Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes sign Priskie to ELC (2 years, $925k AAV, 2-way)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
First, congrats to Carolina and their fans, for a good free wallet signing.

On Monday, Priskie met with his agent in New Jersey to weigh his options. Washington, the defending Stanley Cup champion, is loaded with high-level defensemen. Priskie felt another organization would allow a quicker path to a regular role.
He informed the Capitals on Tuesday he wouldn’t sign. He’s expected to draw heavy interest from interested parties around the league.
“Looking at the big picture, I felt going to free agency would best suit me and help me position myself into a top-6 role in the NHL,” Priskie said. “They’re very deep with great defensive prospects. It was something that I had the option to do, so I decided to go free agency.”

Somehow Carolina is an easier path to RD in the NHL, than Washington is? Personally, I don't see it, I see Carolina as an even harder road to the NHL.... Is there a team in the NHL that is deeper with RD? I think not.

I think the key here is that both Faulk and TVR have only 1 year left on their deals, Hamilton has 2 years left. I highly doubt both of TVR and Faulk are retained. There’s a long term spot to be had starting with the 20-21 season.

Additionally this year, with an injured TVR potentially not being ready for the season and with the likelihood of Pesce continuing to play on the left, Priskie could outright win the 3rd pair RD slot with a good camp.

Regardless of why he chose CAR, if he proves during camp he makes the Canes a better team (which he very well may with his PPQB skills) he’s going to be on the team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
First, congrats to Carolina and their fans, for a good free wallet signing.

On Monday, Priskie met with his agent in New Jersey to weigh his options. Washington, the defending Stanley Cup champion, is loaded with high-level defensemen. Priskie felt another organization would allow a quicker path to a regular role.
He informed the Capitals on Tuesday he wouldn’t sign. He’s expected to draw heavy interest from interested parties around the league.
“Looking at the big picture, I felt going to free agency would best suit me and help me position myself into a top-6 role in the NHL,” Priskie said. “They’re very deep with great defensive prospects. It was something that I had the option to do, so I decided to go free agency.”

Somehow Carolina is an easier path to RD in the NHL, than Washington is? Personally, I don't see it, I see Carolina as an even harder road to the NHL.... Is there a team in the NHL that is deeper with RD? I think not.

Yeah, what @spockjerk said.

TVR and Faulk are both only signed for 1 year. If any of Priskie, Bean, Fleury, Forsling (all of who are LHD except for Priskie) can show they are capable of a top 4 role, then the Canes will likely let both Faulk and TVR walk after their contracts expire. The only RHD with any sort of shot is McKeown, who shouldn't be difficult to beat out by Priskie and if he can't beat out McKeown, then he's not likely NHL ready. Hamilton is then a UFA the year after that, which is why the offers for Pesce never made much sense to Canes fans as he was the only RHD with more than 1-2 years of term left.

Latest news is that TVR is ahead of schedule on his recovery, has been cleared for skating, and "should" be ready to start the season, but he'll be held out of contact at the start of camp so you never know. Either way, the Canes have a 6 and 7 slot up for grabs this year (and maybe a 5 if TVR isn't ready) and likely a #4 and #5 spot up for grabs next year.

This year:

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce - Faulk
???? - TVR (who can also play on L side)
????

Next year:

Slavin-Hamilton
???? - Pesce
???? - ????
????

There are openings to be had both now and in a year. Thankfully, between Bean, Fleury, Forsling, Sellgren and Priskie, there's a good chance one or more of those guys can fill that role. If not, they will need to re-sign Faulk.

Reactions: Unsustainable

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Did he grow up a Carolina fan or something? He's from Florida, so Raleigh isn't too far from there, and went to school just outside Hartford (where the Hurricanes relocated from, though that was years and years before he went to university).

Just seems like an odd choice unless he had a personal reason to go there.

Ice-time? With Hamilton (RHD), Pesce (RHD), Faulk (RHD), TVR (RHD), Slavin, Fleury, Bean, etc, it seems like a hard team to crack the roster on.

Taxes? Carolina is on the lowish end for taxes, but not as low as Dallas, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Nashville, Arizona, Chicago, etc. So that doesn't look like the reason.

Stanley Cup? Carolina, while coming off a good season, isn't seen as a top top contender. If they missed the playoffs next year, nobody would be shocked. So he didn't sign somewhere to give him the best chance to win a Cup (not that he couldn't win one there).

Anyway, congrats to Carolina fans. He's a very solid zero-risk addition with good upside.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Did he grow up a Carolina fan or something? He's from Florida, so Raleigh isn't too far from there, and went to school just outside Hartford (where the Hurricanes relocated from, though that was years and years before he went to university).

Just seems like an odd choice unless he had a personal reason to go there.

Ice-time? With Hamilton (RHD), Pesce (RHD), Faulk (RHD), TVR (RHD), Slavin, Fleury, Bean, etc, it seems like a hard team to crack the roster on.

Taxes? Carolina is on the lowish end for taxes, but not as low as Dallas, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Nashville, Arizona, Chicago, etc. So that doesn't look like the reason.

Stanley Cup? Carolina, while coming off a good season, isn't seen as a top top contender. If they missed the playoffs next year, nobody would be shocked. So he didn't sign somewhere to give him the best chance to win a Cup (not that he couldn't win one there).

Anyway, congrats to Carolina fans. He's a very solid zero-risk addition with good upside.
We will see the smile on his face as he loses his Surge virginity, and we will Know.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the key here is that both Faulk and TVR have only 1 year left on their deals, Hamilton has 2 years left. I highly doubt both of TVR and Faulk are retained. There’s a long term spot to be had starting with the 20-21 season.

Additionally this year, with an injured TVR potentially not being ready for the season and with the likelihood of Pesce continuing to play on the left, Priskie could outright win the 3rd pair RD slot with a good camp.

Regardless of why he chose CAR, if he proves during camp he makes the Canes a better team (which he very well may with his PPQB skills) he’s going to be on the team.

@Boom Boom Apathy

I get what you guys are saying, but then the exact same could be said for Washington. It's even probable that a spot opens up as soon as this year, if they move Gudas for cap reasons for example. The opportunity in Carolina, is no better than it was in Washington, perhaps even more challenging.... if you take his reasoning, as I had posted, at face value. I'm not saying there isn't long-term opportunity with Carolina, just that it doesn't appear to be any better than what was in Washington.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Which raises the question: does this have any implications for RHD McKeown's future with the Canes? (still unsigned and will be subject to waivers). Canes need to sign and find a spot for him or trade him. Otherwise they're likely to lose him for nothing.

And how many teams have a first-team spot for him? We have all heard this so many times - "oh if he hits waivers he will get claimed" but it rarely ever happens. Guys who get claimed are mostly ones who played in the NHL already.

Considering in a trade you would get what, 5th round pick for him, at best, you might as well try to sneak him down to AHL for another year. If you waived him there is a 20% chance you will lose him for nothing, if you trade him there is 100% chance you will lose him for next to nothing.

Edit: well I guess it isn't 100% chance, it's 100% minus the chance the player you pick turns out to be good NHLer. 95% maybe.

Not... really. Canes gave him his Qualified Offer to retain his RFA rights, and assumable the QO expired on the standard date July 15 without him signing it. Courtesy of this Canes will retain his rights until he's eligible for UFA status in 2023.

Either he signs with Canes an SPC that can be anything up from league minimum (two-way), or he finds someone to offre hostile him, or he stays RFA, or Canes trade his rights.

Obviously he's not much of joy to anyone as an unsigned RFA, yes, but Canes aren't losing him (=his rights) anytime soon.

And yet they have Holzer, Hakanpaa and Del Zotto on 1-way contracts plus their own kids pushing for the spots. Taking McKeown would only make sense for them if they wanted to send Jacob Larsson down which is unlikely. Sure it can happen, I mean anything can happen, there are at least 10 teams that could claim him yet it rarely ever happens.

I'm pretty sure he had waivers in mind, not this whole shabang.

Yeah, I was refering to McKeown getting claimed off of waivers if exposed. He's a 23 yo, 2nd round, right handed defenseman who has developed very nicely at the AHL level but has had virtually no chance at NHL time due to Carolina's depth. How often does a player like that hit the waiver wire? I'm still of the belief that someone would pick him up, even if they view him as depth on the right side (or as a flier.) I guess we'll find out shortly, but I don't see the Canes taking the chance on losing the kid for no return.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I was refering to McKeown getting claimed off of waivers if exposed. He's a 23 yo, 2nd round, right handed defenseman who has developed very nicely at the AHL level but has had virtually no chance at NHL time due to Carolina's depth. How often does a player like that hit the waiver wire? I'm still of the belief that someone would pick him up, even if they view him as depth on the right side (or as a flier.) I guess we'll find out shortly, but I don't see the Canes taking the chance on losing the kid for no return.
I mean Toronto was almost in exact same situation with Carrick and he was worth conditional 7th in the end. So again, trading a player like that away basically means losing him for nothing. I mean if somebody offers a 4th rounder or something, sure, take it. But usually, the value isn't there.

If somebody picks him just because they can with no real role in mind there is a decent chance you can just re-claim him from waivers a month later. Again, the waivers aren't as easy as video games make them seem, those are real people involved, nobody makes moves just for the sake of it. Even picking someone "as a depth" means not giving a chance to a guy you already had hoping for it.

Unless there is a specific team you feel really wants him trading him isn't worth it. At least that's the conventional logic.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’d be surprised if in the coming days or weeks leading up to camp if Mckeown wasn’t traded for a mid to late round pick or similarly valued minor league player. I don’t think the braintrust would have qualified him if they were Ok with losing him for free. He deserves a trade/opportunity like Carrick got.

Edit-Trevor Carrick, that is.

Reactions: Hockyluv21

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean Toronto was almost in exact same situation with Carrick and he was worth conditional 7th in the end.

Major difference being that Connor Carrick was already on waivers and had a reputation at the time for not being very good at the NHL level for two different franchises. That has changed somewhat with his play in NJ, but back then he had pretty low value.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I’d be surprised if in the coming days or weeks leading up to camp if Mckeown wasn’t traded for a mid to late round pick or similarly valued minor league player. I don’t think the braintrust would have qualified him if they were Ok with losing him for free. He deserves a trade/opportunity like Carrick got.

Yes, San Jose was the perfect landing spot for Carrick considering that he played so well at the AHL level and that they need cheap guys on the bottom pair with three huge contracts on that blue line (EK, Burns, Vlasic). Hope the Borg does the same for McKeown before training camp.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I mean Toronto was almost in exact same situation with Carrick and he was worth conditional 7th in the end. So again, trading a player like that away basically means losing him for nothing. I mean if somebody offers a 4th rounder or something, sure, take it. But usually, the value isn't there.

If somebody picks him just because they can with no real role in mind there is a decent chance you can just re-claim him from waivers a month later. Again, the waivers aren't as easy as video games make them seem, those are real people involved, nobody makes moves just for the sake of it. Even picking someone "as a depth" means not giving a chance to a guy you already had hoping for it.

Unless there is a specific team you feel really wants him trading him isn't worth it. At least that's the conventional logic.

Well, McKeown is a 23 yo 2nd round pick who has developed about how I'd expect someone in that range to successfully develop. So while he's still not proven at the NHL level (again, with little opportunity) he's had what I see as a successful progression to this point. Sure, some non-first-round picks exceed expectations, but what is the proportion of non first rounders that turn out to be Ahos or Slavins (lol) as compared to those who never make it at all? I've got to think the fact that McKeown, at a position that is purportedly in short supply, who has proven to still be on a reasonably successful development track , brings more value than a late round draft pick. I'd guess at least a 3rd round pick.

I realize that I might be biased around a trade so I asked myself what I'd give up to get McKeown if he was in another organization and the Canes were really shallow on the right side. Based on what he's done in Charlotte, I'd easily give up a 3rd rounder and possibly more. Of course I could be wrong; it looks like we'll find out shortly.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Apathy

I get what you guys are saying, but then the exact same could be said for Washington. It's even probable that a spot opens up as soon as this year, if they move Gudas for cap reasons for example. The opportunity in Carolina, is no better than it was in Washington, perhaps even more challenging.... if you take his reasoning, as I had posted, at face value. I'm not saying there isn't long-term opportunity with Carolina, just that it doesn't appear to be any better than what was in Washington.

I get that, but none of us know what his motivation is. He's 23 years old and the Caps consist of:

Ovi: 33
Oshi: 32
Backstrom: 31
Hagelin, Eller: 30
Holtby, Carlsson, Gudas, Dowd: 29
Panik, Orlov, Kempny, Jensen: 28
Kuznetsov, Hathaway: 27
Wilson, Djoos: 25
Siegenthaler, Vrana: 23

Now look at Carolina:
Staal: 30
Haula, TVR: 28
Dzingel, Martinook, Mrazek, Faulk: 27
Nino, Hamilton: 26
McGinn, Slavin: 25
Teravainen, Pesce: 24
Foegele, Wallmark, Fleury, Forsling: 23
Aho: 22
Necas, Bean: 20
Svechnikov: 19

Canes are a decidedly younger team who's best players are 25 and under. Maybe his thought is that the Canes are a young and up and coming team so it's better to sign on with a team that he feels is young, exciting and on the rise vs. one that is veteran and will try to win a cup in the next couple years, but will be a very different team in a few years.

Reactions: cptjeff

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I really want to see Carolina trade a d-man for a top 6 forward. They do that and they’ll be fun to watch.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks, but we already have one
French-Soldiers-monty-python-380142_800_441.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad