Speculation: Captain (Rolston - Captain To Be Named Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres are in a tough spot for the captaincy. Leadership is about doing (being a good player) and being (vocal leadership, a figure that unites the team as well as communicates to the refs, opposing captain).

They've got plenty of younger players who could grow into the role: Hodgson, Foligno, Girgensons, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe, and possibly Larsson (I've never seen him play or seen his on-ice attitude).

Do you risk making Vanek the captain, only to leave in free agency if you can't re-sign him?

I'd let the players vote every month for the captaincy, see see how guys handle it. It also reduces the load being the captain for only a month. It's the safest route. Little pressure, no long-term commitments, and the team could see what leadership material it has for the future.

Lassa

Apr 16, 2013
Larsson must beoneof the most merited captains, having led his national team to the wjc gold. There were many articles at the time of his leadership skills and how he was the natural leader of the team.

He also has an under-18 silver as a captain

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Just a hunch, but I wouldn't doubt it if Rolston's choices are the guys who donned letters last night.

C-Vanek
A-Ehrhoff
A-Ott

If the team is competitive and Vanek is given the C, there is little doubt in my mind that he'd re-sign. We was visibly upset when he was spurned by Ruff; he'd be honored if Rolston slapped it on him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Just a hunch, but I wouldn't doubt it if Rolston's choices are the guys who donned letters last night.

C-Vanek
A-Ehrhoff
A-Ott

If the team is competitive and Vanek is given the C, there is little doubt in my mind that he'd re-sign. We was visibly upset when he was spurned by Ruff; he'd be honored if Rolston slapped it on him.

That's what I listed earlier, and I'd be surprised (if there's only two "A"s) if Rolston chose a different combination.

heartsabres*

what is weird ?

those 13 aren't even 50% of the teams (IF those guys were all captains right now)

Actually the poster missed Zetterberg and a case could be made for Ladd, Koivu, Brown and Landeskog
You should pay more attention. 4 teams don´t have captains including the sabres which if it is Vanek he is the best player....
Of those 4 vacancies you are looking at Stamkos or St. Louis, Vanek, Eberle or Hall and well Columbus is terrible.
So that puts it at 17 or 18 out of 26 = 65%(not including Vanek)
:handclap:
PS. That is not including the last 20 years where you are looking at Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Gretzky, Hall, Lafontaine, Lemiuex, Hawerchuk ect ect ect ect.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

C-Vanek
A-Ehrhoff
A-Ott

I went with Hodgson as the second A, but Ott's definitely a possibility.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Sabres are in a tough spot for the captaincy. Leadership is about doing (being a good player) and being (vocal leadership, a figure that unites the team as well as communicates to the refs, opposing captain).

They've got plenty of younger players who could grow into the role: Hodgson, Foligno, Girgensons, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe, and possibly Larsson (I've never seen him play or seen his on-ice attitude).

Do you risk making Vanek the captain, only to leave in free agency if you can't re-sign him?

I'd let the players vote every month for the captaincy, see see how guys handle it. It also reduces the load being the captain for only a month. It's the safest route. Little pressure, no long-term commitments, and the team could see what leadership material it has for the future.

Yes for letting the players do it.

No for doing it every month.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
has anyone kept track of who has worn the C each game through the preseason. Vanek's worn it two or three times, I know I've seen Ehrhoff wear it too, and I know I'm missing one or two other people

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
has anyone kept track of who has worn the C each game through the preseason. Vanek's worn it two or three times, I know I've seen Ehrhoff wear it too, and I know I'm missing one or two other people

Ott , Vanek and Ehrhoff wore it twice... Hodgson once.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Ott had it once or twice. Hodgson had it once.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I went with Hodgson as the second A, but Ott's definitely a possibility.

I'm starting to think four alternates is the most likely scenario after all.

I can't see them spurning Ott, who Rolston gave a letter to after Regehr and Pominville were sent packing last year. Vanek and Ehrhoff also seem like locks to wear letters.

I feel like four is necessary if they're trying to cement Hodgson as a young leader of an even younger group (which they've clearly hinted at given the times he's worn a letter in the preseason).

C-Vanek
A-Ehrhoff
A-Ott
A-Hodgson
A-Weber/Stafford/Myers (long shot)/Kaleta

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
give it to vanek already...I dont get the "he might leave next year" dilemma...that just gives us one more year to see if 1. ott resigns 2. any of hodgson, Myers, Foligno or outside shots Foligno,Larsson, girgs deserve a letter 3. Stafford or less likely C.E gets traded...

This year's technical captain is irrelevant to me. Once we see where Vanek, Miller, and Ott go the true identity of this team will be defined and then we really have a decision to make...

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
I wonder how long the staff still want to wait to decide on this matter?! Season starts in just two more days...

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I wonder how long the staff still want to wait to decide on this matter?! Season starts in just two more days...

Rolston said he's going to name a captain today or tomorrow.

Here's some fun speculation. I wonder if the reason it's taking this extra time is because they want it to be Vanek, but want him to be extended first. If that's the case then contract negotiations with Vanek might explain the delay.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Rolston said he's going to name a captain today or tomorrow.

Here's some fun speculation. I wonder if the reason it's taking this extra time is because they want it to be Vanek, but want him to be extended first. If that's the case then contract negotiations with Vanek might explain the delay.

Wonder if they'll reveal the Captain via twitter pics hinting at the choice.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Wonder if they'll reveal the Captain via twitter pics hinting at the choice.

Every 4 hours they release a teaser photo ...

First, they'll show a close up of his pupil.

Second, his right thumb.

Third, his left knee.

Fourth, his nostrils.

Fifth, his mouth

Sixth, his right ear and a little hair.

And finally the entire image of ..... Leino as the new captain :biglaugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I always felt it was going to wait until after final cuts, so I would assume it'll happen after practice today or tomorrow

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Every 4 hours they release a teaser photo ...

First, they'll show a close up of his pupil.

Second, his right thumb.

Third, his left knee.

Fourth, his nostrils.

Fifth, his mouth

Sixth, his right ear and a little hair.

And finally the entire image of ..... Leino as the new captain :biglaugh:

His full, well-coifed beard will be a dead giveaway!

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I hope the team takes the ice wednesday with duct tape over the spot where the letter would be. Every 3 minutes someone rips it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad