Confirmed with Link: [CAR/FLA] Scott Darling + 2020 6th Round Pick for James Reimer

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's the cap space in 20-21 that made this deal for Florida. Compare the buyout cap hits:
19-20: Darling 1.23M, Reimer 0.958M
20-21: Darling 2.33M, Reimer 3.21M
21-22: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M
22-23: Darling 1.18M, Reimer 0.658M

That 900K in 20-21 is the big deal for Florida. The 300K this year is minimal, and the 500K comes after a new CBA and should see a higher cap.
We don't know of the CBA, no one has terminated this one to end in 2020 yet.

But if they do, Reimer will have a $2.25M signing bonus that he expects paid, lockout or no lockout.

22-23 obviously is under the new one, if they get one done.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So we acquire Reimer to help facilitate Bob (or Lehner) to the Panthers, then move him to another goalie-needy team to fill up the open goalie spots, paving the way for Mrazek's return on a cheaper deal. I like this kind of thinking. Like at the draft, we have back to back 2nds so they took the goalie they want with the first, thus starting a run on goalies so they could sell the second pick to someone else for a 2nd+3rd.

All the while ridding ourselves of having to do the Darling buyout. It'll be interesting to compare how much we end up paying in draft pick/prospect capital with the buyout savings once Reimer is moved again. So far it's BUF's 6th. I suspect it'll be worth it, even compared to the $3.8m we spent on the 1st which was already decent value.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What style of play is Reimer? I think what helped us last year was that Mrazek and Mac couldn't have been different in terms of how they play in net. Emotional and wild vs. calm and positionally sound.

One of the reasons I'm glad they went after Reimer instead of someone like Mike Smith. Can you imagine a Mrazek/Smith duo?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Canes Acquire James Reimer From Panthers

No words from DW? They probably gonna trade him.

Noticed that too. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen them trade for an NHL player and not have at least 1 quite from the GM.

I have an irrational fear that they’re fixing to trade Pesce + Reimer for Nylander tomorrow after that bonus is paid(also with the thought that TOR may be in the market after moving on from Sparks and Reimer’s history there). The math almost syncs up, give or take a few hundred grand on cap hits as well...

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m all for this move, it opens up a lot of possibilities. Ned’s first year is 2 ways, so worst case scenario is we have Reimer back up whoever we sign tomorrow come next year, and either move him or buy him out a year from now.

If I was a betting man i’d say they just retain him for 50% and flip him. 1.7 for the next two years and he’s off the books.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Noticed that too. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen them trade for an NHL player and not have at least 1 quite from the GM.

I have an irrational fear that they’re fixing to trade Pesce + Reimer for Nylander tomorrow after that bonus is paid. The math almost syncs up, give or take a few hundred grand on cap hits as well...

Seeing how Zaitsev is likely going to be dumped on the incompetent Senators, I bet that Dubas wants to keep Nylander for next season.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Seeing how Zaitsev is likely going to be dumped on the incompetent Senators, I bet that Dubas wants to keep Nylander for next season.

True, it is irrational, heh. All the Pesce to TOR threads have given me a complex.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Someone's not thinking too smartly from a cap perspective, and I bet that the someone is Tallon. Would not be surprised if the Bob contract in particular is an albatross a year or two from now.

It's only shortsighted from the Panthers if the salary cap doesn't rise in 2 years time when those hits increase. They're betting it does but I wouldn't want to take that risk if I didn't need to.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What style of play is Reimer? I think what helped us last year was that Mrazek and Mac couldn't have been different in terms of how they play in net. Emotional and wild vs. calm and positionally sound.

One of the reasons I'm glad they went after Reimer instead of someone like Mike Smith. Can you imagine a Mrazek/Smith duo?

He's not dissimilar to Mrazek from what I've read, takes risks, challenges shooters, kind of all over the place.

Like you, I don't mind that, provided that the other goalie in your tandem is a more chill/positional type.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I have an irrational fear that they’re fixing to trade Pesce + Reimer for Nylander tomorrow after that bonus is paid(also with the thought that TOR may be in the market after moving on from Sparks and Reimer’s history there). The math almost syncs up, give or take a few hundred grand on cap hits as well...

Even Forsling and Forsberg got a paragraph of Waddell quotes. It is unusual that there is nothing.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It's only shortsighted from the Panthers if the salary cap doesn't rise in 2 years time when those hits increase. They're betting it does but I wouldn't want to take that risk if I didn't need to.

The risk is $300K cap space in 19-20 and $500K each in 21-22 and 22-23; the known reward is $900K cap savings in 20-21.

It's more of a balanced cap hit in Darling's buyout vs Reimer's. And that's without the bet the cap will go up in 21-22.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I am struggling to understand why Florida did this from their perspective. It seems like very short-term thinking, costing them more in the long run to clear out just a little bit of cap room this year.

Well, they did get a sixth-round pick.

As others have pointed out, the structure of Reimer's contract created a weird buyout cap-hit issue that Florida needed to avoid to sign any big contracts this summer. They preferred the more standard structure of Darling's buyout even if it was a little more expensive in total.

Why not just re-sign McElhinney for 2 years $2M per year if the goal is a reasonably priced backup?

I love these comments. The amount of assumptions in one under-20-word sentence is just staggering. On top of massively under-estimating Mac's value, this presumes that the team and the player are a match, and everything we've heard this offseason suggests that Mac eliminated us as a possibility very early in the process. I'd assumed it was over contract length, but if Reimer sticks around, that doesn't hold up. Maybe Mac just didn't really like it here for one reason or another.

Plus, doing it this way got rid of Darling, and can you really put a price on that?

All I know is that this is fun. I've gotten past the thinking that Dundon/Waddell are over their heads and I've started to trust them. It enables me to look at moves like these -- and the de Haan trade -- in terms of "what's next" instead of being critical. I'm 100 percent certain this group has a plan and they are steadfast in executing it. It's new for us, because we're used to JR not having a plan, and RF having an ultra-secret plan that only he was privvy to. This group works it all out in plain sight and I freakin' love it.

If Reimer ends up being a Mac replacement, I'm good with that. He's a good backup goalie. A little pricey, but it got rid of Darling's buyout, so probably cheaper than Mac in the end. If he moves on, that's cool, too. I'm just here for the ride.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You have to look at in terms of Demers' retention and Luongo's recapture, which last for another 2 and 3 seasons respectively. If the Panthers had bought out Reimer, the 4 year layout would have been ~$2.61 mil/~$4.86 mil/~$1.78 mil/~$.69 mil (~$9.94 mil total). With Darling, it goes ~$2.88 mil/~$3.98 mil/~$2.29 mil/~$1.18 mil (~$10.33 mil total). Tallon took on an extra $.39 mil over 4 years to give himself some extra breathing room in 20-21.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If I'm looking at this right, had they bought out Reimer they would have owed him slightly more than just buying out Darling due to the bonus. Looks like $4.733 total for Darling vs. $4.833 total for Reimer. So they get both their preferred structure and the slightly cheaper buyout, while also adding a 6th.

Reactions: My Special Purpose

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Have to wait to see how it all shakes out. Reimer alone doesn't do it. But he's as good a backup option as any, I suppose.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I wouldn’t worry about that because there’s no way Reimer is going back to Toronto after leafs fans were sending his wife hundreds of death threats.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Another good side of this, we potentially made Florida better. Florida gets Bread and Bob, the Toronto pick could get better.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's piling on. I'm ready to just let this era go and wish the man well.

D-VeGC7XkAABYMr

It's alright. He's already bounced back and found a new team. Wish him luck in his quest for the Superbowl.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Anyone still have that 2009 ESPN still of Melrose with Carolina Panthers listed in the series preview?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad