Confirmed with Link: [CAR/FLA] Scott Darling + 2020 6th Round Pick for James Reimer

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Carolina Hurricanes, a team of Finns and backup goalies?

Dunno what more do you need in life to success though.

Finn Balor, Huckleberry Finn, and Finn the Human have all signed entry level contracts with the Carolina Hurricanes.

ALL. THE. FINNS.

Reactions: Bub

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
this is best news of the day , we got rid of Darling , hope he gets help but get the F out of my team ! just knowing we we're paying for:cheers: and not even playing anywhere infuriated me so even if Reimer is a bust , all we gave is a 6th round pick , we did way worst trade before , give the Ned the kid a break , unless we get some good UFA's i dont see us making the playoffs so lets give Ned , Necas a good look , and get back in playoffs in 20-21 (i believe other teams will just try harder against us this year)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Oh... now I see what the Canes are doing. They're trying to outdo the Sens in the mediocre goalie department.
We are also not trying to be TOO competitive this year. Anderson and Nilsson are fine. Condon is about to be fired into the sun, and the others are legit prospects.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Man, Capfriendly is fast....
Carolina Hurricanes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Saved some cap space, got a better goalie than Darling. What's not to like?

I am struggling to understand why Florida did this from their perspective. It seems like very short-term thinking, costing them more in the long run to clear out just a little bit of cap room this year.
We now trade Reimer to someone, who sends FLA their own signed cheap goalie so they can buy out Darling?

Do we retain or give a pick?

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Man, Capfriendly is fast....
Carolina Hurricanes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Saved some cap space, got a better goalie than Darling. What's not to like?

I am struggling to understand why Florida did this from their perspective. It seems like very short-term thinking, costing them more in the long run to clear out just a little bit of cap room this year.

I think Florida is after russians…Panarin and Bobrovski. They need cap space for tomorrow.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We now trade Reimer to someone, who sends FLA their own signed cheap goalie so they can buy out Darling?

Do we retain or give a pick?
I think we retain....say something like $1.5 million....costs us a little more this year (than a Darling buyout), a little less next season, and disappears when we've got to re-sign Svech. To me this is a super savvy move. In the end, we can always just buy Reimer out too. What Don Waddell did was give himself more appealing options.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think Florida is after russians…Panarin and Bobrovski. They need cap space for tomorrow.

It's the cap space in 20-21 that made this deal for Florida. Compare the buyout cap hits:
19-20: Darling 1.23M, Reimer 0.958M
20-21: Darling 2.33M, Reimer 3.21M
21-22: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M
22-23: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M

That 900K in 20-21 is the big deal for Florida. The 300K this year is minimal, and the 500K comes after a new CBA and should see a higher cap.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Not the top goaltender based on performance vs. expected saving percent.

upload_2019-6-30_21-29-13.png

Yes those stats mean next to nothing, especially when it comes to important games.

I see goalies as the single most important piece of the team. A hot goalie can't be forced or buyed; Going for several goalies to have options isn't a bad decision imo, based on this argument.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Why not just re-sign McElhinney for 2 years $2M per year if the goal is a reasonably priced backup?

I think if McElhinney would sign for that it would have happened. We will see what he signs for tomorrow; this is his first and last chance at a big payday.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad