Speculation: Captain (Rolston - Captain To Be Named Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
i postet in other thread.

All other than Vanek become the "C" is a Joke.
He go in his 9.th Sabres Season - he is the best Scorer(in moment best offens Player) the Last years from the Sabres.
Sorry but HE is the Captain!!!

C:Vanek
A.Erhoff
A:Ott

TragicallySabres

Sep 23, 2011
South Buffalo
I'm gonna go with
C - Vanek
A - Hodgson
A - Ehrhoff

I don't think the uncertainty of Vanek will factor much into it. Hogdson is clearly being groomed into a future captain (or so it seems), and I didn't really consider Ehrhoff until he wore the C during preseason. I know it probably means nothing because they've been rotating, but since then I keep seeing him in my mind with an A. I feel like this is something close to what Rolston might choose.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Vanek with the C makes the most sense, even if it is temporary. Throwing the C on Hodgson along with the big contract is a ton of pressure to put on a kid with very little resume in the NHL and could be a big mistake.

FanboySlayer*

Vanek absolutely. Making Vanek captain should help re-sign him if things go well this season.

Of the young players my hopes would be Myers continues to mature and becomes captain material one day. Other than him my picks/hopes would be Girgensons and Foligno. If Foligno develops into a solid top 6 forward he'd actually be my first choice over Myers and Girgensons.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There isn't a single guy that is a no-brainer to me.

Vanek (& Ott) have the UFA-to-be thing.

I just don't know if Ehrhoff is captain material.

Will Weber have a big enough role with the team.

Is it too soon for CoHo?

No way on Stafford.

Who else is really out there?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think one of Ehrhoff or Vanek are the most-likely candidates, but a large part of me is hoping it ends up being Ott. I can't help but love a good troll, and Ott's such a good troll that people are actually saying they actually be "embarrassed" if he was named captain

Sign me up

Ott would be a mistake. I'd dislike the choice for several reasons. First, I think slapping the "C" on Ott would marginalize some of his more effective antics. Part of his job is to run around acting a fool and goading the other team into silly penalties or getting them off their game. I don't want that in the team's captain. I also don't want him attempting to act more professional in an effort to show he's worthy of wearing a "C" for an NHL organization, thereby limiting his effectiveness. Second, though the Ott apologists want to sweep it under the rug and pretend like it never happened, part of me can't forgive him for backing down on two occasions after his teammate (Ennis) took big, dirty hits. People wanted to run Goose and Tallinder out of town for the Lucic/Miller and Gomez/Miller incidences, yet when presented with a similar scenario with Ott, it's forgotten and they want to make him the captain? Sorry. Third, he takes stupid penalties on a frequent basis. That's not a guy I want the team looking to follow. He hurts the team almost as frequently as he helps them.

Just Say No To Ott.

Fine with Vanek or Ehrhoff as the C's. Whoever doesn't get one should get an A, and give the last one to Tallinder, ANYONE BUT ****ING STAFFORD. PLEASE ROLSTON JUST DONT GIVE ONE TO ****ING STAFFORD HOLY ****

Your disdain for Stafford is becoming over the top. We get it, you don't like him. But you don't need to invent reasons to start railing against him. He has yet to wear the "C" in preseason. It's largely accepted, even if unstated, that Stafford isn't going to be in Buffalo beyond next season, if not sooner. He's not getting the "C". Relax.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think I've heard Rolston say at least two different times that it's up to the few older players to lead the younger guys and show them how to play. To me, that means, in any order, Vanek, Ehrhoff, Ott (although I agree with Zip, but maybe an "A" on him doesn't effect much)...maybe even Tallinder.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Ott would be a mistake. I'd dislike the choice for several reasons. First, I think slapping the "C" on Ott would marginalize some of his more effective antics. Part of his job is to run around acting a fool and goading the other team into silly penalties or getting them off their game. I don't want that in the team's captain. I also don't want him attempting to act more professional in an effort to show he's worthy of wearing a "C" for an NHL organization, thereby limiting his effectiveness. Second, though the Ott apologists want to sweep it under the rug and pretend like it never happened, part of me can't forgive him for backing down on two occasions after his teammate (Ennis) took big, dirty hits. People wanted to run Goose and Tallinder out of town for the Lucic/Miller and Gomez/Miller incidences, yet when presented with a similar scenario with Ott, it's forgotten and they want to make him the captain? Sorry. Third, he takes stupid penalties on a frequent basis. That's not a guy I want the team looking to follow. He hurts the team almost as frequently as he helps them.

Just Say No To Ott.

I don't have as much of a reverence for the C as probably most hockey fans, but I agree with your view on Ott. He's a clown. He's our clown and I love him for it but you can't have him as a face of the franchise, which a captain is.

I didn't hear the Hamilton report but I wonder if the Hodgson idea is coming from more than just his gut. I feel as though he was pretty sure that Pominville was going to get it two years ago.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
To me, it comes down to the front office and not just Rolston. If Teddy & Regier really want to resign Vanek, it' a no-brainer, Vanek is captain.

Even if it was done as a joke, the way Ruff "dissed" Vanek when he named Pomms captain was a slap in the face to a very proud man. If you have any intention of resigning him, give it to him. Let's not forget, he has become more vocal on the ice after Ruff left, has been our best player (not in goal) for years and to sum it up: deserves it.

Break Buffalo tradition, announce he's been named captain and let us know there is an extension on the table for him, it's up to him but we want him here to finish his career.

As for Myers, let's not put ANY pressure on him. Let him play hockey, he's 23 years old, just acknowledged is "contract" was in his head, he doesn't need any expectations placed upon him at all. Hopefully, next year, or in a few years he's ready for a letter but he's not right now.

Ott - eh, he's already sort of the face/interviewer of the franchise but I agree with an above poster that his antics should be done without a letter. He doesn't need one.

Ernhoff - yeah, I could see him wearing a letter. Like it if he did. He's signed long term, quite, steady, on the ice more than anyone, seems like a good guy. No issues with him as one.

BUT.....

How about Kaleta? Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his but it could make sense. He's a vet now. He hustles. He's evolved his game. He's born and raised in blue and gold, he's a Sabre. He loves being a Sabre. He wants to win as a Sabre.

C - Vanek
A - Ernhoff
A - Kaleta

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
C - Vanek
A - Ehrhoff
A - Ott

One think I don't want is to have Myers be in the mix. Let him concentrate on playing hockey for now.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
C - Vanek
A - Ehrhoff
A - Ott

One think I don't want is to have Myers be in the mix. Let him concentrate on playing hockey for now.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
The Myers thing is a judgement call that Rolston and Rolston alone needs to make. If you do it you do it because you want to show faith in the kid, you want to make it very clear that you believe in him.

It doesn't have to be a disaster. As an outsider I wouldn't do it quite yet but if Rolston wants to push the kid I think crazier things have happened.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Myers thing is a judgement call that Rolston and Rolston alone needs to make. If you do it you do it because you want to show faith in the kid, you want to make it very clear that you believe in him.

It doesn't have to be a disaster. As an outsider I wouldn't do it quite yet but if Rolston wants to push the kid I think crazier things have happened.

If they had a really strong veteran to captain the team, it would be interesting if they gave the As to Myers & CoHo.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I am tired of saying, "Let Myers just play hockey". He's not a rookie or 2nd year guy we are talking about. He's been in the league long enough that I think not only can he handle wearing a letter but he just may do well with that sense of leadership.

As for Vanek, why give a letter to a guy who is more than likely out the door by March? I think he deserves it as a player on the ice but I'd rather finally get some stability with the captaincy and put it on someone who can be here for the long term.

My wish:

C-Ott
A-Myers
A-Ehrhoff
---------------

What we will see:
C-Vanek
A-Ott
A-Stafford or Ehrhoff

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I say troll the league hard:

C: John 'Ogre' Scott
A: Kaleta
A: Ott

Imagine the threads on HFBoards!

drop-da-mic.jpg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Are we the last team to have named a captain for this season?

Is there a benefit to doing it early and not waiting until the 1st game of the regular season?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Are we the last team to have named a captain for this season?

Is there a benefit to doing it early and not waiting until the 1st game of the regular season?

Not really. I just think most teams know who their hands-down leaders are.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I have never been a making someone a captain just because they are the best player on the team, like does anyone actually think OV is the best person to be captain for Washington? Now I don't know what happens inside the dressing room but Vanek just doesnt seem very captainy to me, he is inconsistent, gets down on himself, and isnt very vocal. Now a captain doesnt have to be vocal but if they are not than they lead by example and with his inconsistencies Vanek just doesn't seem to be a very good example. My favorite Captain in the NHL right now is Ryan Callahan and the closest thing we got to him (with enough experience) is Ott, someone who is consistent and is also vocal. One of the favorite things I saw Ott do last year is when Pomers was getting hammered by the reporters night in and night out he called the reporters over to him to give Pomers some relief.

C- Ott
A- Vanek
A- Ehrhoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad