Speculation: Captain (Rolston - Captain To Be Named Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Vanek looked like a captain last night

Agreed, and Vanek has earned it. Yes, it's a bit of an issue that he's on the last year of a contract, but sidestepping him for captaincy would exactly help if you want to re-sign him. There were these words about him not being big on rebuild, but then Vanek himself opened the door, said some things about interesting youth and nice to be a part of it. The way I see it, you engage Vanek in the rebuild by slapping a C on him.

There's also all that talk about Vanek not being a leader. I don't buy it. You can lead in different ways. Running your mouth, trying to ignite the team with hits, that's one way. The Ott-way. But you don't need a letter to do that. Being a class act is another. Like talking to the opposing teams captain about a joint celebration of the crowd right after the Boston marathon bombing. Wearing a letter is not just about leading your own team, it's also about being the teams ambassadeur. Like communicating with refs, for example. And as much as I'd like to give the C to a sandpaper-guy as payback for refs and the league not showing proper respect, I doubt it will do us any favors. :)

Vanek as C and Ehrhoff, Stafford, Ott and Hodgson as home/away A. That's my prediction. Not that big on either Stafford or Hodgson as letters though.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Agreed, and Vanek has earned it. Yes, it's a bit of an issue that he's on the last year of a contract, but sidestepping him for captaincy would exactly help if you want to re-sign him. There were these words about him not being big on rebuild, but then Vanek himself opened the door, said some things about interesting youth and nice to be a part of it. The way I see it, you engage Vanek in the rebuild by slapping a C on him.

There's also all that talk about Vanek not being a leader. I don't buy it. You can lead in different ways. Running your mouth, trying to ignite the team with hits, that's one way. The Ott-way. But you don't need a letter to do that. Being a class act is another. Like talking to the opposing teams captain about a joint celebration of the crowd right after the Boston marathon bombing. Wearing a letter is not just about leading your own team, it's also about being the teams ambassadeur. Like communicating with refs, for example. And as much as I'd like to give the C to a sandpaper-guy as payback for refs and the league not showing proper respect, I doubt it will do us any favors. :)

Vanek as C and Ehrhoff, Stafford, Ott and Hodgson as home/away A. That's my prediction. Not that big on either Stafford or Hodgson as letters though.
Agree with your point about varying types of leaders.

My biggest thing, though, is that I don't want it forced.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Me either, but I can't defend my reasoning with facts. He just doesn't strike me as captain material with what I see on the ice.

Won't be upset in the slightest if he is named captain though.

I'm not a fan of giving the C to a guy who isn't signed beyond this year and seems to be non-committal at best about re-signing.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Me either, but I can't defend my reasoning with facts. He just doesn't strike me as captain material with what I see on the ice.

Won't be upset in the slightest if he is named captain though.

Nailed it !

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
When discussing Vanek getting the C, no one seems to be addressing the pink elephant.... what if they re-sign him... long term... it's hard to take the C away from a franchise forward locked up long term... and when new leaders start emerging, and a new core.... is that a good position to be in (as a franchise)?...

ok... "pink elephant" is overdoing it... but the question is serious.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
When discussing Vanek getting the C, no one seems to be addressing the pink elephant.... what if they re-sign him... long term... it's hard to take the C away from a franchise forward locked up long term... and when new leaders start emerging, and a new core.... is that a good position to be in (as a franchise)?...

ok... "pink elephant" is overdoing it... but the question is serious.

He'll still be our best player, and by the time he's not, he'll be our most veteran player knocking on the door of some all time sabre greats in scoring, so I'd be fine with that.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
He'll still be our best player, and by the time he's not, he'll be our most veteran player knocking on the door of some all time sabre greats in scoring, so I'd be fine with that.

best player does not equal Captain

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A lot of the time it does.

So Pominville, Rivet, and Barnes were the best players while wearing a Sabre C?

How about Ruff? How about Mike Ramsey?

And that's just the Sabres.

"a lot" of the time indicates well over 50% of the time. Not the case, when you look at all the other NHL teams as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So Pominville, Rivet, and Barnes were the best players while wearing a Sabre C?

How about Ruff? How about Mike Ramsey?

And that's just the Sabres.

"a lot" of the time indicates well over 50% of the time. Not the case, when you look at all the other NHL teams as well.

Did I say always? And I didn't know "a lot" indicated anything other than "a lot".

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I've said this before, but the thing about leadership is...you don't (and shouldn't) need to have a letter on your sweater in order to be a leader, if in fact you ARE a "leader".

Whoever ends up with letters is just getting a superficial recognition of their status or contribution to the team. That doesn't preclude others from contributing leadership, and it doesn't have an overall effect on how issues are handled in the locker room, aside from who might take the lead in dealing with them.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
what does that have to do with what you said ..... ?

there are several examples right on this page that isn't the case (and that is just the Sabres !)

well, a lot really means minority of the time. Too stubborn to say, "ok guys i guess that was wrong of me to say a lot. i just think Vanek should get it"

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
well, a lot really means minority of the time. Too stubborn to say, "ok guys i guess that was wrong of me to say a lot. i just think Vanek should get it"

A lot means a lot. You guys are freaking lunatics. There have thousands of NHL captains. If 200 of them were the best players, that would be "a lot". Holy crap.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A lot means a lot. You guys are freaking lunatics. There have thousands of NHL captains. If 200 of them were the best players, that would be "a lot". Holy crap.

so if i gave you $10, and i took it from bucket full of $10's that you saw me holding. You would think, "wow that's a lot of money you just gave me compared to your bucket."

If there were thousands of captains, and only 200 of them were the best players at the time they were captains, that's not a lot compared to the thousands that were. That's the exact opposite of a lot. If there were 2,000 captains in the history of the NHL and 1,500 were the best players while they were the captains. That's a lot, compared to the number of captains overall. I know you subbornly disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad