does an European-drafted player after holding out for four years after his singular Draft.

Fox didn't hold out for four years; he got signed to a team of his own choosing, NYR, at the spring of his third year when it became obvious to the team holding his rights, CAR, that their options are either to watch him walk for nothing after four years or try to recover some asset by trading him to NYR.

Fox didn't gracefully opt to use a CBA-given right of his in fullness of time; he kind of forced himself early into the League to a team of his own choosing disregarding the Entry Draft system and reportedly was less than perfectly honest while doing that.

Obviously your mileage may vary on what your opinion on the fairness of the Entry Draft system is; it's hard to argue against if you think it's sports teams owned by millionaires dividing the markets of upcoming 18 year old players without them having any say on it. If so, it's hard to blame Fox and you rather should commend him.

I assume the consensus on the F26 is that we all wish him the best for the thirty games it takes to secure us the NYR 3rd. After that opinions may vary on how hard we want him to fall off the cliff.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The rules are to give the draft-related UFA status to a player who graduates from his college. A non-college North American player who gets drafted twice and holds out for four years gets the same status, as does an European-drafted player after holding out for four years after his singular Draft.

Fox didn't hold out for four years; he got signed to a team of his own choosing, NYR, at the spring of his third year when it became obvious to the team holding his rights, CAR, that their options are either to watch him walk for nothing after four years or try to recover some asset by trading him to NYR.

Fox didn't gracefully opt to use a CBA-given right of his in fullness of time; he kind of forced himself early into the League to a team of his own choosing disregarding the Entry Draft system and reportedly was less than perfectly honest while doing that.

Obviously your mileage may vary on what your opinion on the fairness of the Entry Draft system is; it's hard to argue against if you think it's sports teams owned by millionaires dividing the markets of upcoming 18 year old players without them having any say on it. If so, it's hard to blame Fox and you rather should commend him.

I assume the consensus on the F26 is that we all wish him the best for the thirty games it takes to secure us the NYR 3rd. After that opinions may vary on how hard we want him to fall off the cliff.

There is literally no difference in the respective situations other than the Canes were smart enough to move Fox for some picks. That's really it. The two situations are identical otherwise.

Hence why the complaining about Fox was really quite funny, all things considered.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There is literally no difference in the respective situations other than the Canes were smart enough to move Fox for some picks. That's really it. The two situations are identical otherwise.

Hence why the complaining about Fox was really quite funny, all things considered.
Aren't they? It depends on the reasons why Don Waddell at one point very publicly assumed that they would 95 percent get Fox sign. You kind of assume that for such a high percentage there must have been some lead-on and indication from the player.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad