Speculation: Captain (Rolston - Captain To Be Named Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Hoff deserves a letter for how many freaking hats the dude has had to wear in the past two years.

He's fought on Miller's behalf, logged 30 minutes a night when injuries were at their worst, and played shutdown minutes after Regehr was a trainwreck - all while being the best offense/possession guy on the blueline depending on the season.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If it were up to me (which it isn't), I'd give the captain to a guy who is clearly a bridge player so that Zemgus can take over when he's ready. So I woul not pick a guy you might want to keep long-term (like Vanek), a guy signed longterm (like Ehrhoff), etc. Which makes Leino the ideal choice. :sarcasm:

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I had a stafford hunch but he saw nothing in the preseason.

Could end up being Hodgson

I really have no desire to take a shot at him, but I would be really, really disappointed in that choice.

IMO the ideal traits I wait for a Captain:

- Natural leader, not a follower
- Work ethic and competitive will from birth, just born that way (see Girgensons)
- Top 6 (F), Top 4 (D) talent (Need to be at least a decent player so they are on the ice more than 6 min a game

Sorry, but other than #3 (which at times he has strayed dangerously closely to losing that status), he is woefully lacking in #1 and #2 IMO.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I really have no desire to take a shot at him, but I would be really, really disappointed in that choice.

IMO the ideal traits I wait for a Captain:

- Natural leader, not a follower
- Work ethic and competitive will from birth, just born that way (see Girgensons)
- Top 6 (F), Top 4 (D) talent (Need to be at least a decent player so they are on the ice more than 6 min a game

Sorry, but other than #3 (which at times he has strayed dangerously closely to losing that status), he is woefully lacking in #1 and #2 IMO.

I completely disagree.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I would probably feel embarrassed if Steve Ott were named captain of are team. I would like to see Cody Hodgson and Tyler Myers take big leadership roles on this team, buy all accounts they have been.

C - Hodgson
A - Myers
A - Vanek

what I expect

C - Hodgson
A - Ott
A - Vanek

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I would probably feel embarrassed if Steve Ott were named captain of are team. I would like to see Cody Hodgson and Tyler Myers take big leadership roles on this team, buy all accounts they have been.

C - Hodgson
A - Myers
A - Vanek

what I expect

C - Hodgson
A - Ott
A - Vanek

This is exactly how I feel too.

C - Vanek
A - Ott
A - Ehrhoff

Stafford and Hodgson are other candidates for letters.

cdd

Mar 4, 2007
Philly
C: Ott
A: Vanek
A: Hodgson

Ott is not Vanek/Miller. He's said that he wants to be here long term, so I think they will get it done.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I think one of Ehrhoff or Vanek are the most-likely candidates, but a large part of me is hoping it ends up being Ott. I can't help but love a good troll, and Ott's such a good troll that people are actually saying they actually be "embarrassed" if he was named captain

Sign me up

twinpeaks

Jul 17, 2013
I'd guess Vanek will be captain and Ott, Stafford, Ehrhoff, and Hodgson/Myers will rotate A's.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I will be shocked if Otter is not wearing the 'C' on opening night. They brought him in specifically for his character, culture and leadership abilities (his voice in the room). He has embraced Buffalo and the Sabres mentality since his arrival, and is exactly the type of player they want Foligno, Girgs, an down the road Kea & Bailey among others to emmulate. I would not be surprised to hear of an extension very soon, perhaps even at the presser for the 'C'.

C - Steve Ott

As for the 'A's, your guess is as good as mine... Would think there will only be 2, as the home/road thing is messy and unneccassary...

A - Vanek (Hodgson will take over when TV is dealt)
A - Weber or Ehrhoff (I think the jury is still out on TyMy. RR will likely want to see a little more mental maturation before sewing a letter on that massive shirt. IMO of course...)

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Fine with Vanek or Ehrhoff as the C's. Whoever doesn't get one should get an A, and give the last one to Tallinder, ANYONE BUT ****ING STAFFORD. PLEASE ROLSTON JUST DONT GIVE ONE TO ****ING STAFFORD HOLY ****

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I think I'd be fine if RR named Vanek captain....could add more value for a trade - leadership abilities

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Fine with Vanek or Ehrhoff as the C's. Whoever doesn't get one should get an A, and give the last one to Tallinder, ANYONE BUT ****ING STAFFORD. PLEASE ROLSTON JUST DONT GIVE ONE TO ****ING STAFFORD HOLY ****

lmao...agree on Stafford

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
Contract coming up or not, I'm a big believer in giving the C to your best guy and Vanek certainly is that.

I would go:
C - Vanek
A - Ehrhoff
A - Hodgson or Myers

There's been a lot of accounts of Myers working very hard this offseason to become a better hockey player. I'd lean towards Hodgson but if Rolston wants to try to continue to push Myers in the right direction with a letter I would fully and completely support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad