Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1M)

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
who are you lol? if you shit talk a teammate they are liable to hit you back. what more needs written on the topic? like i said, this isn't a disney movie
You just don't verbally attack your goalie after a bad game. If you do it, you are a complete piece of shit and deserve to be kicked out of team.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
DeAngelo is a hot head and a moron but he's not wicked as many see him. He gets along with his teammates despite a heated incident or two. Marc Staal who was his defensive partner for 2 years said he's never gotten into arguments or in anyone's face in the locker room over politics despite what many outsiders think. He's a class clown that his teammates like but can cross the line at times.

He had politically motivated rumors and attacks made up about him accusing him of bullying a black teammate and he had lots of weird strictly political attacks against him as well. From what I can tell, he's still friends with his close Rangers teammates and he reached out to Quinn after Quinn was fired not long ago. K'andre Miller reached out to him when those unsavory rumors were circulating. Trouba and Zibanejad didn't throw him under the bus in interviews the same day Gorton said DeAngelo had played his final game as a Ranger.

He'll be a popular teammate in Carolina. Fast and Skjei were his teammates and surely they were consulted about DeAngelo's personality and fit. I believe things reached a boiling point between DeAngelo and Quinn in NY which led to Gorton stepping in and compensating for his inexperience and mild mannered coach. That compensation turned into over compensation when Gorton decided to just cut DeAngelo the first chance he could rather than letting things cool off and rectifying a salvageable situation.

Posters get caught up in the stories and lore of this caricature "right wing nut" but maturity and temper issues aside, he's just a regular guy.
and i mean, nyr have got themselves in plenty of hot water in the last year trying to play front office politics instead of hockey, have they not?

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Also i want to point out that Georgiev was flat out horrible last year and basically lost his job to Keith Kincaid of all people. NYR should have traded him while his value was high and kept Lundqvist. Terrible mistake.

Even with half of a heart Henrik has more heart than Georgiev showed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mj2sexay

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
i'd recommend getting a job as an NHL GM if you want your feelings to have input
You are coming in really hot considering all I've done is ask a question. I didn't say anything about my feelings mattering. I asked a question because I'm curious about what people have said in this thread.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You are coming in really hot considering all I've done is ask a question. I didn't say anything about my feelings mattering. I asked a question because I'm curious about what people have said in this thread.
oh come on lol, this is so disingenuous. just say what you mean

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
oh come on lol, this is so disingenuous. just say what you mean
I didn't mean anything. I asked a question. Look at what I've posted in here. I have not once ripped on him or the signing. You are seeing things that aren't here. Someone said he'd earned a second chance and I was curious about what he'd done to earn a second chance. I didn't even said he needed to earn one but I'm curious why someone thinks he did earn one. Then someone talked about growth and maturity and again I'm curious about what he's done to show any. If you don't have an answer you can just not respond.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Obviously he showed the Canes something in that regard for them to extend themselves/extend an invitation within their franchise.
Or the canes see this for what it is, a buy low opportunity on a potential 50+ right handed defenceman. If he messes up they can bury his 1m with ease.

Reactions: mj2sexay

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Fair enough. I'm not looking for any criteria. I was trying to understand why anyone thinks he's earned a second chance (maybe a lot of people think he doesn't even need to earn one). I really wasn't trying to start a fight over this guy. I just hadn't heard anything about him since he was cut until this signing. I thought maybe people on here had some information that led to them saying things like he's earned a second chance.

Yeah, not sure why everyone ganged up on you. It's a valid question if asked in good faith.

Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Yeah, not sure why everyone ganged up on you. It's a valid question if asked in good faith.

Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview

I love how they latch onto the political crap and completely downplay all of the attitude and insubordination issues that have gotten him sidelined over the years. The Rangers had him in the pressbox for a bit due to on ice behavior shortly before the final fallout over the fight.

It makes a nice story to throw around all the buzzwords and pretend he didn't do anything wrong except have unpopular political opinions, but that's not exactly how it went down irl

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Well, yeah, why not. Tony isn't exactly known to be the smartest guy in the world. And lord knows he loves talking shit online. He even got a burner twitter account where he pumps himself up.

Was that actually his burner or someone trolling him by pretending to be him and trolling other people. The amount of shit you could stir pretending to be Tony D is unreal. Given how addicted everyone is to internet shitfight dopamine seems natural to do lol.

Reactions: Ole Gil

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I love how they latch onto the political crap and completely downplay all of the attitude and insubordination issues that have gotten him sidelined over the years. The Rangers had him in the pressbox for a bit due to on ice behavior shortly before the final fallout over the fight.

It makes a nice story to throw around all the buzzwords and pretend he didn't do anything wrong except have unpopular political opinions, but that's not exactly how it went down irl

Of course he did stuff wrong but he was made a scapegoat for an impotent team. Not unlike Kadri in Toronto. They proceeded to flounder more without him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You’ve got to deal with the criticism (rightly or wrongly) but a player of DeAngelo’s caliber at that price is, in hockey terms, essentially zero risk.

Sure, he’s an awful defender and has his problems, but any other player who puts up those point totals at the NHL level has a price far higher than DeAngelo’s.

As a Bruins fan, I will be watching this closely and wouldn’t doubt it trends positively for the Canes. If anything has a chance at making DeAngelo get his head on straight and reevaluate himself as an adult, it is what has occurred in the last however many months.

And if it doesn’t work out...it doesn’t work out. It’s a 1M AAV cap hit for a single year. I guess I just can’t see the deal really hurting the Hurricanes unless something happens that just isn’t possible to anticipate at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad