Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1M)

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
jagr for sure, lehner, bobby ryan, ken daneyko

if the guy is truly as bad as you all say (the worst person ever in the league) and becomes a respected teammate, that should be worthy of praise. can't have it both ways, either he's so bad that turning his career and reputation around will be impressive, or he's not that bad and it wouldn't be remarkable
I know Jagr had/has? a gambling problem. Did he struggle with alcohol as well?
Hope he is fine by now. Still playing hockey @50 years old, on a Czheck elite team though.
Wish him all the best.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I know Jagr had/has? a gambling problem. Did he struggle with alcohol as well?
Hope he is fine by now. Still playing hockey @50 years old, on a Czheck elite team though.
Wish him all the best.
i’m sure he’s doing great lol. but thanks for bumping this, looks like i was right. he had a great year

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
I keep seeing people talk about his behavior on and off the ice. But I really don't know what he's done. Can someone elaborate? It can be through a private message if it will derail the thread.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Brind'Amour on DeAngelo during yesterday's presser:

"The offensive ability is there, but it's actually his defense was great as well. It wasn't an issue. You know, I think the most important thing to realize to me is what he means to the group and the locker room, and they all appreciate who he is, how he is and what he does."

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

"The offensive ability is there, but it's actually his defense was great as well. It wasn't an issue. You know, I think the most important thing to realize to me is what he means to the group and the locker room, and they all appreciate who he is, how he is and what he does."
Total cancer

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never forget people on ths site said he would never play again :laugh:

But Rangers fans and that loser blogger said he was a horrible team mate and his fellow Rangers didn't like him? :huh:

Reactions: Fordy

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I keep seeing people talk about his behavior on and off the ice. But I really don't know what he's done. Can someone elaborate? It can be through a private message if it will derail the thread.
Tony's bad rep goes back to his Major Junior days, and I'm like 95% sure that it sources back to cultural differences. There was a podcast with some Rangers AHL coaches a few months ago that spoke about Tony's development, and they inadvertently confirmed my suspicions. Tony is the quintessential emotional, loudmouth idiot you find in working class Italian neighborhoods around the Northeast. He means no harm, but his personality is alien to the good ole Canadian understanding of what a hockey player should be. So he didn't get along with his coaches, which led to him being traded away from his OHL team and then his original AHL team.

When he finally made it to the NHL as a Ranger, he was infamous for making undisciplined, boneheaded plays, especially in tense moments. Then we found out that he's an unapologetic MAGA Republican (like as if a very large chunk of the league isn't), but Tony posted about it on social media, so the pearl-clutchers readied the guillotine.

The final straw in NY was a fight that he got into with Georgiev, which, we later found out, was Georgiev's fault and that Georgiev was the real asshole in the Rangers' locker room. Since signing with Carolina (and maturing both as a player and a man) Tony is clearly more even-keeled and developed as a hockey player. But the Reddit crowd will never forgive him for his tweets a few years ago.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
This one seems pretty simple - somewhere b/t $4.5-$5.25M for 2-3yrs. If he wants more than that, he’s likely gone.
$4.5m - $5.25m sounds correct, but why would either side settle for only 2 or 3 years?
$5m x 5y sounds good for Carolina, and, if they don't want to pay that for some reason, another team will gladly pay a 2nd Round Pick for the opportunity to give him that contract.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
$4.5m - $5.25m sounds correct, but why would either side settle for only 2 or 3 years?
$5m x 5y sounds good for Carolina, and, if they don't want to pay that for some reason, another team will gladly pay a 2nd Round Pick for the opportunity to give him that contract.

Why would either side commit long term?

At 2-3yrs, the Canes can use DeAngelo as a bridge to Scott Morrow. And DeAngelo, who will only be 28 or so at the end of such a contract, would be able to really cash in on his next deal if he keeps up his current level of play.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

But Rangers fans and that loser blogger said he was a horrible team mate and his fellow Rangers didn't like him? :huh:
A lot of the Ranger fans didnt say that. It was probably split 50/50 where some of the liberals who followed the team hated him automatically bc he was a vocal trump / republican supporter and slammed the guy to no end, and kept saying / wishing that his career was done. I for one blame Gorton for drawing a line in the sand on whatever the issue was and actually making it public. We wasted a good player and got no return. I'd have gladly kept him as the reports weren't actually anywhere near as bad as some made it out to be.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I dont see how now, after the Boston series and Rangers series there's people acting like he has matured and the Rangers made a mistake. What does it it take to open some eyes? I guess if you think in it as some political view you think it's all victimhood but it's clear he was still an immature fool on the ice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

That is BS, at most like 10% of the Ranger fans didn’t like him.

TDA was a very appreciated teammate in NY, but there were some real cancers in management in NY at the time too. Most noticeable John Davidson and David Quinn. Did TDA handle that great? Nah, you can’t say that. But that doesn’t taint him in every other situation.

Reactions: egelband

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This dude just irritates the f*** out of me. I'd never root for him even if he was on the Ducks... I just get a bad (douchebag) vibe from him.

• Haha
Reactions: Fordy and markog

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This one seems pretty simple - somewhere b/t $4.5-$5.25M for 2-3yrs. If he wants more than that, he’s likely gone.
He’s a ufa a year from now. Up to him if he wants some money now like Reinhart did. He was 25 and a year from ufa since he started at 19 but opted for a 3 year deal with fla.

He could simply file for arbitration and take his chances. What is the likelihood of him getting more than the $4.5 mill plus walk away threshold? That may play into Carolina‘a decision to QO him if he gets a number under that.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

To be fair, most people said he shouldn’t play again, not that he wouldn’t play again

• Haha
Reactions: Fordy

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tony's bad rep goes back to his Major Junior days, and I'm like 95% sure that it sources back to cultural differences. There was a podcast with some Rangers AHL coaches a few months ago that spoke about Tony's development, and they inadvertently confirmed my suspicions. Tony is the quintessential emotional, loudmouth idiot you find in working class Italian neighborhoods around the Northeast. He means no harm, but his personality is alien to the good ole Canadian understanding of what a hockey player should be. So he didn't get along with his coaches, which led to him being traded away from his OHL team and then his original AHL team.

When he finally made it to the NHL as a Ranger, he was infamous for making undisciplined, boneheaded plays, especially in tense moments. Then we found out that he's an unapologetic MAGA Republican (like as if a very large chunk of the league isn't), but Tony posted about it on social media, so the pearl-clutchers readied the guillotine.

The final straw in NY was a fight that he got into with Georgiev, which, we later found out, was Georgiev's fault and that Georgiev was the real asshole in the Rangers' locker room. Since signing with Carolina (and maturing both as a player and a man) Tony is clearly more even-keeled and developed as a hockey player. But the Reddit crowd will never forgive him for his tweets a few years ago.
I’m not sure Georgiev being a bad teammate is actually so cut-and-dried. It’s a narrative that’s mostly based on projection and “evidence” like pouty facial expressions.

My belief is that simply he has a very high estimation of his own skill and is generally unhappy with his situation, not having a shot at a starter’s role.

He’ll walk this summer and I think some team will end up with a very good starting goalie. I don’t think he’s Igor-good but I could see him becoming a top-20 starter.

Reactions: Ola

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I consider DeAngelo’s to be similar to how JT Miller was when he was with the Rangers. Immature and undisciplined on the ice. The off-ice stuff probably a bit overblown. Tony probably more vocally aggressive and aggravating though.
Miller straightened out nicely. Tony looks to be still a work in progress but hopefully moving in the right direction.

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3