Speculation: Captain (Rolston - Captain To Be Named Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Am I really the stubborn one here, or is it the guy trying to pick an argument in order to pick an argument?

I said Captain isn't always the best player

You said "alot of the time it is"

Several examples have been given (of just Sabre) Captains that weren't the best player while Captain

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I don't understand how this I'd difficult. I really don't.

you made a statement "alot of Captains are the teams best player"

a few other posters have disagreed, and you are yet to confirm your point of "alot"

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Better yet, list the captain's who aren't one of the two or three best players on their teams. It's not a very long list. Salvador, Gionta (was when he was named though), Jovanovski. The end.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
the point i was making before this went off the rails, was that we have a bunch of players developing who have those traits

I agree with you on this point, and in an ideal world one of those guys would eventually rise to that position. But if Vanek were to maintain the C, I don't think it would be a travesty because of the point I made before it went off the rails.

And then, hopefully by the time Vanek left, one of those players could step in for Vanek. Girgensons or whoever else would be 26 or 27 , ready to take the C. Of course it's ridiculous to project that far, but one of those guys doesn't NEED to be pushed into that role.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
A lot doesn't mean most of the time. If it did, we'd just say "most of the time."

A lot is a vague term that can vary with context.

Everybody who's fighting stokes on this is coming off as childish.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
So Ott was Captain than i think Ott is Captain for the Season.
For me a"big Fail", Vanek play his 9th.Season.
With Vanek "C" the Sabres lose no Game in Pre season!

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Getzlaf, Chara, Staal, Benn, Weber, Tavares, Spezza, Giroux, Crosby, Backes, Thornton, Sedin, Ovechkin

I don't care if 13/30 is "a lot" or not, but who of these players are good leaders?

Benn, Spezza and Tavares don't count, they're heading into their first season as captain. Some people in Washington say Ovechkin isn't a great leader, the same thing can be said about Thornton (playoff-curse) and Sedin.

My point is that it doesn't make any sense to make your best player team captain, only because he's your best player. There are different player types out there and some players are natural leaders and some players just don't.

The best players of the team usually have a good reputation in the locker room and through the league, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're good leaders, too.

In my opinion is Ryan Callahan the best captain in the NHL. This guy does literally everything to win. And yet, I wouldn't say that he's the best player on the Rangers, even though he's definitely one of the best, but not the best.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
The best players of the team usually have a good reputation in the locker room and through the league, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're good leaders, too.

and vanek has exactly that.
http://nesn.com/2013/04/andrew-fere...s-thomas-vaneks-idea-calls-move-ultra-classy/

Vanek is the Captain wen Rolston call a other Player, that season is for nothing...
Look:
You go in the 9.th season with ONE TEAM,you 2 years Assistent Captain and than the Team is Captain loose (Trade in March) and the Coach don't named you for teh New Captain....Sorry PLEASE!
All Knows Vanek must be teh new Captain!!!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't like that it might still be up in the air for Ron Ron. Hoping he has had his choice pegged for a week, at least.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't like that it might still be up in the air for Ron Ron. Hoping he has had his choice pegged for a week, at least.

Well, he did say it would be after the last preseason game, so it's entirely possible that he's more or less made up his mind but is sticking to his word and letting things play out. My guess is he reveals it after final cuts are made.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm all for Vanek. If there's any chance he might re-sign here, it'll give him a huge role on the team and engage him in the rebuild. Plus, obviously being able to keep Vanek should make the rebuild a bit shorter, since it's one less hole we'd have to find a prospect to fill.
If he's not going to stay, then I'd rather have a temporary captain in the short term anyway. Give the young guys another year to develop and mature and see who steps up. We've got lots of younsters already on the roster that I could see emerging as leaders (Foligno, Hodgson, Pysyk, Larsson, Myers, maybe Girgensons (if he makes the team)); I'd rather see who assumes that role naturally than slap a letter on one of the kids now and hope it was the right call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad